Best GeoServer Features

jody.garnett
Andrea and myself have a talk lined up for FOSS4G ... covering the "best" features of GeoServer in a "feature frenzy" 30 second sound bite format. This is to counteract our "State of GeoServer" talks - where we only get a look at what is new.

To help please answer the following questions:

1. What makes GeoServer great for you?
2. What feature do you always enable?
3. Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?
4. What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?
5. What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?
--
Jody Garnett

Re: Best GeoServer Features

cmaul
1. Reliability and that it is largely data format agnostic

2. OGR2OGR

3. Inspire, helps to get around our problem with non-ISO-conforming metadata

4. How do I get the data directory out of the 'Program Files' directory. That was version 1.7.4 with Jetty installer.

5. NetCDF
____________________________

Dr Christian Maul
Project Manager

Information Services Branch
Department Environment and Primary Industries
Level13, Marland House, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000

PO Box 500, East Melbourne Vic 3002

Telephone:        +61-3-8636 2325
Telefax:              +61-3-8636 2813

Re: Best GeoServer Features

Ben Caradoc-Davies
On 07/08/14 04:29, Jody Garnett wrote:
> 1. What makes GeoServer great for you?

Its open and active community.

> 2. What feature do you always enable?

WFS featureMember, canonical schema location, and OGC HTTP URI format
for srsName.

> 3. Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your
> or a customer?

app-schema, of course.  :-)

> 4. What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?

How easy it was to connect to PostGIS. Just a few clicks and I could see
a map and simple feature WFS. Everything just worked.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Software Engineer

Re: Best GeoServer Features

Ismail, Mark

1.      What makes GeoServer great for you?

The ability to safely serve up data layers without the need for web repositories

2.      What feature do you always enable?

Built in Tile caching

3.      Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?

The oracle database connector

4.      What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?

How easy it was to get maps in my openlayers application.

5.      What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?

A really good gui based tool for creating SLD

Mark Ismail

Principal IT Officer

Tel: 0151 443 3021

Knowsley Council  ê  Westmorland Road  ê Huyton ê L36 9GL

Save time – use the IT Service Desk Self Serve Application

Andrea and myself have a talk lined up for FOSS4G ... covering the "best" features of GeoServer in a "feature frenzy" 30 second sound bite format. This is to counteract our "State of GeoServer" talks - where we only get a look at what is new.

To help please answer the following questions:

1. What makes GeoServer great for you?

2. What feature do you always enable?

3. Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?

4. What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?

5. What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?

--

Jody Garnett

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. It may contain privileged information and is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It must not be distributed without consent. If you are not one of the intended recipients, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose, distribute, or retain this email or any part of it and do not take any action based on it.

Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the individual sender, and not of Knowsley MBC. Legally binding obligations can only be created for, or be entered into on behalf of, Knowsley MBC by duly authorised officers or representatives.

Knowsley MBC excludes any liability whatsoever for any offence caused, any direct or consequential loss arising from the use, or reliance on, this e-mail or its contents. We believe but do not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free. You must therefore take full responsibility for virus checking and no responsibility is accepted for loss or damage arising from viruses or changes made to this message after it was sent. Knowsley MBC reserves the right to monitor and/or record all e-mail communications through its network in accordance with relevant legislation.

Re: Best GeoServer Features

Bui Hong Son-2

1.      What makes GeoServer great for you?

Easy to install and publish OGC Web Service (WMS, WFS,WCS)

2.      What feature do you always enable?

WFS, WMS

3.      Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?

SDE connector

4.      What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?

Easy to create Map

5.      What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?

Web Service Security Standard

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Ismail, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:

1.      What makes GeoServer great for you?

The ability to safely serve up data layers without the need for web repositories

2.      What feature do you always enable?

Built in Tile caching

3.      Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?

The oracle database connector

4.      What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?

How easy it was to get maps in my openlayers application.

5.      What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?

A really good gui based tool for creating SLD

Mark Ismail

Principal IT Officer

Tel: 0151 443 3021

Knowsley Council  ê  Westmorland Road  ê Huyton ê L36 9GL

Save time – use the IT Service Desk Self Serve Application

Re: Best GeoServer Features

Jonathan Moules-2

1)
- Excellent regular update schedule with maintenance, stable and nightly branches. A well managed process!
- Friendly, helpful community.

2) WMS

3) Oracle database connection.

4) (its been too long!)

5) Dxf format - or SpatiaLite (I think Dxf is in 2.6 anyway right?)

On 7 August 2014 10:27, Bui Hong Son <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain confidential, sensitive or personal information and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us, including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Re: Best GeoServer Features

russoggi255
1. Very simple to set up
2. No
3. Not yet. GS does everything I need to do without extra extensions a.t.m. :)
4. The short time it took to install GS and display my data
5. None at the moment.

Russ

On 6 Aug 2014, at 21:29, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrea and myself have a talk lined up for FOSS4G ... covering the "best" features of GeoServer in a "feature frenzy" 30 second sound bite format. This is to counteract our "State of GeoServer" talks - where we only get a look at what is new.
>
> To help please answer the following questions:
>
> 1. What makes GeoServer great for you?
> 2. What feature do you always enable?
> 3. Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?
> 4. What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?
> 5. What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?
> --
> Jody Garnett

Re: Best GeoServer Features

jean
Hi all

I was tasked with setting up geonode, with no prior GIS experience.
I was very impressed by how geoserver Just Works as part of the geonode stack.

--
jean                                              . .. .... //\\\oo///\\

Re: Best GeoServer Features

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike)
Jody Garnett wrote:

> Andrea and myself have a talk lined up for FOSS4G ... covering the "best" features of GeoServer in a "feature frenzy" 30 second sound bite format. This is to counteract our "State of GeoServer" talks - where we only get a look at what is new.

> To help please answer the following questions:

> 1. What makes GeoServer great for you?
It is a reliable product that is under continuous development and if there is a great need to get some new feature implemented there are several great companies who can take your money and make your happy soon.

> 2. What feature do you always enable?
WFS-T and Oracle datastore

> 3. Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?
WFS-T and Oracle datastore.

> 4. What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?
How easy it was to install and configure with GUI without a need to write mysterious configuration files by hand, and that after the clickety-click installation everything just worked.

> 5. What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?
OGC GeoPackage if it is ready enough. Importer is my second candidate and Spatialite the third but not until it has updated to support Spatialite v. 4.2

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: Best GeoServer Features

Christian Mueller-3

> 1. What makes GeoServer great for you?
The plugin architecture

> 2. What feature do you always enable?
WMS and DB2 data store

> 3. Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?
DB2 data store

> 4. What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?
The simplicity of the WEB GUI

> 5. What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?
authkey , should do this by myself

Cheers
Christian

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Rahkonen Jukka (Tike) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jody Garnett wrote:

> Andrea and myself have a talk lined up for FOSS4G ... covering the "best" features of GeoServer in a "feature frenzy" 30 second sound bite format. This is to counteract our "State of GeoServer" talks - where we only get a look at what is new.

> To help please answer the following questions:

> 1. What makes GeoServer great for you?
It is a reliable product that is under continuous development and if there is a great need to get some new feature implemented there are several great companies who can take your money and make your happy soon.

> 2. What feature do you always enable?
WFS-T and Oracle datastore

> 3. Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?
WFS-T and Oracle datastore.

> 4. What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?
How easy it was to install and configure with GUI without a need to write mysterious configuration files by hand, and that after the clickety-click installation everything just worked.

> 5. What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?
OGC GeoPackage if it is ready enough. Importer is my second candidate and Spatialite the third but not until it has updated to support Spatialite v. 4.2

-Jukka Rahkonen-

DI Christian Mueller MSc (GIS), MSc (IT-Security)
OSS Open Source Solutions GmbH

Re: Best GeoServer Features

Jorge Sanz (OSGeo)
> Andrea and myself have a talk lined up for FOSS4G ... covering the "best"
> features of GeoServer in a "feature frenzy" 30 second sound bite format.
> This is to counteract our "State of GeoServer" talks - where we only get a
> look at what is new.
>
> To help please answer the following questions:
>
> 1. What makes GeoServer great for you?

- Easy to deploy
- Excellent documentation
- The web UI makes it perfect to teach webmapping and OGC standards to
non very tech people.

> 2. What feature do you always enable?

WPS

> 3. Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a
> customer?

WPS with SLD rendering transformations (and chained with SQL views,
incredibly flexible combination)

> 4. What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?

Web UI and WFS working without any special config.

> 5. What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?

Geopackage module, and waiting for the GeoGig stack :-)

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org

Re: Best GeoServer Features

Roel De Nijs

1/

Friendly, helpful and very active community

Great release management process

Very simple/easy to setup

Highly configurable using a web interface

2/ WFS, WMS, SqlServer database connection

3/ SqlServer database connection

4/

How easy it was to setup a geoserver and display your data, even without any gis-specific knowledge.

No need to dive into some obscure configuration files to change some configuration or add a new datastore, layer,… but (almost) everything configurable through a user-friendly web interface

5/ Some SLD editor to make maintenance less cumbersome

Kind regards,

Roel

Andrea and myself have a talk lined up for FOSS4G ... covering the "best" features of GeoServer in a "feature frenzy" 30 second sound bite format. This is to counteract our "State of GeoServer" talks - where we only get a look at what is new.

To help please answer the following questions:

1. What makes GeoServer great for you?

2. What feature do you always enable?

3. Is there an extension which totally made a project possible for your or a customer?

4. What surprised you when you first installed GeoServer?

5. What community module do you wish was part of GeoServer 2.6?

--

Jody Garnett

banner Chap-eau

Volg Aquafin op Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIN

Disclaimer: zie www.aquafin.be   P Denk aan het milieu. Druk deze mail niet onnodig af.

Re: Best GeoServer Features

Roger Bedell-2
Jody,

The best GIS server out there, no contest!

My favorite story is publishing 2' contours from our LiDAR DEMS with just a WPS based SLD. Fantastic.

Roger

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Roel De Nijs <[hidden email]> wrote:

1/

Friendly, helpful and very active community

Great release management process

Very simple/easy to setup

Highly configurable using a web interface

2/ WFS, WMS, SqlServer database connection

3/ SqlServer database connection

4/

How easy it was to setup a geoserver and display your data, even without any gis-specific knowledge.

No need to dive into some obscure configuration files to change some configuration or add a new datastore, layer,… but (almost) everything configurable through a user-friendly web interface

5/ Some SLD editor to make maintenance less cumbersome

Kind regards,

Roel

Re: Best GeoServer Features

D_Guidi
>Some SLD editor to make maintenance less cumbersome
a sort of visual editor should be a great improvement

Diego Guidi