Appealing to OSGEO for support funding OSGEO4W

Appealing to OSGEO for support funding OSGEO4W

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Folks

The current situation seems a little broken at the moment: QGIS (and our intrepid windows packaging guru) drives the process of maintaining OSGEO4W. When we want to allocate funds to support this work we are essentially doing it for all of OSGEO. That seems like an inverted arrangement and I was wondering if we shouldn’t appeal to OSGEO to create a fund / annual budget allowance to support this (either directly or by providing funds to QGIS.org which can then pass those on to packaging devs as appropriate). What do others think about this? Paolo it would be great if you could approach them about it if others agree.

I’m feeling very bad that at the moment we put a lot of pressure on a few individuals, everybody is happy to complain about things and they are really doing amazing work in trying circumstances. Funding their work would allow them to spend larger tranches of time on it when needed and af nothing else, at least make them feel acknowledged financially for their blood, sweat and tears (hopefully not too many of the former and latter)!

Regards

Tim

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: Appealing to OSGEO for support funding OSGEO4W

pcav
Hi Tim,

Il 24/11/19 21:58, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Hi Folks
>
> The current situation seems a little broken at the moment: QGIS (and our
> intrepid windows packaging guru) drives the process of maintaining
> OSGEO4W. When we want to allocate funds to support this work we are
> essentially doing it for all of OSGEO. That seems like an inverted
> arrangement and I was wondering if we shouldn’t appeal to OSGEO to
> create a fund / annual budget allowance to support this (either directly
> or by providing funds to QGIS.org <http://QGIS.org> which can then pass
> those on to packaging devs as appropriate). What do others think about
> this? Paolo it would be great if you could approach them about it if
> others agree.

I totally agreed with you. I tried several times, years back, to talk to
Osgeo about this, and I got no positive reply. Hopefully things have
changed now, I'll try again.

> I’m feeling very bad that at the moment we put a lot of pressure on a
> few individuals, everybody is happy to complain about things and they
> are really doing amazing work in trying circumstances. Funding their
> work would allow them to spend larger tranches of time on it when needed
> and af nothing else, at least make them feel acknowledged financially
> for their blood, sweat and tears (hopefully not too many of the former
> and latter)!

I couldn't agree more.
Let me do it and I'll report back to PSC.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Appealing to OSGEO for support funding OSGEO4W

Saber Razmjooei
Hi,

In addition to funding, I think it will be ideal to have a closer collaboration with other OSGeo applications that QGIS is heavily reliant on: e.g. GRASS, SAGA (not sure if it is OSGeo member), gdal, proj (Even is doing a great job to bridge the gap for gdal/proj). For example, some of the current issues we are having with the current state of affairs is due to a different timing of adoption of GRASS to the common dependencies with QGIS (e.g. python, gdal, proj).

It would be great to have a discussion with other OSGeo applications (which are used heavily in QGIS) to:
- Plan a better release road map
- Identify any help (financial, resources)

I suggest inviting representatives/lead developers/PSC members of those application to QGIS PSC meetings every now and then to have an update.

Kind regards
Saber

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 07:59, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tim,

Il 24/11/19 21:58, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> Hi Folks
>
> The current situation seems a little broken at the moment: QGIS (and our
> intrepid windows packaging guru) drives the process of maintaining
> OSGEO4W. When we want to allocate funds to support this work we are
> essentially doing it for all of OSGEO. That seems like an inverted
> arrangement and I was wondering if we shouldn’t appeal to OSGEO to
> create a fund / annual budget allowance to support this (either directly
> or by providing funds to QGIS.org <http://QGIS.org> which can then pass
> those on to packaging devs as appropriate). What do others think about
> this? Paolo it would be great if you could approach them about it if
> others agree.

I totally agreed with you. I tried several times, years back, to talk to
Osgeo about this, and I got no positive reply. Hopefully things have
changed now, I'll try again.

> I’m feeling very bad that at the moment we put a lot of pressure on a
> few individuals, everybody is happy to complain about things and they
> are really doing amazing work in trying circumstances. Funding their
> work would allow them to spend larger tranches of time on it when needed
> and af nothing else, at least make them feel acknowledged financially
> for their blood, sweat and tears (hopefully not too many of the former
> and latter)!

I couldn't agree more.
Let me do it and I'll report back to PSC.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Appealing to OSGEO for support funding OSGEO4W

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Tim,

To me it would make sense if OSGeo takes a more active role in packaging OSGeo software for Windows. It could be funding, coordination, testing infrastructure, etc.

Also having someone helping Jürgen would be great (if Jürgen wants that).

So yes - I agree that we should talk to OSGeo about this.

Thanks,

Andreas

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: Appealing to OSGEO for support funding OSGEO4W

Régis Haubourg -2
Hi,

+1 for asking OSGEO some support here. I second everything that has been
said earlier. Kudos to Jurgen and all those spending so much hours to
keep our infrastructure up and working.

unfortunately, Hugo and Julien here are willing to help, but we have no
availability before end of january.

Once we are clear on the solution, we should quickly communicate on the
LTR status and the possible strategies for all the user and GIS
administrators.

That will be a very good test of the welcome page news panel :)

Regards,

Régis