Asking for help setting up foss4g-na TGP

Asking for help setting up foss4g-na TGP

jody.garnett
I am afraid my last email focused a bit too much on the application process which I did not realize is not yet approved by the committee for 2019.

What I really need is assistance setting up a travel-grant-program in the short term, getting it on the website, and marshalling interested selection volunteers through a fair/balanced review process.

I am seeking 2-3 experienced folks from the conference committee to join a similar number for the foss4g-na LOC.

To be clear we can start a TGP with the budget project we have in hand and increase the number of awards if the event is successful in applying to the OSGeo program.
--
Jody Garnett

Re: Asking for help setting up foss4g-na TGP

stevenfeldman
Hi Jody

In advance of the notification of the application for TGP support for regional events by Till let me provide some help omn the process.

Quick version
  1. Work out your criteria (you need to have some criteria to thin down the number of applications which will inevitably exceed the funds available). e.g. if you only have 8 or 10 grants available and you get over 100 applications you need to have a quick and simple way to get the list down to 30 or 40 otherwise the work load on your team reading through all of the applications and trying to choose the best 10 will be unsustainable
  2. Build those criteria into the application form (it’s easy to clone the Google Form that we created) in a way that lets you easily filter out non compliant or low priority applications quickly. Make sure that the intro text to the form clearly explains your criteria, processes and any conditions
  3. Publish a page on OSGeo.org like https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/foss4g-2018-travel-grant-programme/ and add a link to it in the 2019 section on https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/foss4g-travel-grant-program/
    1. Make sure your TGP is widely advertised to reach targets who maybe aren’t on our normal channels
  4. For a regional programme I would suggest that a team of 4-5 people would be plenty.
    1. 4 voters should be enough to provide balance. it’s important that the selectors understand (and hopefully support) the selection criteria
    2. One person will need to coordinate the process and issue the blind selection sheets to the selectors, they need not necessarily be a voter (perhaps a volunteer from the CC?)
    3. You will need one member of the team to handle communications with applicants (Success, stand-by, sorry) and ongoing questions from the grantees (there will be plenty)
    4. You will need someone to organise the financial disbursements (whether they are in advance or at the event) - this could be the finance person within the LOC

It would be great if one of the North American members of CC could volunteer to help you get a TGP set up or one of the people who participated in the selections for 2017 or 2018. If none of those are available I will try to help you.
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

On 4 Mar 2019, at 19:23, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am afraid my last email focused a bit too much on the application process which I did not realize is not yet approved by the committee for 2019.

What I really need is assistance setting up a travel-grant-program in the short term, getting it on the website, and marshalling interested selection volunteers through a fair/balanced review process.

I am seeking 2-3 experienced folks from the conference committee to join a similar number for the foss4g-na LOC.

To be clear we can start a TGP with the budget project we have in hand and increase the number of awards if the event is successful in applying to the OSGeo program.
--
Jody Garnett

Re: Asking for help setting up foss4g-na TGP

jody.garnett
That is indeed where I started, and have provided feedback on the cookbook :)

- What I am looking for is the partnership between LOC and Conference committee to work on criteria and get that initial form together. I figure it would go better with experience...
- I can field 3 people from LOC/Volunteers, looking for 2 from conference committee to get us to that 4-5 number.
- Thank you for your offer to assist Steven we will very much take you up on it. Is there North American member of the conference committee you suggest I reach out to directly?

The rest can wait a few days since the important thing is to publish the TGP and be in a position to seek additional sponsors as organizations ask.
--
Jody Garnett