Board roles

12

Board roles

John Bryant
Hey everyone, hope you've all had a good break, and are ready for big things in 2019!

Just picking up where we left off, our first order of business as a new board is to fill roles to form an executive - specifically, a President, Secretary, and Treasurer. There's no provision in the Terms of Reference for a Vice President, but the idea has been raised - perhaps if someone is keen to fill a VP role and can mount a compelling argument for it, we should consider it. See the ToR roles for reference.

By way of a process, I suggest this:
- over the next week to Monday 14 Jan, we take nominations in this email thread
- over the subsequent week to Monday 21 Jan, we vote using something like Election Buddy (I'm happy to set it up under the [hidden email] acct, or if someone else wants to propose an alternative please feel free)
- we appoint based on the vote

It may seem like a bit of overkill, but I feel we're setting the stage for an organisation that needs transparency and good systems to thrive. The timing is such that those who need weekdays and those who need weekends for this stuff will have ample chance to participate.

For nominations, a brief note on how you see the role, and what you hope to bring to it, should suffice. We already have nominations from Alex and Adam, perhaps worth reiterating them in this thread for posterity.

Sound good?

John

Re: Board roles

Yahoo Mail Team
thanks john

happy new year all

i am.back in fiji now hoping to work with local university move to open source.

Sorry i have been inactive for awhile but m reading n keeping to date with the moves

congratulations all for taking this path

On Mon, 7 Jan. 2019 at 12:15 pm, John Bryant
[...]

Untitled (226 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Board roles

adam steer-2
Hey John, thanks for keeping this rolling! Perhaps you should nominate yourself for a leading role.

I think the timing is good, and blends ‘urgency for 2019 committeefolk’ with ‘time for good decision making’ well.

Last year I said I would be interested in chairing the board. However, I want to moderate that: I think that John really should be given this opportunity to chair the inaugural board, energy permitting. Secondly, I also feel a little like Cameron. I’m the old guard, and may be best deployed as an advisor on the sidelines; keeping some history in the mix.

Having said that - if we need an election, as in more than one choice, I’ll reiterate my willingness to occupy the chair. If that happens, I’d also love a co-chair who isn’t like me.

What’s my vision for chair? Well, fill some massive shoes. As we’ve done in the past twelve months, draw on the experience of everyone here to build a strong and open foundation for the community in the region to build on.

…and get this banner in my lounge room put up here and there at key opportunities :D

Finally, if we end up with a manel for self-nominations, I’ll withdraw. It’s 2018.

…and to everyone reading, if it helps, I’m shitting bricks about nominating myself to chair this thing. I’ve never chaired a board in my life before. I might completely suck at it, I’m sitting here thinking ‘ah crap, nobody will vote for me’ and also coming up with an excuse-a-word about reasons I couldn’t do it.

So please. If you have even a quarter of a fifteenth of a thought saying ‘ohyeah I’d love to nominate..’ hit send to the stuff you’ve typed NOW before your brain gets to ‘….but...’ and you delete it all.

Cheers

Adam

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 10:15, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alex Leith
Hi All

I'd like to nominate myself for the treasurer role.

I have over six years experience working on volunteer committees, including three as a company director on a not-for-profit (SSSI). I worked for 18 months as the chair of the SSSI Finance, Risk and Audit committee, including setting up processes and documents such as the initial terms of reference for the group, which was agreed on and formalised by the SSSI Board.

I have a bit of a vision around keeping things simple and using the right tools for the job. If the financial systems and policies are put in place right, then they should be an an enabler, and not a hindrance. We should use excellent cloud-based tools, coupled with the potential for an external book keeper if required and there's budget for it. I also have a number of external mentors in the finance and governance space that I can lean on to ensure that systems are solid.

Kind regards,

Alex

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 19:49 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dr. Adam Steer
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
skype: adam.d.steer
tweet: @adamdsteer

Alex Leith
0419 189 050

Re: Board roles

John Bryant
Hey all

Thanks Adam for the encouragement. I would like to nominate myself for the role of President.

I see the work ahead of this board for 2019 as:
- laying the foundation for future growth by creating a formal entity, and setting up formal OSGeo & OSMF chapters
- engaging with the community to grow a membership
- developing systems and processes to empower members, keep them engaged & contributing, and get them involved
- reaching and empowering different constituencies, including the OpenStreetMap community
- testing out methods for expanding our reach (presence at other events, further event organising, strategic partnerships)

I would hope that by the time the November conference takes place, we're in a strong position to take advantage of that event to kick off a new period of growth (quantitative and qualitative).

As President, I'd see my role as being focused on coordinating the efforts of this board, using a consensus-based decision model wherever possible, setting an agenda with strong input from the board and membership. I'd be excited about developing relationships between OSGeo Oceania and other orgs in Oceania and beyond, and about providing a means for OSGeo and OSMF to expand their reach in Oceania.

One caveat I have to raise though, some may consider it major: I'll be physically outside the region for part of the year. I'll be back well before the November conference, but will be working remotely in Canada and Europe for a few months, and attending FOSS4G in Bucharest in August (might see some of you there!). Personally I don't see it as a problem, because we're basically a remote-first organisation, and I'd put in the same amount of energy as if I were here... but the time difference will be considerable, and I obviously wouldn't be able to make any in-person meetings in Oceania during that time. If you see this as an obstacle, I totally understand.

Cheers
John

Re: Board roles

Edoardo Neerhut
Thanks for stepping up guys!

Nomination process sounds good to me John and I'd love to see all three of you as executives on the board. I can see you all doing well in any of those positions.
Don't see any major issues with your travel John, we'll make it work.

+1 for Election buddy system.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 17:16, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ed, John, Alex.

To wake this up a bit - we are still missing a secretary nomination. I think this should *not* be me, I was a secretary to a regional fire fighting unit for a while, and while useful, I didn’t enjoy it. Maybe I could try again - and I know I suck at organisational record keeping, so whatever systems get in place will be the laziest possible. Anyway - nominate yourselves!

…and we’re missing a number of important voices (we’re nominating and voting on a manel still :D )

This is the week John had proposed for voting - so please speak up!

As a self-nominated candidate for president, I don’t have a compelling reason that you should vote for me instead of John. To articulate a vision anyway:
- much of what John said. I’d love barriers to entry remaining as low as possible (like OSGeo - create yourself a member page, you’re a member :D )
- working on a GeoForAll presence in Oceania - education is a key component of building a community!
- building corporate/university/government/intergovernment relationships for funding - specifically to work on the Good Mojo initiative and travel grants.

Perhaps some of these are second-order goals, and John’s focus on laying the foundation of a transparent, open, diverse and equitable organisation is the primary task right now.

Cheers

Adam

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 19:17, Edoardo Neerhut <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hear hear. Today's the day specified as a deadline for taking nominations, so let's get them in by 5PM AEDT.

Cheers
John

Re: Board roles

Alex Leith
I'm not sure what role a secretary in our organisation would form, but in SSSI, it's a formal role (required by ASIC?) and is NOT an operational role. The secretary is more of a backroom figure, with responsibility for signing things, but not for setting up meetings and such. That work is undertaken by paid staff, so the CEO and admin staff.

Having a read of this, though: http://aicd.companydirectors.com.au/resources/all-sectors/roles-duties-and-responsibilities/role-of-the-company-secretary?no_redirect=true it seems that your take is about right, Adam, and the secretary would normally be setting up meetings and such. The way we've operated so far is that the 'president' has taken on that role. Anyhow, we may be able to get by for a while without a secretary, but will need one when we go formal!

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 08:53 adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Silk
Note that secretary is a bit of a special role in that there are some requirements around it depending on the legal structure that we determine for the organisation.

If we are using Australian legal structures, which seems to be sensible given Australia has the largest population, then:

For an incorporated association, the secretary must live in the state or territory that the association is incorporated in.
For a company limited by guarantee (common structure for not-for-profits and charities that operate Australia-wide), the secretary must live in Australia.

That's my understanding from a bit of web research and 0 experience. Please correct me if I've got it wrong.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I agree with this. This will take on greater importance if & when we formalise, see our ToR for the role description:

Secretary (maintain records, keep the organisation in good standing)

So this means ensuring we're operating within the rules of whatever jurisdiction we formalise in.

Cheers
John

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 09:16, Daniel Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Daniel, Alex - yes, the secretary has special meaning; and can even just be a nominated lawyer/accountant. However, the secretary can be an operational role (as it is for EOA). That’s something we can decide. I think it’s useful to have an operational role with that capacity, but defer to expertise beyond mine!

I think Daniel’s research is great - to go a little off topic, that information would push me heavily toward a company limited by guarantee - but that’s pre-emptive democracy :D

[...]

one more quick Q - I think we’re also asking for ‘nominate yourself to be on the OSGeo Oceania board as an ordinary member’ as well as executive roles.

Is that correct?
Cheers

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 09:22, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Per motion passed on 20th December, self nominations for the board were open until 8th January.

Given that date has passed, I believe the inaugural board is:
Adam Steer, Alex Leith, Andrew Harvey, Cameron Shorter, Daniel Silk, Edoardo Neerhut, Greg Lauer, John Bryant, Kerry Smyth, Martin Tomko, and Trisha Moriarty

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 11:27 AM adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Greg Lauer

I would like to nomInate myself for for position of secretary. I have past experience in both setting up and being on boards of various companies. I have a reasonable understanding of the rules and regulations pertaining to ASIC in regards to PTY and I don’t think not-for-profit is much different (not that I am suggesting at this stage that we go down that route). Also have experience in NZ based companies.

I do need to be clear that I have a reasonably heavy travel schedule ( typing this in lounge at Singapore) but as John has mentioned this should not be so much of a problem with the remote technologies we can use.

I am keen to work on putting together a proposal for a formal structure and would assume most of the executive board would be part of this.

Cheers

Greg

On 14 Jan 2019, at 06:21, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Brent Wood-2
Hi guys,

Firstly thanks for the great work you have already done & are continuing!! Fantastic stuff!!!

I'm happy to be involved & help where I can but I have found in the past, with Wellylug, NZOSS & other roles that spending several months a year at sea (which is why I missed Melbourne!) with minimal internet access at best just doesn't work for undertaking a committed formal role in this sort of thing...

I have done this sort of thing before, as the local organiser for :

I do have one question, though. It is not clear to me, from lurking on the mailing list, just how involved this board is with the local organisers of FOSS4G:Oceania events - and exactly what the roles & relationships between the board and the local organising team are. I'm assuming it will follow the OSGEO/FOSS4G model, but figured clarification might be useful.

I haven't seen this referenced, but it seems a good guideline:

Cheers,

  Brent Wood

Re: Board roles

Daniel Silk
Hi Brent

I think those details are covered in the terms of reference for OSGeo Oceania: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13aZ6L08ke1-l32I7c00MahyEKgxeZkq8/view

Essentially, the board provides oversight of the conference committee, and ongoing stewardship of the conference series. The conference committee is accountable to the board. The board will only intervene in the activities of the conference committee if there is a clear reason to do so; in general, a light touch is preferred. I think this closely follows the OSGeo / FOSS4G model.

The inaugural board consists of people that organised the 2018 conference, many of whom have expressed a desire to help organise the 2019 conference in some capacity, so there will be quite a bit of overlap while OSGeo Oceania matures as an organisation.

Cheers
Daniel

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:36 PM Brent Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

OK everyone, thanks so much for the nominations!

By my read of it, we have the following elected by acclamation:
- Alex Leith as Treasurer
- Greg Lauer as Secretary

With 2 nominations for President, we'll run an election for that position... I'll kick this off shortly. All 12 board members should get an email invitation to vote. I've set it up in ElectionBuddy in an account under the [hidden email] email, it seems like a very nice system for running these things transparently. I'd invite anyone who wishes to log into the account to do so - ping me for the login details. The election will run until next Monday 21st and the details should come through in the election email.

Cheers!
John

12