AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

brianbassler
Greetings,

I have been working with the OGR provider available for AutoCAD and I have a few questions.

First, is there a comprehensive guide to the use of the OGR provider?

I'm currently using the 3.4 version with AutoCAD Map 3D 2010.  I've not been able to save changes to a personal geodatabase regardless of the readonly setting when I connect or use of checkout/checkin from the ribbon.  I have found contradicting info that says features can and cannot be edited with this plugin.  Can I get a positive answer on this forum?

I'm also working with a demo version of AutoCAD Map 3D 2013.  I thought sure I had read somewhere that the OGR provider would be included in the install but it is not.  I'm not sure which version I should try, so far have installed the 3.7 beta but am getting connection errors which I believe are due to the ODBC drivers present on my test machine.  Said test machine is Win 7 64bit with 64bit AutoCAD 2013 and 32 bit Office 2007.  Note that MS Access was not included in that install so I've also installed the 32bit ODBC connectivity drivers from MS.  So far, this configuration DOES NOT work.

I'd like to be able to use AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 to read/edit features in an ESRI personal geodatabase.

Any recommendations? Many thanks for any help!!

Brian C. Bassler

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

Jackie Ng
Firstly, look at the list of supported file formats here: http://gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html

Each format listed also tells you how an OGR application connects to it. This is what you have to put in to the "DataSource" parameter of the OGR provider connection.

Any format where compiled by default is not "Yes", you cannot connect with the OGR provider because most likely, the gdal dll that comes with FDO is compiled with default settings.

Also 64-bit applications cannot consume 32-bit libraries, this is why AutoCAD cannot connect to access databases with a 32-bit driver. You must have 64-bit access drivers (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255)

- Jackie

Re: AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

gisbradokla

To connect to personal and file-based Geodatabases, you must have the following:

  • A 32-bit operating system
  • Access to Personal and File Geodatabases
  • A valid license to either ArcGIS Desktop software or equivalent ArcEngine Runtime.

    ArcEngine is included with the ArcGIS Dektop products, such as ArcView, ArcEditor, and ArcInfo.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Bassler, Brian CTR NAVFAC MIDLANT, GIS <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Steven Wright
“I have a map of the United States... Actual size. It says, 'Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile.' I spent last summer folding it. I hardly ever unroll it. People ask me where I live, and I say, 'E6.”
Steven Wright

Re: AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

brianbassler
What is the license requirement for, to have save functionality?  Because I'm able to open a personal and save to dwg without said license.

Thanks for your reply,

Brian

Steven Wright <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/181771.Steven_Wright>
"I have a map of the United States... Actual size. It says, 'Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile.' I spent last summer folding it. I hardly ever unroll it. People ask me where I live, and I say, 'E6."
― Steven Wright <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/181771.Steven_Wright>

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

gisbradokla
That is what I found on Autodesk FDO help.
you would need to get licensing requirements from esri.
I do know that you must download the filegdb sdk and agree to the terms there.
If I am not mistaken at 2010 all the esri writers were disabled.
now at 2012 I think you can save to esri though I have not been successful doing that. or even getting the ogr provider activated so I could try.
brad

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Bassler, Brian CTR NAVFAC MIDLANT, GIS <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the license requirement for, to have save functionality?  Because I'm able to open a personal and save to dwg without said license.

Thanks for your reply,

Brian

Re: AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

Traian Stanev

One should not confuse “personal geodatabase” with “file geodatabase”. The former is just an MDB file that OGR can read without extra SDKs installed. The extra SDKs would be necessary to read the latter, newer format (at least that’s what I infer from reading the OGR docs – never tried file geodatabase myself).

Traian

Re: AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

gisbradokla
Good point.
I am hpin gthat someone successful with filegdb rings in here to help us get that first and second step going.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Traian Stanev <[hidden email]> wrote:

One should not confuse “personal geodatabase” with “file geodatabase”. The former is just an MDB file that OGR can read without extra SDKs installed. The extra SDKs would be necessary to read the latter, newer format (at least that’s what I infer from reading the OGR docs – never tried file geodatabase myself).

Traian

AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

brianbassler
We have been successful to date using AutoCAD Map 3D 2010 in Win XP, the 3.4 version of the OGR provider and personal geodatabases (.mdb) from ESRI Arc 9.3 versions.  That success being read only.  With enough horsepower we are able to load ALL features from a 200+ MB personal geodatabase and "Save to DWG".  It takes awhile and can't be done w less than 4 GB of RAM.

The problem is that in the near future, we will experience a global upgrade where we will switch over to AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 on 64 bit Win 7.  The Acad installation MUST be 64 bit version for security reasons (32 bit version actually contains 16 bit code).

It appears then that there is NO solution to do this on a 64 bit system. I guess this is the downfall to using open-source. Doesn't seem to be any other options.  I looked for other providers and thought I might be able to use FME's but it doesn't look like it will work with personal geodatabases.  I'm afraid we may have to step back into the dark ages and use shapefiles.  At least we can get at them read/write.

Brian

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

Jackie Ng
IMO it's more the downfall of using closed silos of proprietary data formats.

SHP files may be the dark ages, but it's a well documented format, which why everything since the beginning of time can read/write to it. Can we say the same thing about ESRI pgdbs?

- Jackie

Re: AutoCAD and FDO OGR for personal geodatbases

brianbassler
I agree 100% I just wish we could move fwd a bit.  The personal geodatabase would really be ideal since we are dealing with a single data "container".  In the case of what we'll be dealing with, in shapefile format, to move an entire dataset would entail handling 2500 or more individual files.  Just wishing . . .  :-)

Brian

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Using spatial filter when adding features to map

brianbassler
Greetings,

In AutoCAD Map 3D 2010, I'm connecting to a personal geodatabase using the OGR provider.  Once I've selected the desired features I can either Add to Map or Add to Map with Query.  Does Add to Map with Query even work with the OGR provider? The selections along the top of the Query Builder screen are Property, Operator, Math Function, Text Function Date Function, Geometiric and Conversion.  It appears that only the first two are enabled, the rest do nothing.  I'd like to be able to select a circle, and Add to Map only the objects that will fall within that circle but it looks like that capability does not exist with the OGR provider.  Is that correct?

Thanks,  Brian

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Using spatial filter when adding features to map

Romica Dascalescu
Hi Brian,

Query Builder is reading the connection (provider) capabilities and depending of the exposed capabilities more or less operations/functions supported will be exposed.
It seems OGR provider is not supporting many filtering functions in your case.

Regards,
Romy.