Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

12

Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

Pierre Abbat
I've written some programs and would like to start incubating them.

Bezitopo is a project to create a CAD program specifically for land surveying.
I've been working on it for a little over twelve years and have built a lot of
infrastructure. It can read a list of points (such as ground shots) and make a
TIN, then you can flip edges and designate them as breaklines and draw
contours. It converts coordinates from lat-long to state plane (only in North
Carolina and Georgia so far) and back.

PerfectTIN reads a point cloud in LAS format (I'm going to fork libplyxx with
the new name plytapus, and then it should also be able to read PLY on multiple
platforms; right now that's available only on Linux) and converts it to a TIN,
which it can export in several formats (not including PLY, but that should be
easy to add). I started the project less than a year ago by copying code from
Bezitopo and modifying the classes (PerfectTIN's triangles have point cloud
dots, Bezitopo's don't; Bezitopo's points have descriptions, PerfectTIN's
don't). It is now good enough to sell; I should be getting some money within a
month or two from someone I know selling it along with other software to drone
users. I also have an offer (but no number yet) from another company for
developing specific features in it.

Both programs are LGPL-licensed (which implies that the drone users will be
getting a source tarball with the Windows binary) and published on my GitHub
site. SiteCheck, one of the Bezitopo programs, can read TIN files generated by
PerfectTIN and tell the elevation at any xy coordinate in the TIN. They are in
C++, with mixed style, as my style has changed over the years I've been
working on Bezitopo. Both use Qt, except the CLI PerfectTIN program.

One of the criteria for incubation is accepting contributions to the source
code. I'm willing to accept contributions, but there haven't been any. There
are several things to do that don't involve coding C++:
*Drawing three foot icons
*Translations (I do English and Spanish, and the company has dibs on another
language)
*Entering other coordinate systems (Gauss-Krüger transverse Mercator and
Lambert conformal conic are supported; for oblique Mercator I have to find out
mathematically what it is and whether there's more than one).

Pierre
--
.i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do
.ibabo damba do .ibabo do jinga

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett
Greeting Pierre, thanks for joining this email list.

Can I ask for two things:
- your osgeo user id, you can create one here
- links to the source code repository

We have three stages at osgeo to support free/open geospatial software:

1) OSGeo website, run by the marketing committee but we check the software project
2) OSGeo Community program, run by the osgeo board but we check the software project
3) OSGeo Project (as a full fledged committee, run by the osgeo board but we work with the project team to meet the requirements)

For the above we tend to focus on the people/team and view this as an outreach/advocacy activity. Given your very complete description you are already well aware of how open source software works.

Reference:

On Thursday, 2 January 2020 09.06.25 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> Greeting Pierre, thanks for joining this email list.
>
> Can I ask for two things:
> - your osgeo user id, you can create one here
> - links to the source code repository

PierreAbbat

https://github.com/phma/bezitopo
https://github.com/phma/perfecttin

Pierre
--
Lanthanidia deliciosa: What the kiwifruit would be
if it weren't so radioactive.

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett
Thanks!

Going over our quick checklist ...

1. Geospatial
- README - described as "land surveying programming" so very much geospatial
- I would recommend changing to README.md markdown if you are hosted on GitHub

2. Open Source
- File headers have LGPL boilerplate, indicating "You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License and Lesser General Public License along with Bezitopo"
- I do not see a LICENSE.txt or LICENSE.md included in the source code repository? ...
- aside: Amusingly GitHub picked up that the COPYING file was GPL, and I see COPYING.LESSER is LGPL. These two do not mix!
- Can you explain why two licenses are present? The terms of GPL mean that any LGPL code you are bundling here is actually distributed as GPL...

3. Accepts contributions
- AUTHORS shows one person
- pull-requests shows 0, ...
- Recommend adding a CONTRIBUTING.md (shown to contributors when they make a pull-request) so you can be clear the project is open to working with others

--
Jody Garnett

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 at 09:12, Pierre Abbat <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday, 2 January 2020 09.06.25 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> Greeting Pierre, thanks for joining this email list.
>
> Can I ask for two things:
> - your osgeo user id, you can create one here
> - links to the source code repository

PierreAbbat

https://github.com/phma/bezitopo
https://github.com/phma/perfecttin

Pierre
--
Lanthanidia deliciosa: What the kiwifruit would be
if it weren't so radioactive.

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett
Going over checklist for https://github.com/phma/perfecttin

1. geospatial
- README - checks out

2. license
- Same conflict with both GPL and LGPL license in play

3. Accepts contributor
- Same recommendation for a CONTIRBUTING.md file

Thanks Pierre, if we can untangle LGPL+GPL conflict it would be great to include these on the website.

On Monday, 6 January 2020 17.31.31 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> Going over our quick checklist ...
>
> https://github.com/phma/bezitopo
> 1. Geospatial
> - README - described as "land surveying programming" so very much geospatial
> - I would recommend changing to README.md markdown if you are hosted on
> GitHub

Can you recommend a Markdown editor, or at least viewer, so that I can see
what it'll look like before I commit it?

> 2. Open Source
> - File headers have LGPL boilerplate, indicating "You should have received
> a copy of the GNU General Public License and Lesser General Public License
> along with Bezitopo"
> - I do not see a LICENSE.txt or LICENSE.md included in the source code
> repository? ...
> - aside: Amusingly GitHub picked up
> <https://github.com/phma/bezitopo/community> that the COPYING file was GPL,
> and I see COPYING.LESSER is LGPL. These two do not mix!
> - Can you explain why two licenses are present? The terms of GPL mean that
> any LGPL code you are bundling here is actually distributed as GPL...

See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html . Putting software under the
LGPL requires both files. One is the GPL; the other says that the software may
be combined with other programs that are not (L)GPL licensed under certain
conditions.

Transmer, one of the Bezitopo programs, is GPL licensed because it uses the
FFTW library. But it's not installed and only developers have any reason to
use it. Transmer computes coefficients for transverse Mercator projections,
which are in a file included in the source distribution.

Part of Bezitopo is a library, which I've used in some personal projects, and
which a company is proposing to use as a plugin to another CAD program.
PerfectTIN is not yet a library, but another company wants to call it from
their program.

In Quadlods (not geospatial), the library is one source file and its header,
and the rest of the program is GPL licensed. I didn't do that with Bezitopo
because the library is many files.

> 3. Accepts contributions
> - AUTHORS <https://github.com/phma/bezitopo/blob/master/AUTHORS> shows one
> person
> - pull-requests <https://github.com/phma/bezitopo/pulls> shows 0, ...
> - Recommend adding a CONTRIBUTING.md (shown to contributors when they make
> a pull-request) so you can be clear the project is open to working with
> others

What should go in the CONTRIBUTING file?

As I mentioned earlier, I've had no offers of contributions. I've asked for
contributions to Bezitopo years ago, and I've had some "help wanted" issues in
Github, but no one's offered to help with the issues. Back in 2015, someone
tried to help, but he didn't write any code, and it turned out that he didn't
understand what he was doing.

Pierre
--
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett

Can you recommend a Markdown editor, or at least viewer, so that I can see
what it'll look like before I commit it?

Just checking, edit the file directly on GitHub gives you a chance to preview and see what the result looks like.

> 2. Open Source
> - File headers have LGPL boilerplate, indicating "You should have received
> a copy of the GNU General Public License and Lesser General Public License
> along with Bezitopo"
> - I do not see a LICENSE.txt or LICENSE.md included in the source code
> repository? ...
> - aside: Amusingly GitHub picked up
> <https://github.com/phma/bezitopo/community> that the COPYING file was GPL,
> and I see COPYING.LESSER is LGPL. These two do not mix!
> - Can you explain why two licenses are present? The terms of GPL mean that
> any LGPL code you are bundling here is actually distributed as GPL...

See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html . Putting software under the
LGPL requires both files. One is the GPL; the other says that the software may
be combined with other programs that are not (L)GPL licensed under certain
conditions.

That is ... very interesting. Not sure I have sen that before (many of the programs I know that use LGPL use the earlier 2.x version).

Reading on that page it appears your header does not need to reference both licenses:

> This statement should go near the beginning of every source file, close to the copyright notices. When using the Lesser GPL, insert the word “Lesser” before “General” in all three places. When using the GNU AGPL, insert the word “Affero” before “General” in all three places.

Still I an interested I have not seen this before, checking: https://github.com/search?l=&q=filename%3ACOPYING.LESSER&type=Code
- shows 37054 repositories with COPYING.LESSER
- randomly clicking on them shows about 50/50 having both files

So thanks I have learned something today :)

Transmer, one of the Bezitopo programs, is GPL licensed because it uses the
FFTW library. But it's not installed and only developers have any reason to
use it. Transmer computes coefficients for transverse Mercator projections,
which are in a file included in the source distribution.

That is interesting, so that specific program is GPL only. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Part of Bezitopo is a library, which I've used in some personal projects, and
which a company is proposing to use as a plugin to another CAD program.
PerfectTIN is not yet a library, but another company wants to call it from
their program.

In Quadlods (not geospatial), the library is one source file and its header,
and the rest of the program is GPL licensed. I didn't do that with Bezitopo
because the library is many files.

> 3. Accepts contributions
> - AUTHORS <https://github.com/phma/bezitopo/blob/master/AUTHORS> shows one
> person
> - pull-requests <https://github.com/phma/bezitopo/pulls> shows 0, ...
> - Recommend adding a CONTRIBUTING.md (shown to contributors when they make
> a pull-request) so you can be clear the project is open to working with
> others

What should go in the CONTRIBUTING file?

It can be really short, what I tend to cover is:
- We welcome contributions - thank you
- Please follow our source code convention
- Please include a test case, and update the documentation
- Reminder this is an open source project and you are giving permission to share your contribution with others

Here are some examples:

As I mentioned earlier, I've had no offers of contributions. I've asked for
contributions to Bezitopo years ago, and I've had some "help wanted" issues in
Github, but no one's offered to help with the issues. Back in 2015, someone
tried to help, but he didn't write any code, and it turned out that he didn't
understand what he was doing.

I completely understand, what we are doing here is double checking you have thought about having contributors. Many companies start an open source project, but did not bother to think through the consequences. Example if they accept a contribution they no longer have exclusive copyright over the work.

Pierre
--
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett
Pierre:

Thanks for answering my questions, the discussion/examples on CONTRIBUTING.md is only a recommendation.

As such I have adjusted your website permissions so you can create pages for both bezitopo and perfecttin.  The website uses "forms" rather than posts, there is an example here for adding service providers showing some screen snaps. Adding a project is very similar.
--
Jody Garnett

On Monday, 6 January 2020 21.57.45 EST Jody Garnett wrote:

> > What should go in the CONTRIBUTING file?
>
> It can be really short, what I tend to cover is:
> - We welcome contributions - thank you
> - Please follow our source code convention
> - Please include a test case, and update the documentation
> - Reminder this is an open source project and you are giving permission to
> share your contribution with others
>
> Here are some examples:
> - https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
> - https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
> - https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

I installed Ghostwriter and just added a CONTRIBUTING file to Bezitopo. Could
you take a look? Then I'll add one to PerfectTIN; it will be similar.

Sorry for the delay. I've been busy copying stuff to a new computer so that I
can send the laptop back for repairs, and I've been surveying a lot in a
partly unbearable plat with a confusing sequence of deeds.

Pierre
--
When a barnacle settles down, its brain disintegrates.
Já não percebe nada, já não percebe nada.

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett
Looks great, and makes it clear you have thought through how to work with others :)
--
Jody Garnett

On Friday, 10 January 2020 16.30.59 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> Looks great, and makes it clear you have thought through how to work with
> others :)

PerfectTIN now has a CONTRIBUTING file, which I added a week ago.

Would someone like to make a pull request which requires that I check whether
it works properly? I'm not sure how to handle that.

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

Pierre Abbat
On Saturday, 18 January 2020 23.38.51 EST Pierre Abbat wrote:
> Would someone like to make a pull request which requires that I check
> whether it works properly? I'm not sure how to handle that.

Suggestion: add an ellipsoid or a new translation.

Pierre
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

Pierre Abbat
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 17.53.51 EST Jody Garnett wrote:

> Pierre:
>
> Thanks for answering my questions, the discussion/examples on
> CONTRIBUTING.md is only a recommendation.
>
> As such I have adjusted your website permissions so you can create pages
> for both bezitopo and perfecttin.  The website uses "forms" rather than
> posts, there is an example here for adding service providers
> <https://www.osgeo.org/community/getting-started-osgeo/add-service-provider/
> > showing
> some screen snaps. Adding a project is very similar.

Initiative
atom-section-background-image
CPT events
CPT GeoForAll Labs
What's all this mean?

Pierre
--
gau do li'i co'e kei do

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett
That is .... terrible! Something must of happened when upgrading Wordpress!
--
Jody Garnett

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 12:28, Pierre Abbat <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 17.53.51 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> Pierre:
>
> Thanks for answering my questions, the discussion/examples on
> CONTRIBUTING.md is only a recommendation.
>
> As such I have adjusted your website permissions so you can create pages
> for both bezitopo and perfecttin.  The website uses "forms" rather than
> posts, there is an example here for adding service providers
> <https://www.osgeo.org/community/getting-started-osgeo/add-service-provider/
> > showing
> some screen snaps. Adding a project is very similar.

Initiative
atom-section-background-image
CPT events
CPT GeoForAll Labs
What's all this mean?

Pierre
--
gau do li'i co'e kei do

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett

Thanks for letting me know :)
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 13:54, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is .... terrible! Something must of happened when upgrading Wordpress!
--
Jody Garnett

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 12:28, Pierre Abbat <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 17.53.51 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> Pierre:
>
> Thanks for answering my questions, the discussion/examples on
> CONTRIBUTING.md is only a recommendation.
>
> As such I have adjusted your website permissions so you can create pages
> for both bezitopo and perfecttin.  The website uses "forms" rather than
> posts, there is an example here for adding service providers
> <https://www.osgeo.org/community/getting-started-osgeo/add-service-provider/
> > showing
> some screen snaps. Adding a project is very similar.

Initiative
atom-section-background-image
CPT events
CPT GeoForAll Labs
What's all this mean?

Pierre
--
gau do li'i co'e kei do

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett
It is now fixed; upgrades are apparently fun.
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 14:06, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for letting me know :)

On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 22.38.12 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> It is now fixed; upgrades are apparently fun.

I think I've entered Bezitopo. Entering PerfectTIN, though, I ran into some
problems:
*The "Remember Me" checkbox doesn't work.
*I tried to upload a screenshot, but it ran into an error processing it.
*I started writing it, then went out to a meeting, and came back some hours
later. I tried to preview it, but saw only a draft of a post saying "POSTS ARE
NOT SHOWN PLEASE DO NOT CREATE THEM". I tried again and it said that my
session had expired. I tried to save a draft, and all I had written
disappeared!

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett

Just reading this now, will share a link to your email with system admin committee.

Can you try again?

Note “posts” are not used for the website (but we cannot turn them off). Each different kind of content type has an editor with several tabs.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 1:53 AM Pierre Abbat <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 22.38.12 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> It is now fixed; upgrades are apparently fun.

I think I've entered Bezitopo. Entering PerfectTIN, though, I ran into some
problems:
*The "Remember Me" checkbox doesn't work.
*I tried to upload a screenshot, but it ran into an error processing it.
*I started writing it, then went out to a meeting, and came back some hours
later. I tried to preview it, but saw only a draft of a post saying "POSTS ARE
NOT SHOWN PLEASE DO NOT CREATE THEM". I tried again and it said that my
session had expired. I tried to save a draft, and all I had written
disappeared!

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.

Jody Garnett

Re: Bezitopo and PerfectTIN

jody.garnett
I just tried editing your page, and was able to upload a picture, wait for it to process, and then select it.

I hope it is fixed for you now?
--
Jody Garnett

On Friday, 31 January 2020 00.56.27 EST Jody Garnett wrote:
> I just tried editing your page, and was able to upload a picture, wait for
> it to process, and then select it.
>
> I hope it is fixed for you now?

I tried the same image and it worked this time. I was previously able to
upload the PerfectTIN icon. The image it failed on is a screenshot of
PerfectTIN.

Pierre

--
sei do'anai mi'a djuno puze'e noroi nalselganse srera

12