Artifacts in reprojected rasters - has this been fixed?

Artifacts in reprojected rasters - has this been fixed?

Phil Scadden
On 2.6.1, if a raster is reprojected, then "empty" space (where there is
no corresponding locatoin in the unprojected raster) around the edges of
the projected tile are showing up coloured instead of transparent. I
know is a known bug with Geotools. Has it been fixed in any later version?
--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.

Re: Artifacts in reprojected rasters - has this been fixed?

Maciej Filocha
+1 for fixing this bug ;)

W dniu 2015-06-26 o 03:57, Phil Scadden pisze:
> On 2.6.1, if a raster is reprojected, then "empty" space (where there is
> no corresponding locatoin in the unprojected raster) around the edges of
> the projected tile are showing up coloured instead of transparent. I
> know is a known bug with Geotools. Has it been fixed in any later version?

Re: Artifacts in reprojected rasters - has this been fixed?

Maciej Filocha

W dniu 2015-06-26 o 03:57, Phil Scadden pisze:
> On 2.6.1, if a raster is reprojected, then "empty" space (where there is
> no corresponding locatoin in the unprojected raster) around the edges of
> the projected tile are showing up coloured instead of transparent. I
> know is a known bug with Geotools. Has it been fixed in any later version?

After a small investigation I found a workaround for that issue. That
"empty spaces" outside borders of original raster are given a value of
255 instead of "no data" during reprojection process. So, if your scale
has defined a colour for such value, that will be the border...

Defining a new level exactly for 255 with zero opacity would help.
Another method is to rescale original data (e.g. from Kelvins to
Celsius, in my case) to avoid 255 at all.

Do you know the number of the bug report for that case (if any)?

Regards

Maciej

Re: Artifacts in reprojected rasters - has this been fixed?

Turkey
It would be great if this bug could be fixed. I can verify that it's still an issue in GeoServer 2.81.

I have re-projected rasters with weird border artifacts, and if I put a special white style in for value 255 then the border artifacts disappear.

255 is in the valid range of values so I would have to do a re-scaling exercise to work around this, but that's quite a large project in itself.

255 is in the valid range of values so I would have to do a re-scaling
exercise to work around this, but that's quite a large project in itself.

Re: Artifacts in reprojected rasters - has this been fixed?

geowolf
Wondering, is there a ticket with enough data to reproduce it on Jira? I see this one, but the linked test data is no more online (always best to attach it):

Also, tests should be done with the latest 2.8.x (even better, with 2.9.x).
Finally, if it's related to nodata, jai-ext should be enabled (a standard GeoServer does not have it enabled and cannot deal with nodata at all).

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Turkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would be great if this bug could be fixed. I can verify that it's still an
issue in GeoServer 2.81.

I have re-projected rasters with weird border artifacts, and if I put a
special white style in for value 255 then the border artifacts disappear.

255 is in the valid range of values so I would have to do a re-scaling
exercise to work around this, but that's quite a large project in itself.

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.