Automated testing

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi GeoMOOSE PSC,

Can someone tell me if there is automated testing setup (travis-ci,
jenkins) for GeoMOOSE?  I remember this was discussed during the
incubation process, but I can't find any solid links to these tests.
thanks,

-jeff

Re: Automated testing

James Klassen-2

We haven't figured out how to do sensible automated testing with a user driven Web app dependent on external data.

Manual testing and automatic building of master is done at http://demo.geomoose.org/master

The build running on demo is used to make the nightly tgz and MS4W zips.  A release is generated by the same process except from a git tag.

On Sep 26, 2016 10:04, "Jeff McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi GeoMOOSE PSC,

Can someone tell me if there is automated testing setup (travis-ci, jenkins) for GeoMOOSE?  I remember this was discussed during the incubation process, but I can't find any solid links to these tests. thanks,

-jeff

Re: Automated testing

Dan Little-2
We do have some automated testing for the server-side services.   It's
a combination of Python UnitTests and the Nosetests test runner.  I'm
just way more fluent in Python for that stuff than PHP.

Client side, however, we don't have a lot of scripts.  For 3.0 we're
looking at Mocha integration.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We haven't figured out how to do sensible automated testing with a user
> driven Web app dependent on external data.
>
> Manual testing and automatic building of master is done at
> http://demo.geomoose.org/master
>
> The build running on demo is used to make the nightly tgz and MS4W zips.  A
> release is generated by the same process except from a git tag.
>

> On Sep 26, 2016 10:04, "Jeff McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi GeoMOOSE PSC,
>>
>> Can someone tell me if there is automated testing setup (travis-ci,
>> jenkins) for GeoMOOSE?  I remember this was discussed during the incubation
>> process, but I can't find any solid links to these tests. thanks,
>>
>> -jeff

Re: Automated testing

jmckenna
Administrator
Ok, are those unit-tests visible to the community somewhere?  (I'm just
running through a check on projects)

-jeff

On 2016-09-26 12:57 PM, Dan Little wrote:

> We do have some automated testing for the server-side services.   It's
> a combination of Python UnitTests and the Nosetests test runner.  I'm
> just way more fluent in Python for that stuff than PHP.
>
> Client side, however, we don't have a lot of scripts.  For 3.0 we're
> looking at Mocha integration.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We haven't figured out how to do sensible automated testing with a user
>> driven Web app dependent on external data.
>>
>> Manual testing and automatic building of master is done at
>> http://demo.geomoose.org/master
>>
>> The build running on demo is used to make the nightly tgz and MS4W zips.  A
>> release is generated by the same process except from a git tag.
>>

>> On Sep 26, 2016 10:04, "Jeff McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi GeoMOOSE PSC,
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me if there is automated testing setup (travis-ci,
>>> jenkins) for GeoMOOSE?  I remember this was discussed during the incubation
>>> process, but I can't find any solid links to these tests. thanks,
>>>
>>> -jeff

Re: Automated testing

Dan Little-2
Yes, they should be right here:
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose-services/tree/master/tests

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, are those unit-tests visible to the community somewhere?  (I'm just
> running through a check on projects)
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2016-09-26 12:57 PM, Dan Little wrote:
>>
>> We do have some automated testing for the server-side services.   It's
>> a combination of Python UnitTests and the Nosetests test runner.  I'm
>> just way more fluent in Python for that stuff than PHP.
>>
>> Client side, however, we don't have a lot of scripts.  For 3.0 we're
>> looking at Mocha integration.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM, James Klassen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We haven't figured out how to do sensible automated testing with a user
>>> driven Web app dependent on external data.
>>>
>>> Manual testing and automatic building of master is done at
>>> http://demo.geomoose.org/master
>>>
>>> The build running on demo is used to make the nightly tgz and MS4W zips.
>>> release is generated by the same process except from a git tag.

Re: Automated testing

Eli Adam
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We do have some automated testing for the server-side services.   It's
> a combination of Python UnitTests and the Nosetests test runner.  I'm
> just way more fluent in Python for that stuff than PHP.
>
> Client side, however, we don't have a lot of scripts.  For 3.0 we're
> looking at Mocha integration.
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We haven't figured out how to do sensible automated testing with a user
>> driven Web app dependent on external data.
>>
>> Manual testing and automatic building of master is done at
>> http://demo.geomoose.org/master

To get a quick look at the status of the automated build, look at the
title of the page here, http://demo.geomoose.org/master/ "GeoMOOSE
2.9dev (gbb075c2)".  The gbb075c2 part is from the commit log at
https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/commits/master so that you can
confirm the automatic building is working or at least what the
automated build built.

Eli

>> The build running on demo is used to make the nightly tgz and MS4W zips.  A
>> release is generated by the same process except from a git tag.
>>

>> On Sep 26, 2016 10:04, "Jeff McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi GeoMOOSE PSC,
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me if there is automated testing setup (travis-ci,
>>> jenkins) for GeoMOOSE?  I remember this was discussed during the incubation
>>> process, but I can't find any solid links to these tests. thanks,
>>>
>>> -jeff

Re: Automated testing

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2016-09-26 1:01 PM, Eli Adam wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We do have some automated testing for the server-side services.   It's
>> a combination of Python UnitTests and the Nosetests test runner.  I'm
>> just way more fluent in Python for that stuff than PHP.
>>
>> Client side, however, we don't have a lot of scripts.  For 3.0 we're
>> looking at Mocha integration.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We haven't figured out how to do sensible automated testing with a user
>>> driven Web app dependent on external data.
>>>
>>> Manual testing and automatic building of master is done at
>>> http://demo.geomoose.org/master
>
> To get a quick look at the status of the automated build, look at the
> title of the page here, http://demo.geomoose.org/master/ "GeoMOOSE
> 2.9dev (gbb075c2)".  The gbb075c2 part is from the commit log at
> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/commits/master so that you can
> confirm the automatic building is working or at least what the
> automated build built.

So a build fails (test fails), how is the community informed?   For
example, commonly the failure will be reported to the -dev mailing list,
so all developers are notified.  I'm trying find how this happens for
GeoMOOSE.

-jeff

Re: Automated testing

Dan Little-2
The 2.X stack does not have an elegant solution for that.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2016-09-26 1:01 PM, Eli Adam wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Dan Little <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We do have some automated testing for the server-side services.   It's
>>> a combination of Python UnitTests and the Nosetests test runner.  I'm
>>> just way more fluent in Python for that stuff than PHP.
>>>
>>> Client side, however, we don't have a lot of scripts.  For 3.0 we're
>>> looking at Mocha integration.

>> To get a quick look at the status of the automated build, look at the
>> title of the page here, http://demo.geomoose.org/master/ "GeoMOOSE
>> 2.9dev (gbb075c2)".  The gbb075c2 part is from the commit log at
>> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/commits/master so that you can
>> confirm the automatic building is working or at least what the
>> automated build built.
>

> So a build fails (test fails), how is the community informed?   For example,
> commonly the failure will be reported to the -dev mailing list, so all
> developers are notified.  I'm trying find how this happens for GeoMOOSE.
>

> -jeff

Re: Automated testing

James Klassen-2

I'm not even sure a build can fail (in the "make: errors reported" sense).

demo.geomoose.org would show a broken app which tends to get noticed pretty quickly.  Devs know to check the demo after a push to make sure changes applied as expected.  Devs are also expected to test locally before pushing to master.

Re: Automated testing

jmckenna
Administrator
Ok, I understand.  Sorry to sound so pushy, I just wanted to understand.
  I figured it would be hard to test javascript-y stuff.  Thanks everyone.

-jeff