Application to host Open Source Project "GeoStyler" as OSGeo Community Project

Application to host Open Source Project "GeoStyler" as OSGeo Community Project

Jan Suleiman
Dear Incubation Committee,

we would like to introduce our Open Source project "GeoStyler".

GeoStyler is an Open Source JavaScript library that enables users to
style maps with the help of a Graphical User Interface.
The goal of GeoStyler is a universally applicable GUI that works with
any given style format; may it be SLD, QML, OpenLayers, etc.

In order to achieve that goal, we follow a plugin-approach where so
called "style-parsers" can be plugged into the UI. These style parsers
work as a conversion tool to bidirectionally convert between any
external style and our internal style format.
As a positive side effect, we are able to convert from one external
format to another one (e.g. from QML to SLD, etc.).

The GUI library is written in react but also provides browser builds to
enable its usage outside of any react application.

With thanks to currently 16 different contributors, we successfully
maintain 15 repositories in our GitHub organisation, including the UI
library and documentation, different style-parsers, data-parsers, type
definitions, a demo application and a tutorial. The majority of these
was also already published on NPM. On the OSGeo Bolsena Code Sprint
2019, a GeoServer Community Extension was written that integrates
GeoStyler and allows the creation of styles within GeoServer by using
our GUI.

The GitHub organisation can be found here:
https://github.com/geostyler/geostyler
The Demo Application including links to Docs, GitHub and NPM can be
found here: https://geostyler.org
The GeoServer Plugin here:
https://docs.geoserver.org/master/en/user/community/geostyler/index.html
FOSS4G 2019 Talk:
https://media.ccc.de/v/bucharest-204-geostyler-a-generic-graphical-style-editor-for-geodata
FOSSGIS 2019 Talk (German):
https://media.ccc.de/v/fossgis2019-478-geostyler-ein-generischer-grafischer-stileditor-fr-geodaten
AGIT 2019 Talk (German): https://av.tib.eu/media/43048
FOSSGIS 2020 Talk (German):
https://media.ccc.de/v/fossgis2020-3027-neues-vom-geostyler

The licenses are BSD-2-Clause and we are very happy and eager to extend
the list of contributors. Our first goal would be to be listed on the
OSGeo webpage and in the long run to release GeoStyler as an OSGeo
Community Project.

In the future, we would like to provide additional style-parsers (e.g.
for mapserver) and extend the UI library with additional components to
further simplify styling maps.

We are happy to receive your support, if there are any questions, we are
happy to help!

Kind regards

Jan Suleiman

--

   M.Sc. Geoinformatik Jan Suleiman
   - Anwendungsentwickler -

   terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
   Kölnstraße 99
   53111 Bonn

   Tel: +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -51
   Fax: +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -57

   Email: [hidden email]
   Web: http://www.terrestris.de

   Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH vertreten durch:
   Torsten Brassat, Marc Jansen

   Informationen über Ihre gespeicherten Daten finden Sie auf
   unserer Homepage unter folgendem Link:
   https://www.terrestris.de/datenschutzerklaerung/

Re: Application to host Open Source Project "GeoStyler" as OSGeo Community Project

Jan Suleiman

Hi Cameron,

thank you very much for your reply. We are happy to hear that you see GeoStyler as a suitable project.

Generally, we think including GeoStyler in OSGeoLive would be great. However, we first have to think about how we could include it, so that it actually makes sense (since GeoStyler is a collection of libraries in the first place).

We will discuss this with the community, to come up with a proper solution.

Kind regards

Jan

On 3/24/20 11:18 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

Hi Jan,

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm hoping one of the more active members of the incubation committee would speak up.

Assuming GeoStyler fits Jody's checklist (which it looks like it does), I'm strongly in favour of including GeoStyler as an OSGeo community project.

From what I can see, GeoStyler addresses a pain point that many of us in the OSGeo community have faced at some point, and I'd love to see it promoted and grow. In particular, I'd love to see GeoStyler included in OSGeoLive, http://live.osgeo.org

The application process here: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Projects/How_to_apply. Would you be interested in joining OSGeoLive? (Note the ongoing commitment required in questions).

Cheers, Cameron

On 19/3/20 3:19 am, Jan Suleiman wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254
--

  M.Sc. Geoinformatik Jan Suleiman
  - Anwendungsentwickler -

  terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
  Kölnstraße 99
  53111 Bonn

  Tel: +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -51
  Fax: +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -57

  Email: [hidden email]
  Web: http://www.terrestris.de

  Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH vertreten durch:
  Torsten Brassat, Marc Jansen

  Informationen über Ihre gespeicherten Daten finden Sie auf
  unserer Homepage unter folgendem Link:
  https://www.terrestris.de/datenschutzerklaerung/

Re: Application to host Open Source Project "GeoStyler" as OSGeo Community Project

adams@osgeo.org
Dear Jan,

just FYI: There is knowledge in our house, as Carmen did some work to
integrate actinia in OSGeo Live. But this is step after your discussion
n how ...

Till

Am 25.03.20 um 16:34 schrieb Jan Suleiman:

> [...]
>>> are happy to help!
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Jan Suleiman
>>>
>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> Technology Demystifier
>> Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant
>>
>> M +61 (0) 419 142 254
>
> --
>
>   M.Sc. Geoinformatik Jan Suleiman
>   - Anwendungsentwickler -
>
>   terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
>   Kölnstraße 99
>   53111 Bonn
>
>   Tel: +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -51
>   Fax: +49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -57
>
>   Email: [hidden email]
>   Web: http://www.terrestris.de
>
>   Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH vertreten durch:
>   Torsten Brassat, Marc Jansen
>
>   Informationen über Ihre gespeicherten Daten finden Sie auf

Re: [OSGeoLive] Application to host Open Source Project "GeoStyler" as OSGeo Community Project

jody.garnett
Jan / Cameron:

Checking in briefly, sorry I have been overset with activities lately and hope everyone is staying well. The incubation checklist list available for other members of the committee to work through also; I am quite found of the GeoStyler project and it is an impressive and useful project.

Indeed because of my (small) contributions it may be best of a mother committee member has a look?

  1. Be geospatial
    • Confirm by checking README or project description
    • project page on the osgeo website
    • We ask projects have some user documentation, for example an OSGeo Live quickstart
  2. Have a free license or an open source license.
    • The license must be OSI approved
    • We ask that the project team check the file headers and double check the license has been appropriately applied
  3. Welcome participation and new contributors.
    • We look for a clear contribution policy
    • We ask that the project demonstrate collaboration, perhaps with a history of bug report or pull requests
    • Projects are required to have a code of conduct

--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 15:18, Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jan,

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm hoping one of the more active members of the incubation committee would speak up.

Assuming GeoStyler fits Jody's checklist (which it looks like it does), I'm strongly in favour of including GeoStyler as an OSGeo community project.

From what I can see, GeoStyler addresses a pain point that many of us in the OSGeo community have faced at some point, and I'd love to see it promoted and grow. In particular, I'd love to see GeoStyler included in OSGeoLive, http://live.osgeo.org