Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

Jürgen E. Fischer
QGIS is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System
that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows.

We are very pleased to announce the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'.

The new release contains a lot of new features, tweaks and enhancements.  The
most noticible improvement is probably the long awaited multithreaded
rendering, that lets QGIS leave a much more responsive impression.

This is second release following our new four month release schedule that is
meant to make new features and bugfixes available quicker and the development
and new releases more predictable.   This time the testing phase was especially
fruitful and was therefore extended by a week. Thanks to all the tester for
their time and good reports.

The source code and binaries for Windows, Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu are already
available via the large download link on our home page: http://qgis.org.  More
packages will follow as soon as the package maintainers finish their work.
Please revisit the page if your platform is not available yet.

A word of thanks to our contributors, donors and sponsors

QGIS is a largely volunteer driven project, and is the work of a dedicated team
of developers, documenters and supporters. We extend our thanks and gratitude
for the many, many hours people have contributed to make this release happen.
Many companies and organizations contribute back their improvements to QGIS and
fund development of new features when they use it as their platform, and we are
grateful for this and encourage others to do the same! We would also like to
thank our sponsors and donors for helping to promote our work through their
financial contributions. Our current sponsors are (QGIS Sponsorship is valid
for one year):

Gold Sponsor:
Asia Air Survey (http://www.asiaairsurvey.com/)

Silver Sponsor:
G.A.I.A. mbH (http://www.gaia-mbh.de/)
State of Vorarlberg (http://www.vorarlberg.at)

Bronze Sponsors:
ArguSoft GmbH & Co KG (http://argusoft.de)
Dr.-Ing Claas Leiner, http://www.eschenlaub.de
Molitec (http://www.molitec.it/)
OPENRUNNER, http://www.openrunner.com/

A current list of donors who have made financial contributions large and
small to the project can be seen here:
http://qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html#list-of-donors

If you would like to make a donation or sponsor our project, please visit
*http://qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html#sponsorship* . QGIS is Free
software and you are under no obligation to do so. Sponsoring QGIS helps us to
fund our six monthly developer meetings, maintain project infrastructure and
fund bug fixing efforts

Visual tour of the new release:
--------------------------------------

You can find a list of highlighted changes and new features listed on the
detailed release announcement available here:

*
http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/
*

Give us your feedback:
------------------------------

We welcome your feedback - please visit our issue tracker if you encounter
an issue with the new release:

http://hub.qgis.org/

Please consult the existing issues there before filing any new ones.

Happy QGISing!

Regards,

The QGIS Team!

--
Jürgen E. Fischer - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
Please do not email me off-list with technical support

IRC: jef on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

pcav
Thanks a lot Juergen for all the work.
I found the wording excellent.
All the best.

IRC: jef on #qgis at freenode.net

--
http://faunalia.eu/

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

Mathieu Pellerin

Congratulations to all involved, once again QGIS has leaped forward with a bunch of new features.

That said, the "test the release candidate" on qgis.org should be replaced by "enjoy the new version" :)

IRC: jef on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

Lene Fischer

Thanks for the new version. Now I have time to make new /update tutorials for my summer course in august.

Lene Fischer

Associate Professor

Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management

University of Copenhagen

MOB +45 40115084

SCIENCE_bomaerke_UK

IRC: jef on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

Régis Haubourg
Great !
thanks all!

I didn't find a link to the visual changelog on qgis.org. Could we add a direct link from homepage. BTW, there is a "what's new" banner, but it is redirecting to 2.0 doc..
Régis

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Régis,

On Sat, 28. Jun 2014 at 04:04:53 -0700, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> I didn't find a link to the visual changelog on qgis.org. Could we add a
> direct link from homepage. BTW, there is a "what's new" banner, but it is
> redirecting to 2.0 doc..

Richard meanwhile updated the image.   The the link to the visual changelog on
the "for users" page[1] point to the 2.4 visual changelog now and the link to
the tarball[2][3] was also fixed.

Jürgen

[1] http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/index.html
[2] http://qgis.org/download/qgis-latest.tar.bz2
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarball ;)

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

Régis Haubourg
Hi,

following users feedback (see [0]), we still seem to be not pushing enough changelog / what's new:

* it is not available from dowload page http://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html#

* from homepage (see [1]), the "check out new features" link in image still points today to 2.0 doc. A build trouble? Anyway, this is not directly visible to a user, since you have to wait for the banner to slide, or manually do the slide operation. A link just under the Download button would be good also.

[0] https://plus.google.com/113835514638933715428/posts/8HnxnbXFoV4
[1] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzatQbprJ-hjZFdIcm9ZbU9uUFE/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers,
Régis

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 30-06-14 11:04, Régis Haubourg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> following users feedback (see [0]), we still seem to be not pushing enough
> changelog / what's new:

> * it is not available from dowload page
> http://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html#
>
> * from homepage (see [1]), the "check out new features" link in image still
> points today to 2.0 doc. A build trouble? Anyway, this is not directly
> visible to a user, since you have to wait for the banner to slide, or
> manually do the slide operation. A link just under the Download button would
> be good also.
>
> [0] https://plus.google.com/113835514638933715428/posts/8HnxnbXFoV4
> [1]
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzatQbprJ-hjZFdIcm9ZbU9uUFE/edit?usp=sharing

We have (work in progress):
http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog24.html
where the links points to:
http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/

as it is work in progress, we have not brought it upfront...

Tim asked people to write 'items' for the changelog. As that is what it
is: a little application in which people can write an 'item' and add
some screendumps.

The QGIS website get's the feed from that changelog website and
incorporates it in the main website.

To all people wanting to have better "what's new in this version" I
would say: please invest some time in getting to know the way stuff
works and help make it better. We still do not have a marketing
department with people doing that for us :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.4 'Chugiak'

Nyall Dawson
On 30 June 2014 19:20, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tim asked people to write 'items' for the changelog. As that is what it
> is: a little application in which people can write an 'item' and add
> some screendumps.

On that note, Tim can you please add a 2.6 version to the changelog?
It will be much easier to keep this complete if we fill it out
immediately as features are added.

Cheers,
Nyall