Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

12

Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Alexandre Neto
Hello all,

QGIS 3 is getting lots of love, and we are seeing new features being added, some legacy code being clean up, and so on. We are all aware that this will break the 2.x API, but now it's the time for it.

So I wondered if this is not the perfect time to think about some UI/UX changes as well, as it will lead to more work in translation and Documentation. Could we do a list of UI/UX stuff that we could improve?

I can think of a few things:

Consistency
 - "search", "select" and "browse" for browsing files;
- "Add saved file to map", "Load into canvas when finished", "Open output file after running algorithm";
- there is more of these for sure;

Help and Documentation
- Most of our help buttons lead to nowhere, we already talked about pointing them to the User's Manual online (although we would need a solution for working with it offline and in different languages)

Defaults
- Should default selection color not be opaque?
- Showing only selected features vertexes by default?
- Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default (I think there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see gets very confused when they see a completely empty page.

Alexandre Neto
--
Alexandre Neto

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

pcav
Hi Alexandre,
thanks for raising this, much appreciated.

Il 25/11/2016 12:22, Alexandre Neto ha scritto:

> So I wondered if this is not the perfect time to think about some UI/UX
> changes as well, as it will lead to more work in translation and
> Documentation. Could we do a list of UI/UX stuff that we could improve?

agreed

> *Consistency*
>  - "search", "select" and "browse" for browsing files;
> - "Add saved file to map", "Load into canvas when finished", "Open
> output file after running algorithm";
> - there is more of these for sure;

agreed. the point is finding all of them

> *Help and Documentation*
> - Most of our help buttons lead to nowhere, we already talked about
> pointing them to the User's Manual online (although we would need a
> solution for working with it offline and in different languages)

agreed - there has been lots of discussion about this, time is ripe to
implement a solution

> *Defaults*
> - Should default selection color not be opaque?

+1

> - Showing only selected features vertexes by default?

-0

> - Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default (I
> think there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see
> gets very confused when they see a completely empty page.

++1

Thanks again.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 25-11-16 12:27, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
> thanks for raising this, much appreciated.

Yep, also from me: let's make QGIS the Desktop gis with the best UIX of
all. Now is the time indeed!

almost no traffic, and IF there was, we often needed input from the dev
list so everybody started cross-posting anyway. So we decided to remove
the ux list.

Which brings me to the point: we need devs/resources to do such things
too. Also for me it is too easy to rethink stuff, but not able to do it
myself it does not happen by itself...

> Il 25/11/2016 12:22, Alexandre Neto ha scritto:
>
>> So I wondered if this is not the perfect time to think about some UI/UX
>> changes as well, as it will lead to more work in translation and
>> Documentation. Could we do a list of UI/UX stuff that we could improve?

Yep please: I should know there is some wiki page with 'wishes and
changes' in QGIS3 but I do not have the url with me here (anybody?).

Would be good if somebody collects these idea's, and (given we can come
to some consensus...) maybe try to do a special 'UIX'-funding round
somewhere later in the QGIS-3 process (when api etc etc are settled)?

Coming to a consensus is maybe best done during a (big?) user or
developers meeting?

Regards,

Richard

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

pcav
Il 25/11/2016 12:37, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:

> Would be good if somebody collects these idea's, and (given we can come
> to some consensus...) maybe try to do a special 'UIX'-funding round
> somewhere later in the QGIS-3 process (when api etc etc are settled)?

agreed, a targeted funding could be started. I think most of the stuff
is rather independent from API changes, so probably the two initiatives
could go largely in parallel (March is very close, as other have pointed
out).
All the best, and thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

berndv.
I also wondered that there was no discussion about those topic for QGIS 3
so far, so I dare to throw into the collection a topic that a while ago
was raised somewhere:

Ribbon based menues/menue groups

This is definately a love/hate topic, but as I got used to the ribbons in
MS-Software, I really see them now as a way to partially reduce the
clutter, though I have no real idea how to intelligently group the stuff
(but I'm sure enough brilliant people around here could have good ideas)
And this would really give QGIS3 a maximum of a "fresh" look.

Cheers
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang
Siedlerstraße 2

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

pcav
Il 25/11/2016 13:01, Bernd Vogelgesang ha scritto:

> I also wondered that there was no discussion about those topic for QGIS
> 3 so far, so I dare to throw into the collection a topic that a while
> ago was raised somewhere:
>
> Ribbon based menues/menue groups
>
> This is definately a love/hate topic, but as I got used to the ribbons
> in MS-Software, I really see them now as a way to partially reduce the
> clutter, though I have no real idea how to intelligently group the stuff
> (but I'm sure enough brilliant people around here could have good ideas)
> And this would really give QGIS3 a maximum of a "fresh" look.

Interesting. In case, better having it optional.
Thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Alexandre Neto
Hi Richard,

Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia sexta, 25/11/2016 às 11:37:

Which brings me to the point: we need devs/resources to do such things
too. Also for me it is too easy to rethink stuff, but not able to do it
myself it does not happen by itself...

Maybe I am over-simplifiyng things, but I think some of this issues are repetitive tasks that, once learned, even a non-developer could take care of. So maybe one needs just a gentle push from from one available developer, and then do the rest. I would love to help in some of these.

Alexandre Neto
--
Alexandre Neto

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Tom Chadwin
If Alexandre is right, I'd love to help as well, if I can.

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

pcav
Hi Alexandre,

Il 25/11/2016 15:07, Alexandre Neto ha scritto:

> Maybe I am over-simplifiyng things, but I think some of this issues are
> repetitive tasks that, once learned, even a non-developer could take
> care of. So maybe one needs just a gentle push from from one available
> developer, and then do the rest. I would love to help in some of these.

agreed, this kind of things fall somewhat in between the aims of a dev
and those of a normal user, and are easily overlooked.
all the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

On 25 Nov 2016, at 2:01 PM, Bernd Vogelgesang <[hidden email]> wrote:

I also wondered that there was no discussion about those topic for QGIS 3 so far, so I dare to throw into the collection a topic that a while ago was raised somewhere:

Ribbon based menues/menue groups

This is definately a love/hate topic, but as I got used to the ribbons in MS-Software, I really see them now as a way to partially reduce the clutter, though I have no real idea how to intelligently group the stuff (but I'm sure enough brilliant people around here could have good ideas)
And this would really give QGIS3 a maximum of a "fresh" look.

I thought I really disliked ribbons, but the ribbon interface that Marco and Sandro from Sourcepole demonstrated in Girona really appealed to me. I think if it is carefully done it could be nice. However I don't know it it makes sense for general use cases where users probably value screen real estate over big easy to click buttons. In Sourcepole's case they had a very well defined audience and specific activities they needed to perform I thought it made a lot of sense.

Regards

Tim

Cheers
Bernd

Am 25.11.2016, 12:44 Uhr, schrieb Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]>:

Il 25/11/2016 12:37, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:

Would be good if somebody collects these idea's, and (given we can come
to some consensus...) maybe try to do a special 'UIX'-funding round
somewhere later in the QGIS-3 process (when api etc etc are settled)?

agreed, a targeted funding could be started. I think most of the stuff
is rather independent from API changes, so probably the two initiatives
could go largely in parallel (March is very close, as other have pointed
out).
All the best, and thanks.

--
Bernd Vogelgesang
Siedlerstraße 2
91083 Baiersdorf/Igelsdorf
Tel: 09133-825374

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Anita Graser

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:40 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is definately a love/hate topic, but as I got used to the ribbons in MS-Software, I really see them now as a way to partially reduce the clutter, though I have no real idea how to intelligently group the stuff (but I'm sure enough brilliant people around here could have good ideas)
And this would really give QGIS3 a maximum of a "fresh" look.

I thought I really disliked ribbons, but the ribbon interface that Marco and Sandro from Sourcepole demonstrated in Girona really appealed to me. I think if it is carefully done it could be nice. However I don't know it it makes sense for general use cases where users probably value screen real estate over big easy to click buttons. In Sourcepole's case they had a very well defined audience and specific activities they needed to perform I thought it made a lot of sense.

​I also liked the ​customized UI by Sourcepole but Tim is right, they had to fit a really limited set of functionality.

Additonally, for example, the Powerpoint ribbon is as high as four rows of toolbars on my notebook. And the ribbons cannot be arrange vertically on the left or right side. This leaves very little map space, particularly on notebooks.​

​Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Nyall Dawson
On 25 November 2016 at 21:22, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> QGIS 3 is getting lots of love, and we are seeing new features being added,
> some legacy code being clean up, and so on. We are all aware that this will
> break the 2.x API, but now it's the time for it.
>
> So I wondered if this is not the perfect time to think about some UI/UX
> changes as well, as it will lead to more work in translation and
> Documentation. Could we do a list of UI/UX stuff that we could improve?
>
> I can think of a few things:
>
> Consistency
>  - "search", "select" and "browse" for browsing files;
> - "Add saved file to map", "Load into canvas when finished", "Open output
> file after running algorithm";
> - there is more of these for sure;

I love it!

Stuff like this is a great jumping in point where anyone can get
involved. It's just a matter of trawling through all the dialogs and
collating a list of strings which need changing. If that was done then
someone with commit rights could fix these in a couple of minutes. The
hard bit (and the bit where ANYONE can help) is making the list in the
first place.

Some more suggestions (which again, anyone could help with identifying):

- replacing "non standard" icons. We still have some inconsitently
used icons (such as the expression builder icon) used throughout qgis.
- dialogs which violate hig conventions:
    - use of ":" at the end of strings
    - bad tab order
    - group boxes with just one widget
- bad/inconsistent capitalisation in strings, dialog titles, and tooltips
- widgets without tooltips (or non helpful tooltips)

These are also issues for plugins, so collating lists and opening bugs
against plugins would also help.

> Help and Documentation
> - Most of our help buttons lead to nowhere, we already talked about pointing
> them to the User's Manual online (although we would need a solution for
> working with it offline and in different languages)
>
> Defaults
> - Should default selection color not be opaque?
> - Showing only selected features vertexes by default?
+1

> - Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default (I think
> there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see gets very
> confused when they see a completely empty page.

Depends how it's done. I don't think it should always open with a
template, but including some nice templates with qgis would be a good
start.

Another idea I'd love to see for 3.0 is switching the main ui to using
monochrome "symbolic" icons. I think this could really refresh the
interface and avoid the ui from taking attention away for the content
(ie, the pretty map you're making). I tried making a script to auto
convert the icons as a test.... and ended up with a horrendous result
which had to be burned in a furnace and scattered on the four winds.

Nyall

On 26 November 2016 at 08:09, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 November 2016 at 21:22, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> QGIS 3 is getting lots of love, and we are seeing new features being added,
>> some legacy code being clean up, and so on. We are all aware that this will
>> break the 2.x API, but now it's the time for it.
>>
>> So I wondered if this is not the perfect time to think about some UI/UX
>> changes as well, as it will lead to more work in translation and
>> Documentation. Could we do a list of UI/UX stuff that we could improve?
>>
>> I can think of a few things:
>>
>> Consistency
>>  - "search", "select" and "browse" for browsing files;
>> - "Add saved file to map", "Load into canvas when finished", "Open output
>> file after running algorithm";
>> - there is more of these for sure;
>
> I love it!
>
> Stuff like this is a great jumping in point where anyone can get
> involved. It's just a matter of trawling through all the dialogs and
> collating a list of strings which need changing. If that was done then
> someone with commit rights could fix these in a couple of minutes. The
> hard bit (and the bit where ANYONE can help) is making the list in the
> first place.
>
> Some more suggestions (which again, anyone could help with identifying):
>
> - replacing "non standard" icons. We still have some inconsitently
> used icons (such as the expression builder icon) used throughout qgis.
> - dialogs which violate hig conventions:
>     - use of ":" at the end of strings
>     - bad tab order
>     - group boxes with just one widget
> - bad/inconsistent capitalisation in strings, dialog titles, and tooltips
> - widgets without tooltips (or non helpful tooltips)

Another one I forgot to add (a bit unrelated):

- lots of the processing algorithms don't correctly handle z/m
geometries and the changes are often trivial to allow them to. I'd
love to see someone generate a list (based off master) of all the
algorithms which currently don't maintain z and m values and which
should.

Nyall

> These are also issues for plugins, so collating lists and opening bugs
> against plugins would also help.
>

>> Help and Documentation
>> - Most of our help buttons lead to nowhere, we already talked about pointing
>> them to the User's Manual online (although we would need a solution for
>> working with it offline and in different languages)
>>
>> Defaults
>> - Should default selection color not be opaque?
>> - Showing only selected features vertexes by default?
> +1
>
>> - Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default (I think
>> there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see gets very
>> confused when they see a completely empty page.
>
> Depends how it's done. I don't think it should always open with a
> template, but including some nice templates with qgis would be a good
> start.
>

> Another idea I'd love to see for 3.0 is switching the main ui to using
> monochrome "symbolic" icons. I think this could really refresh the
> interface and avoid the ui from taking attention away for the content
> (ie, the pretty map you're making). I tried making a script to auto
> convert the icons as a test.... and ended up with a horrendous result
> which had to be burned in a furnace and scattered on the four winds.
>
> Nyall
>

>> Alexandre Neto
>> --
>> Alexandre Neto

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

Another one I forgot to add (a bit unrelated):

- lots of the processing algorithms don't correctly handle z/m
geometries and the changes are often trivial to allow them to. I'd
love to see someone generate a list (based off master) of all the
algorithms which currently don't maintain z and m values and which
should.

And another big one would be to make QGIS expressions the standard way for entering expressions (thinking about raster calculator and layer filter expression dialog for example). Maybe the expression dialog should have a 'SQL' and "QGIS' mode so that it can use the same UI but constrain expressions to valid SQL if the recipient of the expression requires valid SQL.

Regards

Tim

Nyall

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Alexandre Neto
Hi Nyall! Thank you for your reply.

A sex, 25/11/2016, 22:09, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> escreveu:

I love it!

Stuff like this is a great jumping in point where anyone can get
involved. It's just a matter of trawling through all the dialogs and
collating a list of strings which need changing. If that was done then
someone with commit rights could fix these in a couple of minutes. The
hard bit (and the bit where ANYONE can help) is making the list in the
first place.

I will gladly work on that list, but I was hoping that, under the idea of "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime", with a gentle push from a developer, I could directly fix some of the problems.

Some more suggestions (which again, anyone could help with identifying):

- replacing "non standard" icons. We still have some inconsitently
used icons (such as the expression builder icon) used throughout qgis.
- dialogs which violate hig conventions:
    - use of ":" at the end of strings
    - bad tab order
    - group boxes with just one widget
- bad/inconsistent capitalisation in strings, dialog titles, and tooltips
- widgets without tooltips (or non helpful tooltips)

Maybe I will start by gathering a list of issues to search for, before I start looking into each dialog. Those above are all good candidates.

These are also issues for plugins, so collating lists and opening bugs
against plugins would also help.

> Help and Documentation
> - Most of our help buttons lead to nowhere, we already talked about pointing
> them to the User's Manual online (although we would need a solution for
> working with it offline and in different languages)
>
> Defaults
> - Should default selection color not be opaque?
> - Showing only selected features vertexes by default?
+1

> - Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default (I think
> there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see gets very
> confused when they see a completely empty page.

Depends how it's done. I don't think it should always open with a
template, but including some nice templates with qgis would be a good
start.

We could have a few options when creating a new print composition keeping an "empty" option on the top.
- Empty ()
- A4 landscape
- A4 portrait
- plus list of recent user's templates

Another idea I'd love to see for 3.0 is switching the main ui to using
monochrome "symbolic" icons. I think this could really refresh the
interface and avoid the ui from taking attention away for the content
(ie, the pretty map you're making). I tried making a script to auto
convert the icons as a test.... and ended up with a horrendous result
which had to be burned in a furnace and scattered on the four winds.

It would be nice if we could get some graphic designer to make them distinctive enough.

Also, it would be nice if special care is taken so that they work with the the dark theme.

Nyall

Alex Neto
--
Alexandre Neto

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

pcav
Il 28/11/2016 12:59, Alexandre Neto ha scritto:

> We could have a few options when creating a new print composition
> keeping an "empty" option on the top.
> - Empty ()
> - A4 landscape
> - A4 portrait
> - plus list of recent user's templates

agreed, this will make life easier for many.
thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi Alex

On 11/28/2016 12:59 PM, Alexandre Neto wrote:

> Hi Nyall! Thank you for your reply.
>
> A sex, 25/11/2016, 22:09, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> escreveu:
>

>     I love it!
>
>     Stuff like this is a great jumping in point where anyone can get
>     involved. It's just a matter of trawling through all the dialogs and
>     collating a list of strings which need changing. If that was done then
>     someone with commit rights could fix these in a couple of minutes. The
>     hard bit (and the bit where ANYONE can help) is making the list in the
>     first place.
>

> I will gladly work on that list, but I was hoping that, under the idea
> of "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish
> and you feed him for a lifetime", with a gentle push from a developer, I
> could directly fix some of the problems.

Pick your choice, try using Qt Designer and a text editor and full text
search to fix whatever you want. If you run into walls, ping me (or
someone else) here or on gitter. I'll be happy to provide you with trawl
nets if possible ;)

>     > - Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default
>     (I think
>     > there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see
>     gets very
>     > confused when they see a completely empty page.
>
>     Depends how it's done. I don't think it should always open with a
>     template, but including some nice templates with qgis would be a good
>     start.
>

> We could have a few options when creating a new print composition
> keeping an "empty" option on the top.
> - Empty ()
> - A4 landscape
> - A4 portrait
> - plus list of recent user's templates

Nice idea!

>     Another idea I'd love to see for 3.0 is switching the main ui to using
>     monochrome "symbolic" icons. I think this could really refresh the
>     interface and avoid the ui from taking attention away for the content
>     (ie, the pretty map you're making). I tried making a script to auto
>     convert the icons as a test.... and ended up with a horrendous result
>     which had to be burned in a furnace and scattered on the four winds.
>

> It would be nice if we could get some graphic designer to make them
> distinctive enough.

Any chance to ask your employer to jump in here? IIRC they also helped
with someone for the website redesign. And after the shiny charts in a
blog post from last week this could be a nice move to live up a bit
closer to the contribution share which this post pretended they hold in
QGIS ;P

Matthias

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

Nyall Dawson
On 28 November 2016 at 21:59, Alexandre Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nyall! Thank you for your reply.
>
> A sex, 25/11/2016, 22:09, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>>

>> I love it!
>>
>> Stuff like this is a great jumping in point where anyone can get
>> involved. It's just a matter of trawling through all the dialogs and
>> collating a list of strings which need changing. If that was done then
>> someone with commit rights could fix these in a couple of minutes. The
>> hard bit (and the bit where ANYONE can help) is making the list in the
>> first place.
>

> I will gladly work on that list, but I was hoping that, under the idea of
> "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you
> feed him for a lifetime", with a gentle push from a developer, I could
> directly fix some of the problems.

Even better! Just ping if you need assistance :)

Nyall

>> Some more suggestions (which again, anyone could help with identifying):
>>
>> - replacing "non standard" icons. We still have some inconsitently
>> used icons (such as the expression builder icon) used throughout qgis.
>> - dialogs which violate hig conventions:
>>     - use of ":" at the end of strings
>>     - bad tab order
>>     - group boxes with just one widget
>> - bad/inconsistent capitalisation in strings, dialog titles, and tooltips
>> - widgets without tooltips (or non helpful tooltips)
>

> Maybe I will start by gathering a list of issues to search for, before I
> start looking into each dialog. Those above are all good candidates.
>

>> These are also issues for plugins, so collating lists and opening bugs
>> against plugins would also help.
>>

>> > Help and Documentation
>> > - Most of our help buttons lead to nowhere, we already talked about
>> > pointing
>> > them to the User's Manual online (although we would need a solution for
>> > working with it offline and in different languages)
>> >
>> > Defaults
>> > - Should default selection color not be opaque?
>> > - Showing only selected features vertexes by default?
>> +1
>>
>> > - Map template, we could provide a very simple template as default (I
>> > think
>> > there was already some discussion about this); Most people I see gets
>> > very
>> > confused when they see a completely empty page.
>>
>> Depends how it's done. I don't think it should always open with a
>> template, but including some nice templates with qgis would be a good
>> start.
>

> We could have a few options when creating a new print composition keeping an
> "empty" option on the top.
> - Empty ()
> - A4 landscape
> - A4 portrait
> - plus list of recent user's templates
>

>> Another idea I'd love to see for 3.0 is switching the main ui to using
>> monochrome "symbolic" icons. I think this could really refresh the
>> interface and avoid the ui from taking attention away for the content
>> (ie, the pretty map you're making). I tried making a script to auto
>> convert the icons as a test.... and ended up with a horrendous result
>> which had to be burned in a furnace and scattered on the four winds.
>

> It would be nice if we could get some graphic designer to make them
> distinctive enough.
>
> Also, it would be nice if special care is taken so that they work with the
> the dark theme.
>

>> Nyall
>>

> Alex Neto
> --
> Alexandre Neto

Re: Any UI/UX plans for QGIS3?

olivier

Hi,

Yes it would really be awesome if the UI also got it's share of work. There were so many new features added to QGIS on every last version that some parts of the UI suffered and would really benefit from being rethought a bit more globally.

I would add this to the list:

- Consistency when creating layers. Currently each provider type has a slightly different ui. Also it's not possible to create certain type of layers from the ui (eg csv layers) even if they are now well supported.

- Go through all .ui files and make sure all elements are well aligned and have correct size policies. On small screens it happens to have windows that don't scroll correctly (so that you can't click on the OK button).

- The style/symbol dialog for vector layers got really complex. Quite a lot of features were added over time and the dialog is now pretty confuse. There is an old thread were we discussed it, I think a lot of the points still hold. The thread wes "Redesign vector layer style dialog - Was: Redesign stylemanager", I don't find it online though ?! This issue lists some of the points of the threads : https://hub.qgis.org/issues/7556

- We also already discussed that, but I find the difference between a layer and a datasource is not made clear enough in the UI. The most critical place where this confusion happen is the ability to modify columns of vector data from within the layer properties window. I think the distinction between these two concepts should be made more obvious in the UI : have places where you modify data representation (the layer properties window), and places where you modify actual data (the attribute manager).

Cheers,

Olivier

12