ArcGIS 9.3.1 and TileCache

Lis

ArcGIS 9.3.1 and TileCache

Lis
Hello

I want to use ArcGIS to read WMS:es that uses TileCache (my organisation uses ArcGIS and it is not us that has set up the WMS). I can access the WMS without problem but prestanda is poor. I do not know what WMS server is used but cache is made by TileCache (with excellent prestanda in my own test OpenLayers client btw).

I've been searching for additional information about using ArcGIS togeather with TileCache. I have a response from ESRI that a WMS that uses TileCache to speed up the access is not compatible with ArcGIS. ArcGIS will ignore the cache and access the WMS directly (resulting in prestanda problems).

I found a post from 2008 regarding this, has there been any movement since? Have anyone out there stumbled into this problem more recently? I'm locked to ArcGIS and my WMS, am I stuck with poor prestanda or do I have to make a WMS out of a WMS (let ArcGIS Server read the original WMS and create a new whose cache ArcGIS can read)?

I like neither of the solutions I can think of, are there any better?

Best regards, Lis

Re: ArcGIS 9.3.1 and TileCache

regioGIS
Hi Lis,

All depends on how you access the ArcGis WMS service.
We have choosen to let TileCache cache the ArcGIS WMS service, and then access the TileCache caches via OpenLayers. This works like a charm.

best regards
Lis

Re: ArcGIS 9.3.1 and TileCache

Lis
Hi and thanks for your reply.

The WMS service is not ArcGIS, I really don't know what WMS server that is used but the cache is TileCache. My GIS-program is ArcGIS and I can not change to OpenLayers unfortunatley. My problem is that ArcGIS (or any desktop GIS in my experience) cannot use tiles which leads to poor prestanda.

Has anyone come across using ArcGIS with TileCache? I don't think it's possible, do anyone have another solution?

Regards,
Lis

Re: ArcGIS 9.3.1 and TileCache

regioGIS
Hello Frank,

I have tilecache and AGS installed on the same machine, but it should not make any difference if installed on separate machines.
This is an extract from my cfg file :

[DEFAULT]
srs=EPSG:3035
bbox=2500000,1400000,6550000,5335000
size=512,512
extent_type=loose

[boundaries]
type=WMSLayer
url=http://localhost:8399/arcgis/services/eu_boundaries_n2/mapserver/wmsserver?transparent=true
extension=gif
levels=7
resolutions=5291.663809168211,1322.9159522920527,661.4579761460263,264.5831904584105,132.29159522920526,66.14579761460263,26.458319045841044
layers=0,1,2

(You know you have to work with the 'real' arcgis layer names, being the numbers ? )
Hope this helps.
________________________________

Re: ArcGIS 9.3.1 and TileCache

fgdrf
Thanks a lot. It works quite well. Is it also possible to add a group layer to the layers property?These kind of layers do not have a name attribute, only a title. And yes, I consumed a AGS WMS with a geotools API before and had seen, that the names are index numbers of the mxd element. But thanks for this advise!

Could you pleas describe the extent_type property. I couldn't find any description in the documentation. I was also confused a little bit about the type property (WMS or WMSLayer or both are fine)?

regards
Frank

2010/3/19 regioGIS <[hidden email]>

[...]

extent_type=loose allows out of bound tile requests. I use this because I generate tiles with parameter -p 1.
I tried type=WMS before ( as stated in the doc ) and it did not work for me. type=WMSLayer does.
Concerning the group layer, I don't know, I never tried it...
Cheers,