Background info for anyone considering a FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2020 proposal

Background info for anyone considering a FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2020 proposal

John Bryant
Hi all,

We've been asked for background information on FOSS4G SotM Oceania, so that people can consider putting in a proposal for 2020. In the interests of making sure anyone considering a proposal has fair & equal access to background information, I suggest we can share it in this thread. Please feel free to ask questions here as well.

We've been asked:

How much seed funding can OSGeo Oceania provide?
At this point, we don't have a good answer to this question. It's worth noting that in both 2018 and 2019, we didn't incur any significant expenses until we had income from sponsorship & registrations, so seed funding hasn't been necessary to date. We may be able to provide some seed funding if necessary, we'd be very happy to work with people to develop a budget for a proposed event.

How much was raised through registration and sponsorship income?
In 2018, we surpassed our targets on both fronts, raising revenue of AUD $45k in sponsorship and other funding, and AUD $99k in registrations. Obviously what can be expected in any given year will be controlled by a lot of factors, including location, economic conditions, and success in attracting sponsors and attendees. The sheer size of Melbourne was a significant factor in registration numbers.

Any additional documentation?
There's quite a lot! We can share specifics as needed, but here are a few starting points:
* 2018 timeline [1]
* 2019 timeline [2]
* 2018 Lessons Learned [3]

We see running the conference as a collaborative, community-driven exercise, so we'd expect to have a conference committee made up of the people driving a local proposal working alongside people who have been involved over the last couple of years, so there will be plenty of support along the way.

Cheers!
John

Re: Background info for anyone considering a FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2020 proposal

John Bryant
To add to this thread... we don't have a formal process to determine where next year's conference will be, but we're happy to begin the conversation. The approach the New Zealand team took last year was to write a Letter of Intent, which worked well. For reference, that letter is here: https://gist.github.com/dwsilk/1ee1f0347a0c386438504c3e20022df7

and is also linked from the OSGeo Oceania wiki page: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oceania#Events

Re: Background info for anyone considering a FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2020 proposal

John Bryant
Hi all, another item to add to this thread. We have a public version of the budget (projected and actuals) for FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018 here:

This may be helpful in understanding what some of the key income & expense items are.