Base maps: what for in the plugin?

pcav
Hi all,
as I understand it, now adding a XYZ map and defining it as base map is
a much better option than using the limited set of base maps built in
the plugin, as it is more flexible, there are less problems with
projections, etc.: am I right? If not, why? If yes, wouldn't it be
better to remove the option from the plugin, suggesting the user the
other option?
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Base maps: what for in the plugin?

Nicolas Boisteault-4

Hi,

predefined base maps have at least those advantages :

1/ to be easy to add. Just one click for layers without keys.

2/ tile requests are made directly from the front end to the services without passing by the server so it is faster and avoid unecessary proxying.

Regards

Le 16/02/2020 à 11:32, Paolo Cavallini a écrit :
Hi all,
as I understand it, now adding a XYZ map and defining it as base map is
a much better option than using the limited set of base maps built in
the plugin, as it is more flexible, there are less problems with
projections, etc.: am I right? If not, why? If yes, wouldn't it be
better to remove the option from the plugin, suggesting the user the
other option?
Cheers.
--
Nicolas Boisteault
Ingénieur
www.3liz.com

Tel. 06 19 36 78 32
Bureau
31, rue de l'Argenterie
34000 Montpellier
Siège social
73, allée Kleber
Boulevard de Strasbourg
34000 Montpellier

Re: Base maps: what for in the plugin?

pcav
Thanks a lot Nicolas for the clarification.
Cheers.

On 21 February 2020 13:56:56 CET, Nicolas Boisteault <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Please excuse my brevity.