Arc SDE 9.3

George McLean
Is there any estimate on when FDO will support ArcSDE
9.3?

The GIS administrator I am working with pointed me to
the thread below from an ESRI forum that says some
interesting things about FDO and SDE. I would be
interested in other FDO users experience with SDE
regarding stability, locking tables, database
connections etc. I realize the thread is over a year
old and there may have been some changes since these
comments were posted.

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=2&f=59&t=216609&mc=9

Thanks

George McLean

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

Robert Fortin
George,

The thread you mention is not only 1.5 years old but also talks about Map 2007 which has been released in April 2006.  It is using much  older version of the ArcSDE FDO provider. Since then Map 2008 and Map 2009 have been released on updated FDO version and support for 9.2 has been added to ArcSDE Provider.  Some of the problem discussed there are of course outdated mainly the multiple connection issue inside Map.

We already posted an unofficial version of the ArcSDE provider supporting 9.3. At the moment, it won't support dbo user (on SQL Server) or Windows authentication but it is the plan to support those features in the 3.4 release.  Unofficial build can be downloaded from here http://download.osgeo.org/fdo/3.4.0/weekly/.

Some user on this thread have actually indicated that they used the existing provider using 9.3 client components against 9.3 server without any problem.

As Romy mentioned, you can download the latest patch for the provider depending on the version of FDO you want to use.  Go to the FDO download page  http://fdo.osgeo.org/content/downloads.

Hope it helps.

Robert

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

gisbradokla
I agree with Robert. In fact map 2009 performs much better than 2008 and has
new capability.
BTW (not in the aforementioned thread) be careful when you see FDO on the
esri website it is usually referring to an internal ADO component not the
opensource data connection.
Brad

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

George McLean

Thanks Robert, this does help. I was not trying to
stir things up too much with the thread I posted. I
just needed to know how relevant it was compared to
the present state of FDO and ArcSDE so I could take
that information back to the GIS administrator I am
working with.

If I understand you correctly, the weekly build will
support SQL Server with SQL Server Authentication. Is
that correct?

Thanks again.

[...]

Jason Birch
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

Robert Fortin
Jason,

I just double checked with our developer:  The only issue we found was due to the CreateSpatialContext command.  That has not been fixed yet. That forces us to hand craft our unit test since this command was used to build the data set.  But in the case of ArcSDE provider, this is not a command that you are likely to use as the schema is already created using ArcSDE tools.

So, as long as you use the provider on Windows, without dbo user and without Windows Authentication, you should be able to use the 3.3.2 provider to connect to ArcSDE 9.3 using either 9.2 or 9.3 client dlls.  I read that there was some restriction using 9.2 client with SP5 and above but I think it has to do with direct connect mode only.

BTW I'm trying to the get info on how to setup direct connect on the FDO site.  I think this should also work for FDO 3.3.2 but we really just tested it with FDO 3.4 so far.

RF

From: Robert Fortin

As Romy mentioned, you can download the latest patch for the provider depending on the version of FDO you want to use.  Go to the FDO download page  http://fdo.osgeo.org/content/downloads.

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

Robert Fortin
George,

As long as you don't use a dbo user, it should work.  See my response to Jason too.

Just remembr that this is unofficial build of 3.4 so it's WORK-IN-PROGRESS still.
See the road map page for the release plan for FDO 3.4 http://fdo.osgeo.org/content/road-map

Robert

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

Robert Fortin
Just a clarification around direct connect:  this applies to the provider itself.  Some application might have issue because it won't let you enter the connection parameters in order to connect properly.

Additional information on how to setup direct connect should clarify this.

RF

Robert, was the 9.3 support backported to FDO 3.3 (for inclusion in 3.3.2), or will users have to wait for the 2010 products to appear in order to take advantage of this?

Thanks,
Jason

> Just a clarification around direct connect: this applies to the provider itself. Some application might have issue because it won't let you enter the connection parameters in order to connect properly.
>
> Additional information on how to setup direct connect should clarify this.
Robert,
 Will you let us know when and where this documentation is when you get it done?
Thanks
Brad

> RF

Stay organized with simple drag and drop from Windows Live Hotmail. Try it

Re: Arc SDE 9.3

George McLean
Hi Robert,

I am not sure how to try the 3.4 build but this is what I have done so far:

I downloaded the fdosdk_3.4.0_win32_release_G032.tar and copied the
dills and providers.xml file into the FDO\bin folder in my map 2009
installation. When I do this and start Map 2009,  mapstartwspace fails
so I do not get the task pane. Should this approach work? I am guessing
that I do not understand all the steps required to make this work.

I tried connecting to ArcSDE using the version 3.3.2 providers but that
failed with the error: DBMS table not found (-37).The GIS Administrator
has been able to create a feature class using ArcCatalog with the same
account I am using to access the data store so I don't think this is a
permissions issue.

Any suggestions? Thanks again for the help.

George

Robert Fortin wrote:

> George,
>
> As long as you don't use a dbo user, it should work.  See my response to Jason too.
>
> Just remembr that this is unofficial build of 3.4 so it's WORK-IN-PROGRESS still.
> See the road map page for the release plan for FDO 3.4 http://fdo.osgeo.org/content/road-map
>
> Robert

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

Jack Lee-2
Hi,

Fdo 3.4 dlls are not binary compatible with Map 2009 which uses Fdo 3.3.2.

Are you using the dbo user or sde user?

Did you get the error message when retrieving the versions?

Robert Fortin wrote:

> George,
>
> As long as you don't use a dbo user, it should work.  See my response to Jason too.
>
> Just remembr that this is unofficial build of 3.4 so it's WORK-IN-PROGRESS still.
> See the road map page for the release plan for FDO 3.4 http://fdo.osgeo.org/content/road-map
>
> Robert

Re: Arc SDE 9.3

George McLean
I am getting the error when retrieving the versions.

I am not sure if I am using the sde user. How can I verify that? When I
connect directly to the database through SQL Server Management Studio, I
see the user defined in the security tab. Does the user need to be
defined for sde separately?

Thanks

George

Jack Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Fdo 3.4 dlls are not binary compatible with Map 2009 which uses Fdo 3.3.2.
>
> Are you using the dbo user or sde user?
>
> Did you get the error message when retrieving the versions?

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

Jack Lee-2
Hi,

In SQL Server Management Studio, do you have a table named sde.SDE_state_lineages or dbo.SDE_state_lineages?

Jack Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Fdo 3.4 dlls are not binary compatible with Map 2009 which uses Fdo 3.3.2.
>
> Are you using the dbo user or sde user?
>
> Did you get the error message when retrieving the versions?

Re: Arc SDE 9.3

George McLean
It looks like it is dbo.SDE_state_lineages. Does this mean the current
provider will not work?

Thanks

George

Jack Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In SQL Server Management Studio, do you have a table named sde.SDE_state_lineages or dbo.SDE_state_lineages?

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

Robert Fortin
George,

Using dbo instead of sde user is new to 9.3 and we are looking into fixing this issue in the provider.
Unless you switch to using a sde user, it will not work at the moment.

Robert

Jack Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In SQL Server Management Studio, do you have a table named sde.SDE_state_lineages or dbo.SDE_state_lineages?

Re: Arc SDE 9.3

George McLean
Thanks Robert.

As I understand it, to use the sde user, the tables would need to be
moved to the sde schema. Is that correct? If so, I am not sure if I
could get the GIS administrator to go for that.

If I can not get the schema changed, is there a rough idea of when the
provider would support the dbo user.

Thanks again.

George

Robert Fortin wrote:

> George,
>
> Using dbo instead of sde user is new to 9.3 and we are looking into fixing this issue in the provider.
> Unless you switch to using a sde user, it will not work at the moment.
>
> Robert

RE: Arc SDE 9.3

Robert Fortin
I'm not the ArcSDE installation expert but from what I understand, this is configured during the Arcsde installation process.
I don't think moving the table will do the trick or could cause ArcSDE to stop working.

Yesterday our developer did some code change and is conducting some test on 3.4.  If it all works ok,  we will have to backport it to 3.3.X branch and provide you with a patch to test with. Hopefully this could happen sometime next week if we don't encounter other problems.

Robert Fortin wrote:

> George,
>
> Using dbo instead of sde user is new to 9.3 and we are looking into fixing this issue in the provider.
> Unless you switch to using a sde user, it will not work at the moment.
>
> Robert

Re: Arc SDE 9.3

George McLean
Having a patch to test this with would be great. Hopefully it all goes
well and I can give it a try soon.

Thanks again for all the help.

George

Robert Fortin wrote:

> I'm not the ArcSDE installation expert but from what I understand, this is configured during the Arcsde installation process.
> I don't think moving the table will do the trick or could cause ArcSDE to stop working.
>
> Yesterday our developer did some code change and is conducting some test on 3.4.  If it all works ok,  we will have to backport it to 3.3.X branch and provide you with a patch to test with. Hopefully this could happen sometime next week if we don't encounter other problems.
>
> Robert

Re: Arc SDE 9.3

Steve Golden
This is an old post, but I am having problems and wondering if using the dbo user or windows authentication is still problematic with FDO 3.5 ArcSDE provider (I am using Mapguide 2.2)?

I found this ticket, http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/ticket/412, so I assume that it was fixed, but I am having problems connecting to ArcSDE 9.3 (SQL Server) using Mapguide 2.2 (using Maestro 4.0).

I am not having problems connecting to ArcSDE 9.3 using FDOToolBox 1.0 RC1 (1.0.0.1245) which uses FDO 3.6.  I'd rather have the database setup as a sde user, but I am not the one who originally installed ArcSDE.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Steve