Beta4 release and postgres

José Vicente Higón-2
Hi,
I've tried to install geonetwork 2.1.0 beta4 using postgres as backend. First
of all I installed geonetwork with the database embedded and it worked fine.
Secondly I ran gast to change the database but several errors (messages)
occured:
1. Cyclic reference found: [Metadata, Relations, ...]
2. ERROR: the value is too long for the type character varying(32)

The web application works fine despite these errors, but I couldn't log in. I
saw the table called  "Users" was empty and I tried to insert a record into
it but I haven't be able to login yet.

Any clue?
I'm using postgres 8.1 in kubuntu feisty, with a database with encoding UTF-8.

Thanks in advance.

--
José Vicente Higón Valero
Grupo desarrollo gvSIG.

Re: Beta4 release and postgres

Andrea Carboni-2
Hi José,

the first error is strange. I cannot say why it is there.
The second one is a bug in the sql schema. To fix it, you have to
increase the Users.password field to varchar(40) into the script
located in gast/setup/sql/create-db-postgres.sql

Cheers,
Andrea

> Hi,
> I've tried to install geonetwork 2.1.0 beta4 using postgres as backend. First
> of all I installed geonetwork with the database embedded and it worked fine.
> Secondly I ran gast to change the database but several errors (messages)
> occured:
> 1. Cyclic reference found: [Metadata, Relations, ...]
> 2. ERROR: the value is too long for the type character varying(32)
>
> The web application works fine despite these errors, but I couldn't log in. I
> saw the table called  "Users" was empty and I tried to insert a record into
> it but I haven't be able to login yet.
>
> Any clue?
> I'm using postgres 8.1 in kubuntu feisty, with a database with encoding UTF-8.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: Beta4 release and postgres

Amos Hayes

I have had both those problems as well. So far, no luck with
geonetwork and postgres backend.

Postgres 8.1.4 + PostGIS
Sun Java 6
RHEL 4

--
Amos Hayes
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre

On 17-Jul-07, at 8:42 AM, Andrea Carboni wrote:

> Hi José,
>
> the first error is strange. I cannot say why it is there.
> The second one is a bug in the sql schema. To fix it, you have to
> increase the Users.password field to varchar(40) into the script
> located in gast/setup/sql/create-db-postgres.sql
>
> Cheers,
> Andrea
>
>> Hi,
>> I've tried to install geonetwork 2.1.0 beta4 using postgres as
>> backend. First
>> of all I installed geonetwork with the database embedded and it
>> worked fine.
>> Secondly I ran gast to change the database but several errors
>> (messages)
>> occured:
>> 1. Cyclic reference found: [Metadata, Relations, ...]
>> 2. ERROR: the value is too long for the type character varying(32)
>>
>> The web application works fine despite these errors, but I
>> couldn't log in. I
>> saw the table called  "Users" was empty and I tried to insert a
>> record into
>> it but I haven't be able to login yet.
>>
>> Any clue?
>> I'm using postgres 8.1 in kubuntu feisty, with a database with
>> encoding UTF-8.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

> projects/geonetwork

Re: Beta4 release and postgres

Brian Bishop
Hi Jose

Apologies for the late response.

Am also using geonetwork 2.1.0 beta 4 with Ubuntu 7.04,  postgres 8.2
and Tomcat 5.5.

Have experienced both issues, the cyclic reference issue existed last
time I created a database from scratch.

A possible work around that works for me, is to connect to database
using "Database Druid" and load each table separately, with data from
the "xxx/geonetwork/gast/setup/db" directory.

This should allow you to log on as "admin", however I still experience
issues when adding users who are not administrators.

Regards
Brian

Subject:
[GeoNetwork-users] Beta4 release and postgres
From:
José Vicente Higón <[hidden email]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:50:23 +0200

To:

[...]

Thanks for your answers,
I modified the "create-db-postgres.sql" script and I could connect to
geonetwork with the user admin. However other errors occured like :
"ERROR: the column "operationid" is integer type but the expression is varying
char type". Then I could connect but when I wanted to create a new metadata
the field "template" was empty.
I think you are right, at the moment the solution is to insert the data
manually. I connected to the database with Druid but I don't know how can I
load the data from DDF files, can you help me, please?

> Hi Jose
>
> Apologies for the late response.
>
> Am also using geonetwork 2.1.0 beta 4 with Ubuntu 7.04,  postgres 8.2
> and Tomcat 5.5.
>
> Have experienced both issues, the cyclic reference issue existed last
> time I created a database from scratch.
>
> A possible work around that works for me, is to connect to database
> using "Database Druid" and load each table separately, with data from
> the "xxx/geonetwork/gast/setup/db" directory.
>
> This should allow you to log on as "admin", however I still experience
> issues when adding users who are not administrators.
>
> Regards
> Brian
>

> Subject:
> [GeoNetwork-users] Beta4 release and postgres
> From:
> José Vicente Higón <[hidden email]>
> Date:
> Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:50:23 +0200
>
> To:
> [hidden email]
>

> Hi,
> I've tried to install geonetwork 2.1.0 beta4 using postgres as backend.
> First of all I installed geonetwork with the database embedded and it
> worked fine. Secondly I ran gast to change the database but several errors
> (messages) occured:
> 1. Cyclic reference found: [Metadata, Relations, ...]
> 2. ERROR: the value is too long for the type character varying(32)
>
> The web application works fine despite these errors, but I couldn't log in.
> I saw the table called  "Users" was empty and I tried to insert a record
> into it but I haven't be able to login yet.
>
> Any clue?
> I'm using postgres 8.1 in kubuntu feisty, with a database with encoding
> UTF-8.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -- José Vicente Higón Valero Grupo desarrollo gvSIG. IVER TI S.A.
> C/Salamanca, 50-52 46005-Valencia Tlf.+34963163400 http://www.iver.es
> http://www.gvsig.com http://www.gvsig.gva.es

José Vicente Higón Valero
Grupo desarrollo gvSIG.
IVER TI S.A.
C/Salamanca, 50-52 46005-Valencia
Tlf.+34963163400
http://www.iver.es
http://www.gvsig.com
http://www.gvsig.gva.es

Re: Beta4 release and postgres

Amos Hayes

I've had all the same problems you describe with beta 2; however,
when I loaded the tables via the script, I was still unable to log in
with the admin user.

I am going to try Beta 4 (the website is out of date... but I found
the latest in the sourceforge listings) but it sounds like I
shouldn't hold out much hope. I'll file bugs for all these problems
and use something else for the time being. If anyone is able to get
geonetwork working with Postgres, please post all the changes you
made so I can replicate and submit patches (or submit them yourself
if able.)

--

On 23-Jul-07, at 3:41 AM, José Vicente Higón wrote:

> [...]
>> backend.
>> First of all I installed geonetwork with the database embedded and it
>> worked fine. Secondly I ran gast to change the database but
>> several errors
>> (messages) occured:
>> 1. Cyclic reference found: [Metadata, Relations, ...]
>> 2. ERROR: the value is too long for the type character varying(32)
>>
>> The web application works fine despite these errors, but I
>> couldn't log in.
>> I saw the table called  "Users" was empty and I tried to insert a
>> record
>> into it but I haven't be able to login yet.
>>
>> Any clue?
>> I'm using postgres 8.1 in kubuntu feisty, with a database with
>> encoding
>> UTF-8.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -- José Vicente Higón Valero Grupo desarrollo gvSIG. IVER TI S.A.

Hello.

I noticed there are active bugs on both sourceforge and <http://
trac.osgeo.org/geonetwork/>. Is the trac site the one to use? Can the
sourceforge ones be migrated/closed if so?

When I look at all bugs by milestone, I notice that there is a v2.1
beta 1, v2.1 beta 2, v2.1 RC1, and v2.1 RC2. Is there some way to
tell what was fixed between beta 2 and beta 4? Is there a more recent
release of 2.1 somewhere?

When I try to create a new ticket, I get "TICKET_CREATE privileges
are required to perform this operation". How do I obtain permission
to file a bug? Can this be opened up or are there spambot problems?

I had begun doing a fresh complete install of beta 4 on RedHat
Enterprise Linux v4 using Java 6 and Postgres 8.2.4 and was planning
to create tickets for all problems along the way, plus attach patches
for anything I could resolve on my own. Is this a useful exercise or
are you aware of the problems and they just haven't been fixed yet?

The only tickets I could find that look relevant to me are:

"#5 Setup on Postgresql fails with type error" which has been closed
and marked "worksforme" but doesn't list the version that "works" and
also suggests that there is a problem in the code... but the bug
isn't marked fixed so I don't know what's going on. When I tried beta
2, I had this problem.

"#22 Getting the list of latest updated entries: Postgres complains"
which appears open and may explain a postgres complaint, but I can't
tell which one from the description.

"#20 Scrambled passwords don't fit database" which seems to be the
varchar(32) too small problem. If I understand the trac "Milestone"
field correctly, it should have been fixed in beta 2, but is still
open. I still saw this problem in beta 2 and I believe others are
seeing it in beta 4.

I don't see any open issues for:

- ERROR: the column "operationid" is integer type but the expression
is varying char type

- Cyclic reference found: [Metadata, Relations, ...]

- Server should have command line install option and/or documentation
for headless servers

I hope this helps. Please let me know how I should proceed. I can't
jump into the code, but I'm willing to file bugs and document
workarounds if it looks like the effort will make a difference.

--

On 23-Jul-07, at 9:48 AM, Amos Hayes wrote:

> [...]
>>> www.iver.es
>>> http://www.gvsig.com http://www.gvsig.gva.es

>>> Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
>>> Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a
>>> browser.
>>> Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
>>> GeoNetwork OpenSource is maintained at
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/geonetwork
>>

>> --
>> José Vicente Higón Valero
>> Grupo desarrollo gvSIG.
>> IVER TI S.A.
>> C/Salamanca, 50-52 46005-Valencia
>> Tlf.+34963163400
>> http://www.iver.es
>> http://www.gvsig.com
>> http://www.gvsig.gva.es

>> Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
>> Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a

Frank Warmerdam
Amos Hayes wrote:
> When I try to create a new ticket, I get "TICKET_CREATE privileges
> are required to perform this operation". How do I obtain permission
> to file a bug? Can this be opened up or are there spambot problems?

Amos,

There are indeed spambot issues with an "open" Trac.  You can create an
"OSGeo Userid" useful with the GeoNetwork Trac and other OSGeo hosted
services (other trac's, subversion and the osgeo portal for instance).

   http://www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid

Ideally this should be mentioned on the geonetwork trac main wiki page.   I
have taken the liberty of grafting in such a note.

Re: Beta4 release and postgres

Amos Hayes

Thanks Frank! I have one of those so that will get me started. I
didn't realize how interconnected the groups were. Thanks for adding
a note.

--

On 23-Jul-07, at 12:09 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Amos Hayes wrote:
>> When I try to create a new ticket, I get "TICKET_CREATE
>> privileges  are required to perform this operation". How do I
>> obtain permission  to file a bug? Can this be opened up or are
>> there spambot problems?
>
> Amos,
>
> There are indeed spambot issues with an "open" Trac.  You can
> create an
> "OSGeo Userid" useful with the GeoNetwork Trac and other OSGeo hosted
> services (other trac's, subversion and the osgeo portal for instance).
>
>   http://www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid
>
> Ideally this should be mentioned on the geonetwork trac main wiki
> page.   I
> have taken the liberty of grafting in such a note.
>
> Best regards,
> +--------------------------------------
> I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam,
> and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo, http://
> osgeo.org

Re: Beta4 release and postgres

Brian Bishop
Hi Jose & Amos

Created a new test system today, using the latest build (655).
The cyclic references error and the operationid error still exist, so
guess its time to raise these  postgres specific bugs, as Amos suggested.

If you get to the point of seeing the operationid error, then most of
the reference data should be their and the templates are the only
missing items. Have always created the templates manually as follows:

logon as administrator and go to the administration / batch import form.
Enter the path to the setup templates:

/geonetwork/gast/setup/templates/iso19139
/geonetwork/gast/setup/templates/fgdc-std
/geonetwork/gast/setup/templates/dublin-core

Remember to set the appropriate schema.

Once they are all imported, find each metadata record, edit and find the
"Type" down the bottom, change to template.

Most things should work now, however can only add a new user with
administrator profile. Can Amos confirm this bug also?

Regards
Brian

José Vicente Higón wrote:

> Thanks for your answers,
> I modified the "create-db-postgres.sql" script and I could connect to
> geonetwork with the user admin. However other errors occured like :
> "ERROR: the column "operationid" is integer type but the expression is varying
> char type". Then I could connect but when I wanted to create a new metadata
> the field "template" was empty.
> I think you are right, at the moment the solution is to insert the data
> manually. I connected to the database with Druid but I don't know how can I
> load the data from DDF files, can you help me, please?
>

>> Hi Jose
>>
>> Apologies for the late response.
>>
>> Am also using geonetwork 2.1.0 beta 4 with Ubuntu 7.04,  postgres 8.2
>> and Tomcat 5.5.
>>
>> Have experienced both issues, the cyclic reference issue existed last
>> time I created a database from scratch.
>>
>> A possible work around that works for me, is to connect to database
>> using "Database Druid" and load each table separately, with data from
>> the "xxx/geonetwork/gast/setup/db" directory.
>>
>> This should allow you to log on as "admin", however I still experience
>> issues when adding users who are not administrators.
>>
>> Regards
>> Brian
>>

>> Subject:
>> [GeoNetwork-users] Beta4 release and postgres
>> From:
>> José Vicente Higón <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:50:23 +0200
>>
>> To:
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> Hi,
>> I've tried to install geonetwork 2.1.0 beta4 using postgres as backend.
>> First of all I installed geonetwork with the database embedded and it
>> worked fine. Secondly I ran gast to change the database but several errors
>> (messages) occured:
>> 1. Cyclic reference found: [Metadata, Relations, ...]
>> 2. ERROR: the value is too long for the type character varying(32)
>>
>> The web application works fine despite these errors, but I couldn't log in.
>> I saw the table called  "Users" was empty and I tried to insert a record
>> into it but I haven't be able to login yet.
>>
>> Any clue?
>> I'm using postgres 8.1 in kubuntu feisty, with a database with encoding
>> UTF-8.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -- José Vicente Higón Valero Grupo desarrollo gvSIG. IVER TI S.A.
>> C/Salamanca, 50-52 46005-Valencia Tlf.+34963163400 http://www.iver.es
>> http://www.gvsig.com http://www.gvsig.gva.es

>> GeoNetwork OpenSource is maintained at
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/geonetwork

Re: Beta4 release and postgres

José Vicente Higón-2
Hi,

I couldn't create a new user and I modified the "create-db-postgres.sql"
script in follow lines:
line 230:     userId   varchar(50),
line 231:  groupId  varchar(50),
line 259:     operationId  varchar(50),

After these changes, when I try to install the database with gast, I doesn't
get any error, all templates are loaded and I can create a
new user however I can't loggin with it. I've seen in the "users" table the
password is not encoded, maybe that's the reason. I've attached the file.

> Hi Jose & Amos
>
> Created a new test system today, using the latest build (655).
> The cyclic references error and the operationid error still exist, so
> guess its time to raise these  postgres specific bugs, as Amos suggested.
>
> If you get to the point of seeing the operationid error, then most of
> the reference data should be their and the templates are the only
> missing items. Have always created the templates manually as follows:
>
> logon as administrator and go to the administration / batch import form.
> Enter the path to the setup templates:
>
> /geonetwork/gast/setup/templates/iso19139
> /geonetwork/gast/setup/templates/fgdc-std
> /geonetwork/gast/setup/templates/dublin-core
>
> Remember to set the appropriate schema.
>
> Once they are all imported, find each metadata record, edit and find the
> "Type" down the bottom, change to template.

I loaded the templates and now It can create it. Thanks.

create-db-postgres.sql (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Beta4 release and postgres

Brian Bishop
Hi Jose
Have tested you schema changes with the latest build from svn (655).
Their are many changes to the create script in the 655 build, including
adding and removing tables, etc. Managed to resolve most issues now,
groupid and userid are referenced by several foreign keys, and these
needed changes to datatypes as well.
Have reopened Ticket 5 for the operationid error, so hope this gets
resolved for the next release.

Regards
Brian