Basic GIS course ideas

maning sambale
Hi FOSS GIS users,

I am a part-time instructor in a college teaching introductory gis
course.  I have been advocating for the use FOSS GIS (particularly
GRASS and QGIS ) in our schools for the lab sessions.
This is the second term I am doing this and have been reflecting on
how did it go the first time.

The objective of the course is for students to understand basic gis
principles as well as practical applications in site planning, land
use, ecology and business.

Judging by the previous experience, it is a little bit difficult
introducing the student FOSS GIS especially the linux way of doing
things (CLI).  We are using XP machines and most students probably
know computers as MS windows only.

Some are more interested in creating cool maps and not on the
underlying spatial analysis techniques (i.e. r.mapcalc) that were
used.

I wrote the list to ask GRASS instructors on any ideas in making the
course better.  If you have any approaches/techniques/exercises you
might want to share please do.  I firmly believe using FOSS GIS
especially in our country is very important.  As a compromise though,
a suggestion from this list was to also introduce them to propriety
GIS package.  We have a few arcview 3.2 in the lab so I might give a 1
or 2 sessions about it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Maning

--
|---------|----------------------------------------------------------|
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |

Re: Basic GIS course ideas

pcav

We are finding QGIS by far the best tool for introductory courses. The
GRASS plugin allows a smooth progress from simple coloured maps up into
the heaven of complex raster and vector analyses. The native compilation
on xp makes things even easier for novices.
The only serios problem now is the instability of qgis 0.8; I think we
need a good deal of effort to have a really stable and bugfree release.
I like the idea of a standard set of exercises. A wiki could be a good
starting point?
All the best.
pc

maning sambale ha scritto:

> Hi FOSS GIS users,
>
> I am a part-time instructor in a college teaching introductory gis
> course.  I have been advocating for the use FOSS GIS (particularly
> GRASS and QGIS ) in our schools for the lab sessions.
> This is the second term I am doing this and have been reflecting on
> how did it go the first time.
>
> The objective of the course is for students to understand basic gis
> principles as well as practical applications in site planning, land
> use, ecology and business.
>
> Judging by the previous experience, it is a little bit difficult
> introducing the student FOSS GIS especially the linux way of doing
> things (CLI).  We are using XP machines and most students probably
> know computers as MS windows only.
>
> Some are more interested in creating cool maps and not on the
> underlying spatial analysis techniques (i.e. r.mapcalc) that were
> used.
>
> I wrote the list to ask GRASS instructors on any ideas in making the
> course better.  If you have any approaches/techniques/exercises you
> might want to share please do.  I firmly believe using FOSS GIS
> especially in our country is very important.  As a compromise though,
> a suggestion from this list was to also introduce them to propriety
> GIS package.  We have a few arcview 3.2 in the lab so I might give a 1
> or 2 sessions about it.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Maning

- --
Paolo Cavallini
email+jabber: [hidden email]
www.faunalia.it
Piazza Garibaldi 5 - 56025 Pontedera (PI), Italy   Tel: (+39)348-3801953

Re: Basic GIS course ideas

Radim Blazek-2
On 10/6/06, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are finding QGIS by far the best tool for introductory courses. The
> GRASS plugin allows a smooth progress from simple coloured maps up into
> the heaven of complex raster and vector analyses. The native compilation
> on xp makes things even easier for novices.
> The only serios problem now is the instability of qgis 0.8; I think we
> need a good deal of effort to have a really stable and bugfree release.
> I like the idea of a standard set of exercises. A wiki could be a good
> starting point?

I wrote some recipes in GRASS/QGIS Cookbook:
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/GrassCookbook
that was inteded for autodidacts, not for courses,
but hopefully some materials could be shared?

Radim