Arable land dataset

Madoda Man-D Malindi
Hi All,
I'm looking for an arable land dataset of the Eastern Cape. I want to use this layer as a proxy to identify potential cultivation land parcels for maize, weet, etc in the Eastern Capes. I'm hoping someone might know where I can get a hold of this dataset. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Regards,

Madoda Malindi

Re: Arable land dataset

Luncedo Ngcofe

Dear Madoda

My suggestion would be for you to get national land cover dataset (2018 freely available from DRDLR and DEA). Then you can do your analysis.

For DRDLR you can request it at: [hidden email]

Regards

Luncedo

I'm looking for an arable land dataset of the Eastern Cape. I want to use this layer as a proxy to identify potential cultivation land parcels for maize, weet, etc in the Eastern Capes. I'm hoping someone might know where I can get a hold of this dataset. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Regards,

Madoda Malindi

I'm looking for an arable land dataset of the Eastern Cape. I want to use this layer as a proxy to identify potential cultivation land parcels for maize, weet, etc in the Eastern Capes. I'm hoping someone might know where I can get a hold of this dataset. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Regards,

Madoda Malindi

Madoda Malindi
University of Fort Hare
Department of Applied Geographic Information System and Remote Sensing
Call : 071 8417 229

Re: Arable land dataset

Willem Badenhorst
Dear Madoda.

The Dept of Agriculture has an excellent (fairly) new agriculture potential layer which is an index consisting of soil, climate and terrain which then feeds into the final agri potential index.  The person you can contact is Anneliza Corlett - [hidden email]   012 319 7508

I am sure this is the best layer currently.  If she is fine with it I can also share it with you via Dropbox.

Kind regards
Willem

PS, we are excited about the Position IT article on our ScoutMaster Application -  land use surveys for Ekurhuleni and Mogale City...read more at  Position IT article

Willem Badenhorst (Manager)

PLATO Professional GISc Practitioner, PGP1411

South African Planning Institute, 12578

Geo-Information Society of South Africa, YSXB­7391

Landuse Survey App

  Click Click Survey Done!

ScoutMaster is a Web Mapping and Land use Survey application integrating mapping, data visualisation and project collaboration for land use survey teams in South Africa.

Postnet Suite 402; Private Bag x025; Lynnwood Ridge; Pretoria; 0040; Gauteng

Cell: 082 467 5110  -  Fax: +27112527219  -  Skype: kwasimojo

www.mandalagis.com   Click to see map   Click to see StreetView

Disclaimer

This e-mail is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received it in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail or by telephone +27 (0)82 467 5110 and delete the e-mail. You may not copy, distribute, disclose or take any action in reliance on it. While we take reasonable precautions to minimise the risk of an attachment containing computer viruses this possibility still exists. We cannot accept liability for any damage which you may sustain as a result of a software virus. We recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening an attachment. We do not accept responsibility for any amendments made to any attached documents without our approval. We do not accept responsibility for private or personal messages e-mailed from our domain.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:40 PM Madoda Man-D Malindi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you very much, I  sent them a request

On Monday, December 2, 2019, Luncedo Ngcofe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Madoda

My suggestion would be for you to get national land cover dataset (2018 freely available from DRDLR and DEA). Then you can do your analysis.

For DRDLR you can request it at: [hidden email]

Regards

Luncedo

Re: Arable land dataset

Willem Badenhorst
Hi Madoda.

I am also aware of specific suitability layers for different crops that is available.  I saw it on the SAEON data repository.  http://app01.saeon.ac.za/PLATFORM_TEST/MAP/signature.asp?sources=http://app01.saeon.ac.za:8085/geoserver/wms

Hope this helps.