Autodesk sponsorship page

Tyler Mitchell-5
As part of Autodesk's sponsorship benefits they get a full page
company profile.  I've worked with them to get the text pulled
together and posted it to:
http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors/autodesk

Does this look okay to you?  I'm happy with it.  Once we are agreed
I'll change the link from their logo on http://www.osgeo.org/
sponsors/ to point to this new page.

Sound good?

Tyler

Re: Autodesk sponsorship page

Frank Warmerdam
Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> As part of Autodesk's sponsorship benefits they get a full page company
> profile.  I've worked with them to get the text pulled together and
> posted it to:
> http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors/autodesk
>
> Does this look okay to you?  I'm happy with it.  Once we are agreed I'll
> change the link from their logo on http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors/ to
> point to this new page.

Tyler,

The page looks good.  I think you might want it to be a bit more reachable
than just linked from the logo, since I would naturally assume that goes
to some generic Autodesk page and not bother following it.  Perhaps an
explicit link under the their logo something along the line of "for more
on Autodesk's committment to open source..." or something like that?

I also would like to see us setup an area on the main web page where we
rotate sponsor logos in proportion to their contribution.  I think this
will require a bit of php magic, so we might want to wait till KK or
Gupteshwar can set it up.

Re: Autodesk sponsorship page

Tyler Mitchell-5
Good ideas - will incorporate the additional link.

On 23-Jan-07, at 2:42 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>> As part of Autodesk's sponsorship benefits they get a full page
>> company profile.  I've worked with them to get the text pulled
>> together and posted it to:
>> http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors/autodesk
>> Does this look okay to you?  I'm happy with it.  Once we are
>> agreed I'll change the link from their logo on http://
>> www.osgeo.org/sponsors/ to point to this new page.
>
> Tyler,
>
> The page looks good.  I think you might want it to be a bit more
> reachable
> than just linked from the logo, since I would naturally assume that
> goes
> to some generic Autodesk page and not bother following it.  Perhaps an
> explicit link under the their logo something along the line of "for
> more
> on Autodesk's committment to open source..." or something like that?
>
> I also would like to see us setup an area on the main web page
> where we
> rotate sponsor logos in proportion to their contribution.  I think
> this
> will require a bit of php magic, so we might want to wait till KK or
> Gupteshwar can set it up.
>
> Best regards,

Re: Autodesk sponsorship page

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo)
Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> As part of Autodesk's sponsorship benefits they get a full page company
> profile.  I've worked with them to get the text pulled together and
> posted it to:
> http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors/autodesk
>
> Does this look okay to you?  I'm happy with it.  Once we are agreed I'll
> change the link from their logo on http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors/ to
> point to this new page.
>
> Sound good?
>
> Tyler

Hi,
yes this is fine except for one thing which I already identified as problematic before.

"In 2005, Autodesk became the first commercial software vendor to contribute to the geospatial open source community, opening the source code to its MapGuide Open Source and feature data objects (FDO) technologies."

This is simply not true. There are many examples of commercial enterprises either contributing to Open Source, or releasing their own proprietary software as Free Software before 2005. You could say: Autodesk is the first of the few GIS big ones (Intergraph, ESRI, SmallWorld, etc) to get the gist - but even that would feel skewed as Autodesk is not that big regarding GIS at all.

It is not that I disrespect the decision made by Autodesk or want to belittle their boldness but it just tastes wrong to say that they are the first around. And as people are still eying Autodesk closely I suggest that it would be wise to be careful what to say and maybe even be a little humble. It would just suit them so much better. Autodesk has so many ways to market and show off in their standard stance that I had hoped they would do something more interesting on this page.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

RE: Autodesk sponsorship page

Gary Lang
I wouldn't personalize a press release as representing "Autodesk" as if
we were some monolithic entity that agrees on everything. Autodesk may
be humble - we are - but one person may write a press release that is
hyperbolic.

I don't agree with this press release material either; it's factually
incorrect. Tyler, who were you working with on this? I want to get this
changed. Feel free to take it down until it's fact-checked.

Gary

> As part of Autodesk's sponsorship benefits they get a full page
> company profile.  I've worked with them to get the text pulled
> together and posted it to:
> http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors/autodesk
>
> Does this look okay to you?  I'm happy with it.  Once we are agreed
> I'll change the link from their logo on http://www.osgeo.org/sponsors/

> to point to this new page.
>
> Sound good?
>
> Tyler

Hi,
yes this is fine except for one thing which I already identified as
problematic before.

"In 2005, Autodesk became the first commercial software vendor to
contribute to the geospatial open source community, opening the source
code to its MapGuide Open Source and feature data objects (FDO)
technologies."

This is simply not true. There are many examples of commercial
enterprises either contributing to Open Source, or releasing their own
proprietary software as Free Software before 2005. You could say:
Autodesk is the first of the few GIS big ones (Intergraph, ESRI,
SmallWorld, etc) to get the gist - but even that would feel skewed as
Autodesk is not that big regarding GIS at all.

It is not that I disrespect the decision made by Autodesk or want to
belittle their boldness but it just tastes wrong to say that they are
the first around. And as people are still eying Autodesk closely I
suggest that it would be wise to be careful what to say and maybe even
be a little humble. It would just suit them so much better. Autodesk has
so many ways to market and show off in their standard stance that I had
hoped they would do something more interesting on this page.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

RE: Autodesk sponsorship page

Gary Lang
I just went to the actual page. I am surprised that it doesn't point out
that Autodesk invented GIS as well. You all did know that, did you not?
Not only that, but John Walker is Arnulf's father. I'm glad to be able
to reveal all this.

All kidding aside, Tyler, please take this down until it is corrected.
I've sent the appropriate requests internally.

Thanks,

Gary

On 24-Jan-07, at 3:59 AM, Gary Lang wrote:
> All kidding aside, Tyler, please take this down until it is corrected.
> I've sent the appropriate requests internally.

Thanks for pointing this out Arnulf.  That paragraph has now been
removed.  I can see the confusion after re-reading this, but did miss
it the first time through.  I guess I read into it what made sense to
me - that 2005 was a watershed year as a major commercial vendor
contributed a significant application to the open source geo. community.

In my opinion, it would still be good to have a sentence that
reflects that, but in a more accurate way.  Next time I'll give it 24
hours for fundcom feedback before posting.  Sorry for the confusion.

Tyler