Baisc Windows question....

Barbara H. Carroll

Hi MS4W Users,

This is my first question to the mailing list and I’m afraid it’s a VERY basic one.  I'm currently going through the exercises from Bill Kropla's book "Beginning

MapServer: Open Source GIS Development". It’s assuming a linux/unix installation.  I have no clue what to change the parameters to so it will work with a windows installation.

Things like:

SHAPEPATH "/home/mapdata/"

TEMPLATE '/var/www/htdocs/first.html'

IMAGEPATH '/var/www/htdocs/tmp/' – I gather this is /ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/

IMAGEURL '/tmp/' and this is /ms_tmp/

What do I change the variables to and where to I put them?  Is there anything else I need to do so this will work.  The basic mapserver is working without errors.

Thanks so much for your help

Barbara

RE: Baisc Windows question....

Anthony Gangemi
Hi,

I'm also using this book with Windows and I've started the process. You
can find my code modifications at the following URL:
http://www.usq.edu.au/users/gangemia/ms/

In the mapfiles and template files, you will see the file path
modifications and other minor changes/additions I've made to fit my
Windows system.

Some of the issues I've found whilst using this book with Windows XP
are:

page 21, the listing for line 04 for Windows must be: <form method =POST
action="/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe">
Therefore wherever you see "/cgi-bin/mapserv", append it with ".exe"

page 53, listing 3-2, after line 007 add the following:
<input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath" value="/ms4w/tmp/">
page 54, listing 3-3, after line 49 add the the following:
<input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath"
value="[map_web_imagepath]">

Adding these lines make my applications work.  There are probably more
changes/additions as you get deeper into the book.  So far I'm on
chapter 4 and I still have issues with the chapter 4 code that I need to
resolve  (will investigate this when I find time).

Regards

Tony Gangemi

University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Australia
Faculty of Engineering and Surveying
Email: gangemia[at]usq.edu.au

________________________________

RE: Baisc Windows question....

Barbara H. Carroll
Tony:

Thanks for the response - I had found your URL and that was a help to me...
So far this is what I have for windows installation:

IMAGEPATH=/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/
IMAGEURL=/ms_tmp/
DocumentRoot=/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/ - so is /var/www/htdocs the same thing?

If you run phpinfo.php from the DocumentRoot it will give you quite a bit of
information.

Programs need to have the extent added to them in order to run ie
/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe rather than /cgi-bin/mapserv

In the book on page 21 they talk about /home/mapdata/hello.map - where is
/home/mapdata/ supposed to be located?

I REALLY appreciated you adding the data files to your posting - I haven't
downloaded them yet, but will later today.

I want to learn how to use MapServer capabilities. This is really
frustrating for me!!!

Barbara

Re: Baisc Windows question....

Ben Madin-5
Barbara,

any directory that starts with a / (ie /home/something) in unix is equivalent roughly to C:\home\something in dos

On 20/11/2006, at 11:29 PM, Barbara H. Carroll wrote:

DocumentRoot=/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/ - so is /var/www/htdocs the same thing?

probably - it is a standard Unix type location for Apache

Programs need to have the extent added to them in order to run ie
/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe rather than /cgi-bin/mapserv

I'm not sure what you mean by extent  - .exe is because mapserv is an executable program - unix type systems don' t require the suffix

In the book on page 21 they talk about /home/mapdata/hello.map - where is
/home/mapdata/ supposed to be located?

as per above, it can be anywhere - make a directory called C:\home\mapdata, and you are away, and won't have to change too much code

Most of your questions are general mapserver type questions, and would be better directed at the mapserver user's list, which has a big readership and lots of people who will know the exact answers to your questions.

try   [hidden email] - you will probably have to set up an account

cheers

Ben

--

Ben Madin