Anyone know of any attempts at replicating a (ESRI) REST API as a service?

Anyone know of any attempts at replicating a (ESRI) REST API as a service?

blammo
Thinking interoperability stuff.

Thanks

bobb

Try a thing you haven’t done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And a third time, to figure out whether you like it or not.
—Virgil Garnett Thomson

Re: Anyone know of any attempts at replicating a (ESRI) REST API as a service?

Tom Kralidis
bobb: I know from an OGC feature perspective there is work going on for WFS 3 [1][2]
which is a _clean break_ from OGC's past and moving towards OpenAPI, REST JSON and the like.

Having said this, it would important to discuss these changes in the context of future
development of MapServer given the changes will affect the architecture of how MapServer
WFS (and likely additional OGC standards moving forward) is configured and deployed.

Cheers

..Tom

[1] https://github.com/opengeospatial/WFS_FES
[2] https://medium.com/@cholmes/wfs-3-0-get-excited-yes-8e904fdbcc0
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:

> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 16:47:18 +0000
> From: "Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)" <[hidden email]>
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [mapserver-dev] Anyone know of any attempts at replicating a (ESRI)
>     REST API as a service?
>
> Thinking interoperability stuff.
>

> Thanks
>
> bobb
>

> Try a thing you haven’t done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And a third time, to figure out whether you like it or not.
> —Virgil Garnett Thomson

Re: Anyone know of any attempts at replicating a (ESRI) REST API as a service?

Lime, Steve D (MNIT)

I know there were attempts a long time ago – perhaps version 5’ish. Might be able to find them in the old mailing list archives. I always wondered about just using mod_rewrite for such a thing.

Try a thing you haven’t done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And a third time, to figure out whether you like it or not.

—Virgil Garnett Thomson

Re: Anyone know of any attempts at replicating a (ESRI) REST API as a service?

blammo
All,

I’m really after the idea of an ESRI server being able to read it’s own type of formatted service (from an OPEN server software stack).  They are supposed to be able to read each others services right now.  We’ve had the ability to read the REST services for a while now.  The REST stuff has seemed to settle out as the most robust way to pull data from.  I would like to be able to go the other way and be able to offer up in the same way.

I’m seeing more and more commercial software extenders going the route of using the REST API approach to integration.  So it’s seems like a logical thing to research for mimicking.

Just thinking out loud on this right now.

bobb

I know there were attempts a long time ago – perhaps version 5’ish. Might be able to find them in the old mailing list archives. I always wondered about just using mod_rewrite for such a thing.

Try a thing you haven’t done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And a third time, to figure out whether you like it or not.
—Virgil Garnett Thomson

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
- Bjarne Stroustrup