Quantcast

Announcing the release of QGIS 2.2

Jürgen E. Fischer
QGIS is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System
that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows.

We are very pleased to announce the release of QGIS 2.2 'Valmiera'.  The
emphasis on this release has been very much on polish and performance - we have
added many new features, tweaks and enhancements to make the user interface
more consistent and professional looking (and hopefully easier to use). The
composer (used for creating print ready maps) has had a lot of work done to it
to make it a more viable platform for creating great cartographic outputs.

This is first release following our new four month release schedule that is
meant to make new features and bugfixes available quicker and the development
and new releases more predictable.

In order to streamline the release process, we only release the source code
today.  The binaries will be created in close succession by the individual
package maintainers.  The source code is and the binaries soon will be
available via the large download link on our home page: http://qgis.org

If there is not yet a binary package for your platform on the above page,
please check back regularly as packagers push out their work and the
download page will reflect the new packages.

A word of thanks to our contributors, donors and sponsors

QGIS is a largely volunteer driven project, and is the work of a dedicated team
of developers, documenters and supporters. We extend our thanks and gratitude
for the many, many hours people have contributed to make this release happen.
Many companies and organizations contribute back their improvements to QGIS and
fund development of new features when they use it as their platform, and we are
grateful for this and encourage others to do the same! We would also like to
thank our sponsors and donors for helping to promote our work through their
financial contributions. Our current sponsors are (QGIS Sponsorship is valid
for one year):

Gold Sponsor:
Asia Air Survey (http://www.asiaairsurvey.com/)

Silver Sponsor:
State of Vorarlberg (http://www.vorarlberg.at)
G.A.I.A. mbH (http://www.gaia-mbh.de/)

Bronze Sponsors:
ArguSoft GmbH & Co KG (http://argusoft.de)
Molitec (http://www.molitec.it/)

A current list of donors who have made financial contributions large and
small to the project can be seen here:

http://qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html#list-of-donors

If you would like to make a donation or sponsor our project, please visit
*http://qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html#sponsorship* . QGIS is
Free software and you are under no obligation to do so. Sponsoring QGIS helps
us to fund our six monthly developer meetings, maintain project infrastructure
and fund bug fixing efforts

Visual tour of the new release:
--------------------------------------

You can find a list of highlighted changes and new features listed on the
detailed release announcement available here:

*
http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/21/
*

Give us your feedback:
------------------------------

We welcome your feedback - please visit our issue tracker if you encounter
an issue with the new release:

http://hub.qgis.org/

Please consult the existing issues there before filing any new ones.

Happy QGISing!

Regards,

The QGIS Team!

--
Jürgen E. Fischer - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
Please do not email me off-list with technical support

IRC: jef on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.2

William Kyngesburye
OS X package will be a little delayed.  I am finally upgrading Macs at my job to Mt Lion, so I won't be supporting Snow Leopard, and I'm checking a few things in all my packages and my development environment.

On Feb 22, 2014, at 2:58 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

> QGIS is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System
> that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows.
>
> We are very pleased to announce the release of QGIS 2.2 'Valmiera'.  The
> emphasis on this release has been very much on polish and performance - we have
> added many new features, tweaks and enhancements to make the user interface
> more consistent and professional looking (and hopefully easier to use). The
> composer (used for creating print ready maps) has had a lot of work done to it
> to make it a more viable platform for creating great cartographic outputs.
>
> This is first release following our new four month release schedule that is
> meant to make new features and bugfixes available quicker and the development
> and new releases more predictable.
>
> In order to streamline the release process, we only release the source code
> today.  The binaries will be created in close succession by the individual
> package maintainers.  The source code is and the binaries soon will be
> available via the large download link on our home page: http://qgis.org
>
> If there is not yet a binary package for your platform on the above page,
> please check back regularly as packagers push out their work and the
> download page will reflect the new packages.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.2

Jesús-2
Will this package work on Mavericks? I'm still on Snow Leopard but this can
be one reason to jump to 10.9.1. Thanks.

El 22/02/14 17:26, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> OS X package will be a little delayed.  I am finally upgrading Macs at my job
> to Mt Lion, so I won't be supporting Snow Leopard, and I'm checking a few
> things in all my packages and my development environment.

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.2

William Kyngesburye
When I package it, it will run on Mavericks.  Note that 2.1 should also run on Mavericks.

On Feb 24, 2014, at 8:07 AM, Jesús wrote:

> Will this package work on Mavericks? I'm still on Snow Leopard but this can
> be one reason to jump to 10.9.1. Thanks.
>

> El 22/02/14 17:26, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> OS X package will be a little delayed.  I am finally upgrading Macs at my job
>> to Mt Lion, so I won't be supporting Snow Leopard, and I'm checking a few
>> things in all my packages and my development environment.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.2

terrier aurelie
ok,thanks!

Aurélie

Le Lundi 24 février 2014 15h36, William Kyngesburye <[hidden email]> a écrit :
When I package it, it will run on Mavericks.  Note that 2.1 should also run on Mavericks.

On Feb 24, 2014, at 8:07 AM, Jesús wrote:

> Will this package work on Mavericks? I'm still on Snow Leopard but this can
> be one reason to jump to 10.9.1. Thanks.
>

> El 22/02/14 17:26, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> OS X package will be a little delayed.  I am finally upgrading Macs at my job
>> to Mt Lion, so I won't be supporting Snow Leopard, and I'm checking a few
>> things in all my packages and my development environment.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.2

Dave Peterson
On 22 Feb 2014 at 17:26-0600, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am finally upgrading Macs at my job to Mt Lion, so I won't be supporting Snow Leopard,....

Sigh....  Guess I won't be upgrading for a while.  :-(
--
Dave Peterson

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.2

Lester Anderson
Hello,

When can we expect the standalone windows installer for 2.2 (32 or 64 bit) to be on the website? It is still on 2.0.1 there.

Also, have you fixed that annoying run-time error that happened on the 2.0.1 64 bit version when starting, but did not stop the program running?

Lester

On 25 February 2014 14:29, Dave Peterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 22 Feb 2014 at 17:26-0600, "William Kyngesburye" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am finally upgrading Macs at my job to Mt Lion, so I won't be supporting Snow Leopard,....

Sigh....  Guess I won't be upgrading for a while.  :-(
--
Dave Peterson

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 2.2

Minoru Akagi

> Also, have you fixed that annoying run-time error that happened on the 2.0.1
> 64 bit version when starting, but did not stop the program running?

If you tested the new version using OSGeo4W 64-bit installer and gave
feedback here, the packager would be able to release 2.2 binary at
ease. Let's try for stable release of your and our software!

Regards,
Minoru