Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Till Adams-3
Dear CC,

as you might have seen, Vasile (in case you don't know: the chair of the
upcoming global FOSS4G in Bucharest ;-)) requested CC to support their
travel grant programme (TGP) with 15.000 US $. There is some information
on Bucharest's TGP already on their webpage:

https://2019.foss4g.org/launch-of-the-travel-grant-program-foss4g-2019-bucharest/

Our overall TGP-support budget for 2019 is 25.000 US $ of which we
already dedicated 2.000 US $ to FOSS4G NA.

I think *that* we support TGP of FOSS4G Bucharest is beyond question, so
I would propose, that we discuss the amount of our grant until 07th of
April. Based on the discussions I would then propose an amount for
Bucharest and we can finalize the support.

Many thanks,

Till

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Till Adams-3
Dear CC,

I propose to give full support to Vasile's request and to support TGP
Buchares with 15.000 Us $.

TGP is an important building block when it comes to expanding our global
community.

Till

Am 03.04.19 um 09:09 schrieb Till Adams:

> Dear CC,
>
> as you might have seen, Vasile (in case you don't know: the chair of the
> upcoming global FOSS4G in Bucharest ;-)) requested CC to support their
> travel grant programme (TGP) with 15.000 US $. There is some information
> on Bucharest's TGP already on their webpage:
>
> https://2019.foss4g.org/launch-of-the-travel-grant-program-foss4g-2019-bucharest/
>

> Our overall TGP-support budget for 2019 is 25.000 US $ of which we
> already dedicated 2.000 US $ to FOSS4G NA.
>
> I think *that* we support TGP of FOSS4G Bucharest is beyond question, so
> I would propose, that we discuss the amount of our grant until 07th of
> April. Based on the discussions I would then propose an amount for
> Bucharest and we can finalize the support.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Till

R: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Maria Antonia Brovelli
+1
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

I propose to give full support to Vasile's request and to support TGP
Buchares with 15.000 Us $.

TGP is an important building block when it comes to expanding our global
community.

Till

Am 03.04.19 um 09:09 schrieb Till Adams:
> Dear CC,
>
> as you might have seen, Vasile (in case you don't know: the chair of the
> upcoming global FOSS4G in Bucharest ;-)) requested CC to support their
> travel grant programme (TGP) with 15.000 US $. There is some information
> on Bucharest's TGP already on their webpage:
>
> https://2019.foss4g.org/launch-of-the-travel-grant-program-foss4g-2019-bucharest/
>

> Our overall TGP-support budget for 2019 is 25.000 US $ of which we
> already dedicated 2.000 US $ to FOSS4G NA.
>
> I think *that* we support TGP of FOSS4G Bucharest is beyond question, so
> I would propose, that we discuss the amount of our grant until 07th of
> April. Based on the discussions I would then propose an amount for
> Bucharest and we can finalize the support.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Till

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Msilikale Msilanga
+1

Msilikale

> On 3 Apr 2019, at 10:11 AM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear CC,
>
> I propose to give full support to Vasile's request and to support TGP
> Buchares with 15.000 Us $.
>
> TGP is an important building block when it comes to expanding our global
> community.
>

> Till
>

> Am 03.04.19 um 09:09 schrieb Till Adams:
>> Dear CC,
>>
>> as you might have seen, Vasile (in case you don't know: the chair of the
>> upcoming global FOSS4G in Bucharest ;-)) requested CC to support their
>> travel grant programme (TGP) with 15.000 US $. There is some information
>> on Bucharest's TGP already on their webpage:
>>
>> https://2019.foss4g.org/launch-of-the-travel-grant-program-foss4g-2019-bucharest/
>>

>> Our overall TGP-support budget for 2019 is 25.000 US $ of which we
>> already dedicated 2.000 US $ to FOSS4G NA.
>>
>> I think *that* we support TGP of FOSS4G Bucharest is beyond question, so
>> I would propose, that we discuss the amount of our grant until 07th of
>> April. Based on the discussions I would then propose an amount for
>> Bucharest and we can finalize the support.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Till

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

michael terner-2
+1 for full support of the BLOC's $15,000 request.

I thought that Vasile's explanation of their intents, their criteria for selection and the amounts of the grants was well thought out and very clear. Equally, his review of the broader financial picture and how the TGP fit into that was very helpful. Indeed, with all conference profits slated to be returned to OSGeo, this will be OSGeo's TGP and it gratifying to see the ground work established by many volunteers, particularly Steven and Till, in normalizing and adding structure to this important program.

MT

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 3:16 AM Msilikale Msilanga <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Msilikale

> On 3 Apr 2019, at 10:11 AM, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear CC,
>
> I propose to give full support to Vasile's request and to support TGP
> Buchares with 15.000 Us $.
>
> TGP is an important building block when it comes to expanding our global
> community.
>

> Till
>

> Am 03.04.19 um 09:09 schrieb Till Adams:
>> Dear CC,
>>
>> as you might have seen, Vasile (in case you don't know: the chair of the
>> upcoming global FOSS4G in Bucharest ;-)) requested CC to support their
>> travel grant programme (TGP) with 15.000 US $. There is some information
>> on Bucharest's TGP already on their webpage:
>>
>> https://2019.foss4g.org/launch-of-the-travel-grant-program-foss4g-2019-bucharest/
>>

>> Our overall TGP-support budget for 2019 is 25.000 US $ of which we
>> already dedicated 2.000 US $ to FOSS4G NA.
>>
>> I think *that* we support TGP of FOSS4G Bucharest is beyond question, so
>> I would propose, that we discuss the amount of our grant until 07th of
>> April. Based on the discussions I would then propose an amount for
>> Bucharest and we can finalize the support.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Till

Michael Terner
(M) 978-631-6602

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Eli Adam
On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear CC,
>
> I propose to give full support to Vasile's request and to support TGP
> Buchares with 15.000 Us $.

I support reserving $15,000 (USD) of our budget for the Global FOSS4G
TGP in Bucharest 2019.  I think this is a reasonable approach for now
and also within the realm of the conference committee chair and/or
those running the TGP.

> TGP is an important building block when it comes to expanding our global
> community.
>

> Till
>

> Am 03.04.19 um 09:09 schrieb Till Adams:
> > Dear CC,
> >
> > as you might have seen, Vasile (in case you don't know: the chair of the
> > upcoming global FOSS4G in Bucharest ;-)) requested CC to support their
> > travel grant programme (TGP) with 15.000 US $. There is some information
> > on Bucharest's TGP already on their webpage:
> >
> > https://2019.foss4g.org/launch-of-the-travel-grant-program-foss4g-2019-bucharest/
> >

> > Our overall TGP-support budget for 2019 is 25.000 US $ of which we
> > already dedicated 2.000 US $ to FOSS4G NA.
> >
> > I think *that* we support TGP of FOSS4G Bucharest is beyond question, so
> > I would propose, that we discuss the amount of our grant until 07th of
> > April. Based on the discussions I would then propose an amount for
> > Bucharest and we can finalize the support.

Right, I'd like to discuss specifics after April 19th when our call
for regional TGP closes,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2019-March/005128.html.
We'll have a better understanding of our budget after that point in
time.  Reserving $15,000 is a good approach for now.

Best regards, Eli

> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Till

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Cameron Shorter
+1 Cameron.
I appreciate Vasile's logical analysis and principles which he bases his application upon. The amount requested is a significant proportion (60%) of the Travel Grant budget, which reduces availability to regional events. I'm still supportive because:
1. There is an emphasis on attracting local attendees (higher value for money).
2. Europe has a high population density which makes it close to many potentially close attendees.
3. The global event should be promoted as the main FOSS4G event for the year and budgeted accordingly.
4. The application applies OSGeo morals and principles.

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 02:41, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear CC,
>
> I propose to give full support to Vasile's request and to support TGP
> Buchares with 15.000 Us $.

I support reserving $15,000 (USD) of our budget for the Global FOSS4G
TGP in Bucharest 2019.  I think this is a reasonable approach for now
and also within the realm of the conference committee chair and/or
those running the TGP.

> TGP is an important building block when it comes to expanding our global
> community.
>

> Till
>

> Am 03.04.19 um 09:09 schrieb Till Adams:
> > Dear CC,
> >
> > as you might have seen, Vasile (in case you don't know: the chair of the
> > upcoming global FOSS4G in Bucharest ;-)) requested CC to support their
> > travel grant programme (TGP) with 15.000 US $. There is some information
> > on Bucharest's TGP already on their webpage:
> >
> > https://2019.foss4g.org/launch-of-the-travel-grant-program-foss4g-2019-bucharest/
> >

> > Our overall TGP-support budget for 2019 is 25.000 US $ of which we
> > already dedicated 2.000 US $ to FOSS4G NA.
> >
> > I think *that* we support TGP of FOSS4G Bucharest is beyond question, so
> > I would propose, that we discuss the amount of our grant until 07th of
> > April. Based on the discussions I would then propose an amount for
> > Bucharest and we can finalize the support.

Right, I'd like to discuss specifics after April 19th when our call
for regional TGP closes,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2019-March/005128.html.
We'll have a better understanding of our budget after that point in
time.  Reserving $15,000 is a good approach for now.

Best regards, Eli

> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Till

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Peter Batty
+1 Peter

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 12:42 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 Cameron.
I appreciate Vasile's logical analysis and principles which he bases his application upon. The amount requested is a significant proportion (60%) of the Travel Grant budget, which reduces availability to regional events. I'm still supportive because:
1. There is an emphasis on attracting local attendees (higher value for money).
2. Europe has a high population density which makes it close to many potentially close attendees.
3. The global event should be promoted as the main FOSS4G event for the year and budgeted accordingly.
4. The application applies OSGeo morals and principles.

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 02:41, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear CC,
>
> I propose to give full support to Vasile's request and to support TGP
> Buchares with 15.000 Us $.

I support reserving $15,000 (USD) of our budget for the Global FOSS4G
TGP in Bucharest 2019.  I think this is a reasonable approach for now
and also within the realm of the conference committee chair and/or
those running the TGP.

> TGP is an important building block when it comes to expanding our global
> community.
>

> Till
>

> Am 03.04.19 um 09:09 schrieb Till Adams:
> > Dear CC,
> >
> > as you might have seen, Vasile (in case you don't know: the chair of the
> > upcoming global FOSS4G in Bucharest ;-)) requested CC to support their
> > travel grant programme (TGP) with 15.000 US $. There is some information
> > on Bucharest's TGP already on their webpage:
> >
> > https://2019.foss4g.org/launch-of-the-travel-grant-program-foss4g-2019-bucharest/
> >

> > Our overall TGP-support budget for 2019 is 25.000 US $ of which we
> > already dedicated 2.000 US $ to FOSS4G NA.
> >
> > I think *that* we support TGP of FOSS4G Bucharest is beyond question, so
> > I would propose, that we discuss the amount of our grant until 07th of
> > April. Based on the discussions I would then propose an amount for
> > Bucharest and we can finalize the support.

Right, I'd like to discuss specifics after April 19th when our call
for regional TGP closes,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2019-March/005128.html.
We'll have a better understanding of our budget after that point in
time.  Reserving $15,000 is a good approach for now.

Best regards, Eli

> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Till

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Sanghee Shin
+1

Sanghee

2019년 4월 6일 (토) 오전 6:53, Peter Batty <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
+1 Peter

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 12:42 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 Cameron.
I appreciate Vasile's logical analysis and principles which he bases his application upon. The amount requested is a significant proportion (60%) of the Travel Grant budget, which reduces availability to regional events. I'm still supportive because:
1. There is an emphasis on attracting local attendees (higher value for money).
2. Europe has a high population density which makes it close to many potentially close attendees.
3. The global event should be promoted as the main FOSS4G event for the year and budgeted accordingly.
4. The application applies OSGeo morals and principles.

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 02:41, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 12:11 AM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear CC,
>
> I propose to give full support to Vasile's request and to support TGP
> Buchares with 15.000 Us $.

I support reserving $15,000 (USD) of our budget for the Global FOSS4G
TGP in Bucharest 2019.  I think this is a reasonable approach for now
and also within the realm of the conference committee chair and/or
those running the TGP.

> TGP is an important building block when it comes to expanding our global
> community.
>

> Till
>

> Am 03.04.19 um 09:09 schrieb Till Adams:
> > Dear CC,
> >
> > as you might have seen, Vasile (in case you don't know: the chair of the
> > upcoming global FOSS4G in Bucharest ;-)) requested CC to support their
> > travel grant programme (TGP) with 15.000 US $. There is some information
> > on Bucharest's TGP already on their webpage:
> >
> > https://2019.foss4g.org/launch-of-the-travel-grant-program-foss4g-2019-bucharest/
> >

> > Our overall TGP-support budget for 2019 is 25.000 US $ of which we
> > already dedicated 2.000 US $ to FOSS4G NA.
> >
> > I think *that* we support TGP of FOSS4G Bucharest is beyond question, so
> > I would propose, that we discuss the amount of our grant until 07th of
> > April. Based on the discussions I would then propose an amount for
> > Bucharest and we can finalize the support.

Right, I'd like to discuss specifics after April 19th when our call
for regional TGP closes,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2019-March/005128.html.
We'll have a better understanding of our budget after that point in
time.  Reserving $15,000 is a good approach for now.

Best regards, Eli

> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Till

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Jachym Cepicky
+1

so 6. 4. 2019 v 1:36 odesílatel Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> napsal:

> +1
>
> Sanghee
>
> 2019년 4월 6일 (토) 오전 6:53, Peter Batty <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
>>
>> +1 Peter
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 12:42 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 Cameron.
>>> I appreciate Vasile's logical analysis and principles which he bases his application upon. The amount requested is a significant proportion (60%) of the Travel Grant budget, which reduces availability to regional events. I'm still supportive because:
>>> 1. There is an emphasis on attracting local attendees (higher value for money).
>>> 2. Europe has a high population density which makes it close to many potentially close attendees.
>>> 3. The global event should be promoted as the main FOSS4G event for the year and budgeted accordingly.
>>> 4. The application applies OSGeo morals and principles.

>>> --
>>> Cameron Shorter
>>> Technology Demystifier
>>> Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant
>>>
>>> M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Jonathan Moules-4
Hi List,

Vasile's selection criteria are a good starting point, but I'd again
like to suggestion that consideration and prioritisation be given for
sustainable means of travel for the TGP. Otherwise it's simply
compounding the CO2 problem which I don't think any of us want.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Cameron Shorter
Jonathan, I think that a goal of reducing CO2 from travel is admirable,
and something that we should consider incorporating into our FOSS4G
Cookbook. It conveniently aligns with promoting regional events and
reducing travel costs for people by promoting regional events. It also
aligns with Vasile's focus on promoting local attendance.

I'd be wary of retrospectively imposing extra rules on FOSS4G 2019, and
should not delay making a +1, -1 decision on this vote, but could be
provided as a suggestion which might or might not be adopted.

If we feel strongly about encouraging this topic, we should do the
research in advance.

* What are the travel implications (such as time taken and cost) for
different travel options from different catchment areas for the conference?

* Can people purchase CO2 offset for travel tickets? How much would that
add?

Johathan, would you be interested in providing such research? (It would
make your suggestion easier to be considered effectively, as FOSS4G
organising committee are likely too overworked to take on extra tasks.)

On 6/4/19 8:40 pm, Jonathan Moules wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Vasile's selection criteria are a good starting point, but I'd again
> like to suggestion that consideration and prioritisation be given for
> sustainable means of travel for the TGP. Otherwise it's simply
> compounding the CO2 problem which I don't think any of us want.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jonathan

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Jonathan Moules-4
Hi Cameron,
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

It seems that from a sustainability perspective, travel is the single
biggest potential contributor of CO2 emissions, especially for
international conferences like FOSS4G:
https://www.terrapass.com/reducing-carbon-footprint-conference

The pertinent line: "As efficiencies go, conference coordinators address
venue, food, local transportation, and water regularly but around 90% of
emissions from conferences and events are created by attendee travel."

 > * What are the travel implications (such as time taken and cost) for
different travel options from different catchment areas for the conference?
A good idea, but thinking about it, this is usually best researched by
someone local to the area. They'll know what the intra-country travel is
like (rather than live half a continent away and don't speak the
language), and hopefully have some idea as to what the connections to
the surrounding countries are like too.

That said, I did happen to go to Romania last year so have some idea as
to the answers specific to Bucharest 2019:
- Internationally there's a direct sleeper-train from Vienna (Austria)
via Hungary. It's cheap and takes about half a day (crossing Romania
(slowly!)) as well as the night (saves on a hotel!). There are also
direct (sleepers and day trains) to Hungary (same train as Vienna),
Moldova, Bulgaria, and Turkey - I suspect they're even cheaper.
- Buses - There seem to be lots -
http://romaniatourism.com/transportation.html
- Within the country there are a fair number of trains; they can be
absurdly cheap, but they are very slow (the fastest I came across was
about 100km/h on average!). There are also a lot of buses but I'm not
familiar with them beyond their existence.

Calgary 2020 - I know nothing about Canada so this is just from a quick
search.
At selection time just looking at a map told me this was a write-off
from a travel sustainability perspective. It turns out it's even worse
than that! The closest place with any significant population is ~650km
away (Vancouver) -
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/74/d2/94/74d2943b0262440666a763f81b686a54.jpg
. Worst of all though, it turns out Calgary doesn't even have passenger
trains!!! -
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/calgary/practical-information/transport/flights-and-getting-there/a/nar/7c25380a-0270-46e0-842c-917a0d9f0d9f/361219
(Halifax wasn't much better but appears to at least have trains
including a direct sleeper to Montreal; Niagara Falls was easily the
best of the three submissions in that regard, at least based on just
looking at OSM).

Personally I think this indicates the current selection process is
significantly flawed - there aren't many places that could have hosted a
FOSS4G and been less sustainably located. While Calgary has some great
sustainability stuff planned, the fact that >90-95% of everyone who
doesn't live in Calgary is going to be flying in is a huge fail and will
do far more harm than can possibly be offset by all the good stuff they do.
For future bids, I'd suggest at the very least, __requiring__ access to
the national train network. Yes this means FOSS4G won't ever go to
Hawaii but that's a small sacrifice to make. When not even the regional
"locals" can get there by sustainable travel, you know you have a problem.

==============

Offsetting
Reduction is definitely better than offsetting, but using the two in
combination is best of all.
The above-linked terrapass article has some thoughts on CO2 offsetting
in the conference price.

It's too late for these two conferences to include it fully (something
to consider for 2021 bids), but there are two other options, especially
still time for Calgary.
"Opt-Out" - include a offsetting price as a default add-on and let folks
unselect it. Apparently this leads to about 15-20% of folks offsetting,
which is a start.
"Opt-in" add-on (off by default), but only gets 1-2% uptake.

Quite a few conferences seem to have carbon-offsetting as part of their
plan:
-
https://sites.google.com/site/birdscaribbeanconference2019/carbon-offset-program
- http://www.wcmb2018.org/carbon-offset.html

These folks have clearly thought the entire selection process out in
regards to sustainability - there may be notions there for FOSS4G:
http://environmental-studies.org/?p=85

As to where to go to offset the carbon - there are lots of organisations
that do this; it depends what the conference LOC wants to support.

Cheers,
Jonathan