Blender Foundation as example

Richard Duivenvoorde
Last week there was a Blender Conference here in Amsterdam, with all
video's online:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa1F2ddGya_8Wzpajwu1EtiS8E1Exm82S

For those wanting to create realistic 3D-donuts to be used in QGIS
checkout [0] :-)

But sending this to this list, because the Keynote of Ton Roosendaal
which is rather inspiring for FOSS lovers, and Blender being a 'Winner'
(too?)..

https://youtu.be/Jcl3--cbULk

I thought maybe it could be an example for QGIS-Foundation?

Other video's are also cool to look at...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPrnSACiTJ4

Re: Blender Foundation as example

pcav
Il 2019-11-03 14:13 Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:

> But sending this to this list, because the Keynote of Ton Roosendaal
> which is rather inspiring for FOSS lovers, and Blender being a 'Winner'
> (too?)..
>
> https://youtu.be/Jcl3--cbULk
>
> I thought maybe it could be an example for QGIS-Foundation?
>
> Other video's are also cool to look at...

thanks Richard. could you please quickly summarize what is most relevant
to us?
cheers
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

On 03/11/2019 19.57, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Il 2019-11-03 14:13 Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
>
>> But sending this to this list, because the Keynote of Ton Roosendaal
>> which is rather inspiring for FOSS lovers, and Blender being a 'Winner'
>> (too?)..
>>
>> https://youtu.be/Jcl3--cbULk
>>
>> I thought maybe it could be an example for QGIS-Foundation?
>>
>> Other video's are also cool to look at...
>
> thanks Richard. could you please quickly summarize what is most relevant

Just it is an inspiring keynote, and he explains *what* is important for
Blender: "the community', and invites (big!) companies to be part of the
community. Instead of trying to be or trying to be a company.

If I am correct they split up in a foundation and an 'institute', the
latter being responsible for bringing up money (via courses) etc

It's just 25 minutes, you can skip what you do not like (like the first
6,5 minute where he counts people :-) )

Richard

Re: Blender Foundation as example

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Richard

So I watched it through and it seems to be pretty similar to my vision for QGIS:

* QGIS.org which provides a secretariat with paid admin and key infrastructure staff paid on a professional full time basis. QGIS.org being non-profit and not taking on commercial work or trying to compete with the various companies that exist out there already as part of the developer ecosystem.
* QGIS Community which is made up of our already awesome community of contributors, developers, fans and cheerleaders. The community contributes in all the ways that the .org could never do like supporting fellow users, making cool I ? SHP stickers, writing cool tutorials etc.

I struggled to understand him a lot of the time so I might have missed some nuance, but from where I sit if Blender is what you see as a project that ‘does it right’, QGIS is heading in a good direction!

Regards

Tim

On 3 Nov 2019, at 20:32, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.