Announcing the release of QGIS 0.9.0

Tim Sutton
It is our great pleasure to announce the immediate availability of
Quantum GIS (QGIS) Version 0.9.0. See below for press release:

Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a user friendly Open Source Geographic
Information System (GIS) that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and
Windows. QGIS supports vector, raster, and database formats. QGIS is
licensed under the GNU General Public License. QGIS lets you browse
and create map data on your computer. It supports many common spatial
data formats (e.g. ESRI ShapeFile, geotiff). QGIS supports plugins to
do things like display tracks from your GPS. QGIS is Open Source
software and its free of cost (download here). We welcome
contributions from our user community in the form of code
contributions, bug fixes, bug reports, contributed documentation,
advocacy and supporting other users on our mailing lists and forums.
Financial contributions  are also welcome. This release introduces
several new features including python support and many new GRASS
modules. The release also includes numerous bug fixes and stability
improvements. QGIS is available is source form, and as binary
executables for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux. All
versions can be obtained from our download page at
http://download.qgis.org . As an open source project, we provide
support for using QGIS via our mailing lists and bug tracker:

    * For general inquiries subscribe to our users mailing list at
    * For developer related inquiries subscribe to our separate
developers list at
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
    * If you think you have found a bug, please report it using our
bug tracker. When reporting bugs, please include some contact
information in case we need help with replicating your issue at
https://svn.qgis.org/trac

Major changes in this release are:

* Python bindings - This is the major focus of this release it is now
possible to create plugins using python. It is also possible to create
GIS enabled applications written in python that use the QGIS
libraries.
* Removed automake build system - QGIS now needs CMake for compilation.
* Many new GRASS tools added (with thanks to http://faunalia.it/)
* Map Composer updates
* Crash fix for 2.5D shapefiles
* The QGIS libraries have been refactored and better organised.
* Improvements to the GeoReferencer

QGIS is a completely volunteer driven project, and is the work of a
dedicated team of developers, documenters and supporters. We extend
our thanks and gratitude for the  many, many hours people have
contributed to make this release happen.

Best regards

--
Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 0.9.0

Richard Duivenvoorde

Great! Thanks for this work!
Downloaded and installed (on windows): python plugins working smoothly
even on windows now ;-) !
Richard

Tim Sutton wrote:

> It is our great pleasure to announce the immediate availability of
> Quantum GIS (QGIS) Version 0.9.0. See below for press release:
>
> Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a user friendly Open Source Geographic
> Information System (GIS) that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and
> Windows. QGIS supports vector, raster, and database formats. QGIS is
> licensed under the GNU General Public License. QGIS lets you browse
> and create map data on your computer. It supports many common spatial
> data formats (e.g. ESRI ShapeFile, geotiff). QGIS supports plugins to
> do things like display tracks from your GPS. QGIS is Open Source
> software and its free of cost (download here). We welcome
> contributions from our user community in the form of code
> contributions, bug fixes, bug reports, contributed documentation,
> advocacy and supporting other users on our mailing lists and forums.
> Financial contributions  are also welcome. This release introduces
> several new features including python support and many new GRASS
> modules. The release also includes numerous bug fixes and stability
> improvements. QGIS is available is source form, and as binary
> executables for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux. All
> versions can be obtained from our download page at
> http://download.qgis.org . As an open source project, we provide
> support for using QGIS via our mailing lists and bug tracker:
>
>     * For general inquiries subscribe to our users mailing list at
>     * For developer related inquiries subscribe to our separate
> developers list at
>     * If you think you have found a bug, please report it using our
> bug tracker. When reporting bugs, please include some contact
> information in case we need help with replicating your issue at
> https://svn.qgis.org/trac
>
> Major changes in this release are:
>
> * Python bindings - This is the major focus of this release it is now
> possible to create plugins using python. It is also possible to create
> GIS enabled applications written in python that use the QGIS
> libraries.
> * Removed automake build system - QGIS now needs CMake for compilation.
> * Many new GRASS tools added (with thanks to http://faunalia.it/)
> * Map Composer updates
> * Crash fix for 2.5D shapefiles
> * The QGIS libraries have been refactored and better organised.
> * Improvements to the GeoReferencer
>
> QGIS is a completely volunteer driven project, and is the work of a
> dedicated team of developers, documenters and supporters. We extend
> our thanks and gratitude for the  many, many hours people have
> contributed to make this release happen.
>
> Best regards

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 0.9.0

Tim Sutton
Hi Richard

Great to get your feedback! Tisham has done a great job getting the
python stuff to work automagically under windows.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing the release of QGIS 0.9.0

Micha Silver
Tim Sutton wrote:

> It is our great pleasure to announce the immediate availability of
> Quantum GIS (QGIS) Version 0.9.0. See below for press release:

Many thanks.  Each new version is a pleasure as the feature set grows
and stability improves.

In some early work I noticed on windows, displaying maps from a WMS
server (mapserver 4.10.2) that the map image doesn't appear until I "do
something". I have to open some other dialog box, then when I close it,
the map appears. If I pan or zoom, I see the map layers *while panning*,
but as soon I  release the mouse the map layers (as well as north arrow
and other decorations) disappear. If I click on the "Render" button to
disable rendering, then click again to re-enable, the map appears. But
again, any zooming or panning causes it to disappear. I've tried palying
with the Rendering options "Update display after reading 1 feature", but
that didn't change anything.

On an Ubuntu machine with the debian binary (Thanks to Jachym Cepicky!),
pulling layers from the same WMS server, I don't see this behavior at all.

BTW, displaying layers using the WFS plugin from the same server works
well on both systems.

Regards,
Micha

--
Micha Silver
Arava Development Co, Sapir, Israel

Re: WMS Rendering Problems

Tom Elwertowski
Micha Silver wrote:

> In some early work I noticed on windows, displaying maps from a WMS
> server (mapserver 4.10.2) that the map image doesn't appear until I "do
> something". I have to open some other dialog box, then when I close it,
> the map appears. If I pan or zoom, I see the map layers *while panning*,
> but as soon I  release the mouse the map layers (as well as north arrow
> and other decorations) disappear. If I click on the "Render" button to
> disable rendering, then click again to re-enable, the map appears. But
> again, any zooming or panning causes it to disappear. I've tried palying
> with the Rendering options "Update display after reading 1 feature", but
> that didn't change anything.

This looks like a bug which was reported for Mac OS X a while ago. I
have a patch which is essentially complete but I don't have the
capability to build QGIS for Windows. If you or someone else can do a
source build, I would be interested in finding out if the patch fixes
your problem.

The patch currently has two deficiencies which probably don't affect you:
1.) errors are not reported until one or two refreshes later.
2.) the indirection code for layers which return urls instead of bitmaps
has not been tested.

The refresh problem arises from the fact that the WMS layer is not
requested until after the redraw cycle begins. Om a Mac (and probbably
Windows too, based upon your observations), drawing cannot be
interrupted to do something else -- either you already possess the
bitmap or you don't start drawing. The reason you don't see the image
until some future action is that the WMS image don't show up until after
the refresh cycle that requested it has competed.

> On an Ubuntu machine with the debian binary (Thanks to Jachym Cepicky!),
> pulling layers from the same WMS server, I don't see this behavior at all.

The reason it works using Ubuntu is that X11 was designed as a
client/server display system. Since the display doesn't need to be on
the same machine as the application, X11 is most likely not confounded
by network requests inside draw events.

The fix I made is to remove the synchronous network request inside the
draw event with async requests which must be completed before starting
to draw. This also speeds things up for multiple WMS layers since all
layers are requested in parallel rather than serially.

> BTW, displaying layers using the WFS plugin from the same server works
> well on both systems.

The WFS plugin doesn't make network requests inside draw events so the
problem doesn't happen for WFS.

One further request from readers: does anyone know of a WMS server that
returns an indirect pointer rather then a bitmap? The main reason I
haven't submitted this patch previously is that I haven't been able to
test that situation. Alternatively, I could add a message "Indirect
retrieval temporarily disabled: send a url if you would like this
feature back."

Tom

Re: [Qgis-developer] WMS Rendering Problems

Jürgen E. Fischer-2
Hi Tom,

On Tue, 30. Oct 2007 at 14:49:30 -0400, Tom Elwertowski wrote:
> This looks like a bug which was reported for Mac OS X a while ago. I
> have a patch which is essentially complete but I don't have the
> capability to build QGIS for Windows. If you or someone else can do a
> source build, I would be interested in finding out if the patch fixes
> your problem.

I'd like to test it.  Where's the patch?

> The fix I made is to remove the synchronous network request inside the
> draw event with async requests which must be completed before starting
> to draw. This also speeds things up for multiple WMS layers since all
> layers are requested in parallel rather than serially.

I did basically the same today, but I was still looking for a clean way
trigger a refresh after the WMS request completes inside the provider.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-0
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden

Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> I'd like to test it.  Where's the patch?

Here's a patch for the current (r3707) trunk:
http://www.compassowl.com/qgis_wms_async.diff

Tom

Re: [Qgis-developer] WMS Rendering Problems

Tim Sutton
Hi

Was anyone able to test Toms patch? Can we go ahead and apply it to
trunk? We would like to do a follow up release of QGIS 0.9.1 in the
next few days - in particular to provide updated binaries to address
some GRASS issues Martin fixed, and to provide a Toms WMS fix.

Best regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: WMS Rendering Problems

yvesm

> Micha Silver wrote:
>> In some early work I noticed on windows, displaying maps from a WMS
>> server (mapserver 4.10.2) that the map image doesn't appear until I "do
>> something". I have to open some other dialog box, then when I close it,
>> the map appears. If I pan or zoom, I see the map layers *while panning*,
>> but as soon I  release the mouse the map layers (as well as north arrow
>> and other decorations) disappear. If I click on the "Render" button to
>> disable rendering, then click again to re-enable, the map appears. But
>> again, any zooming or panning causes it to disappear. I've tried palying
>> with the Rendering options "Update display after reading 1 feature", but
>> that didn't change anything.

Observed here too.  I would add that on some occasions the display acts
as if the image was rubbered to the current bbox.  Trying to pan shows
the image jerks and comes back at its original position.  Same for
zooming.  One can see the little bottom left red box changing size, but
there is no effect on the display.  Ticking on/off layers does nothing
either.  It's as though the display window showed a screen capture output.

Ouput from the console (each groups of 4 consecutive warnings associated
with an action I tried ?) :

Warning: Object::connect: No such signal QgsRasterLayer::selectionChanged()
Warning: Object::connect: No such signal QgsRasterLayer::wasModified(bool)
Warning: Object::connect: No such signal QgsRasterLayer::selectionChanged()
Warning: Object::disconnect: No such signal
QgsRasterLayer::selectionChanged()
Warning: Object::connect: No such signal QgsRasterLayer::selectionChanged()
SpatialRefSys/ProjectSRSProj4String: +proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84
+datum=WGS84 +no
_defs
SpatialRefSys/ProjectSRSProj4String: +proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84
+datum=WGS84 +no
_defs
Warning: QPaintEngine::setSystemClip: Should not be changed while engine
is acti
ve
Warning: QPaintEngine::setSystemClip: Should not be changed while engine
is acti
ve
Warning: QPaintEngine::setSystemRect: Should not be changed while engine
is acti
ve
Warning: QPaintEngine::setSystemClip: Should not be changed while engine
is acti
ve
Warning:
http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMa
p&BBOX=-72.090774,45.298988,-71.820593,45.506598&SRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=938&HEIGHT=
720&LAYERS=global_mosaic&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=TRUE
Warning: QPainter::restore: Painter not active
Warning: QPainter::save: Painter not active
Warning: QPainter::setWorldTransform: Painter not active
Warning: QPainter::restore: Painter not active
Warning: QPainter::save: Painter not active
Warning: QPainter::setWorldTransform: Painter not active
Warning: QPainter::restore: Painter not active
Warning: QPainter::save: Painter not active
Warning: QPainter::restore: Painter not active
Warning: QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted
Warning: QPaintEngine::setSystemClip: Should not be changed while engine
is active
Warning: QPaintEngine::setSystemClip: Should not be changed while engine
is active
Warning: QPaintEngine::setSystemRect: Should not be changed while engine
is active
Warning: QPaintEngine::setSystemClip: Should not be changed while engine
is active
Warning:
http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMa
p&BBOX=-72.093081,45.301584,-71.822900,45.509193&SRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=938&HEIGHT=
[...]
p&BBOX=-72.002000,45.380591,-71.934454,45.432493&SRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=937&HEIGHT=
721&LAYERS=global_mosaic&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=TRUE
[...]
p&BBOX=-72.002072,45.380951,-71.934526,45.432853&SRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=937&HEIGHT=
[...]
p&BBOX=-72.035844,45.355000,-71.900754,45.458805&SRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=938&HEIGHT=
[...]
p&BBOX=-72.001351,45.380807,-71.933805,45.432709&SRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=937&HEIGHT=
[...]
http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/mswms_gmap?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1
&REQUEST=GetMap&BBOX=-72.001351,45.380807,-71.933805,45.432709&SRS=EPSG:4326&WID
TH=937&HEIGHT=721&LAYERS=road&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=TRUE
[...]
p&BBOX=-72.001135,45.380591,-71.933589,45.432493&SRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=937&HEIGHT=
721&LAYERS=global_mosaic&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=TRUE
Warning:
http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/mswms_gmap?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1
&REQUEST=GetMap&BBOX=-72.001135,45.380591,-71.933589,45.432493&SRS=EPSG:4326&WID
[...]
p&BBOX=-72.002504,45.380663,-71.934959,45.432565&SRS=EPSG:4326&WIDTH=937&HEIGHT=
[...]

Yves Moisan

Re: [Qgis-developer] WMS Rendering Problems

Agustin Lobo-2
Tim,

could the new 0.9.1 include the transparency raster branch?
It seems that Peter Ersts has these tools pretty advanced.
It's actually very difficult to use QGis for real work with imagery
without having these tools available.

Thank you all for your work!

Agus

Tim Sutton escribió:

> Hi
>
> Was anyone able to test Toms patch? Can we go ahead and apply it to
> trunk? We would like to do a follow up release of QGIS 0.9.1 in the
> next few days - in particular to provide updated binaries to address
> some GRASS issues Martin fixed, and to provide a Toms WMS fix.
>
> Best regards
>
> Tim
>
> 2007/10/31, Tom Elwertowski <[hidden email]>:
>> Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>>> I'd like to test it.  Where's the patch?
>> Here's a patch for the current (r3707) trunk:
>> http://www.compassowl.com/qgis_wms_async.diff
>>
>> Tom

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410
Fax. 34 934110012
email: [hidden email]
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster

Re: WMS Rendering Problems

yvesm

> Micha Silver wrote:
>> In some early work I noticed on windows, displaying maps from a WMS
>> server (mapserver 4.10.2) that the map image doesn't appear until I "do
>> something".

A couple more observations to help nail the problem.  It seems one issue
has to do with HHTP Exceptions not being handled properly.  Zooming in
to one WMS layers (massgis:GISDATA.IMG_COQ2005 at
http://giswebservices.massgis.state.ma.us/geoserver/wms) I managed to go
down to the level I wanted a few times, but most of the time zooming in
would trigger a timeout (> 120 s, can't remember exact message), then a
HTTP Exception dialog would pop, then the "QGIS has encountered an
error" death window.  I meant to test with uDIG, but it ran for 20
minutes without rendering an image, but at least I could see the little
green progress bar showing it was working.  I stopped it, so I'll never
know if it would have crashed in the end or if it was standard Java
waiting times ;-)

A (related ?) point : I experienced problems in overlaying vector and
raster data.  My first try was NASA global_mosaic and Tiger roads data
(from the MassGIS WMS server).  Roads were off.  Then I figured I'd try
MassGIS raster data (mentioned at the top of this message) and I had
that offset too.  Ticking the project on the fly option in the
preferences didn't seem to do much.

Finally, I wonder if it would be possible to cache the GetCapabilities
response to a local file so the list of available layers pops up
directly after one adds a WMS layer (in the case a layer was added
beforehand, of course).  In the case of the MassGIS WMS server it's
close to 1,5 MB of data upon every connexion.  On a slow connection,
that may be a real issue.

HTH,

Yves Moisan

Re: [Qgis-developer] WMS Rendering Problems

Tim Sutton
Hi

We will be making test packages for the transparency branch (which
will contain everything from trunk merged in too). We will put these
out for public comment and bug testing. Once we are happy that the
raster transparency branch is stable, works as expected and does not
cause any other problems, we will begin the process of getting it
merged into trunk. We will announce to the list when these packages
are available and open a special tag in trh bug tracker that bugs can
be filed against. If you are interested in parrticipating in the
process please contact Peter Ersts who is our raster maintainer. Any
contributions in the form of quality control, testing, useabilty,
coding if you know how etc would be greatly appreciated.

We are in the process of stabilising QGIS for a 1.0 release which
means we are being much more conservative about letting new features
into trunk so that we can really focus on getting all those open bugs
removed.

Many thanks for you input!

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: [Qgis-developer] WMS Rendering Problems

Rhys A.D. Stewart
Speaking of different branches:
 how about including the advanced editing branch? I've (me and about 4
other folks in office) have been using it extensively since late July.
We have had no problems/bugs to report. I know that 5 people using it
doesn't mean it is ready for prime time, but I'm sure we are not the
only ones that have  been using it.

Rhys Stewart

On 11/2/07, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We will be making test packages for the transparency branch (which
> will contain everything from trunk merged in too). We will put these
> out for public comment and bug testing. Once we are happy that the
> raster transparency branch is stable, works as expected and does not
> cause any other problems, we will begin the process of getting it
> merged into trunk. We will announce to the list when these packages
> are available and open a special tag in trh bug tracker that bugs can
> be filed against. If you are interested in parrticipating in the
> process please contact Peter Ersts who is our raster maintainer. Any
> contributions in the form of quality control, testing, useabilty,
> coding if you know how etc would be greatly appreciated.
>
> We are in the process of stabilising QGIS for a 1.0 release which
> means we are being much more conservative about letting new features
> into trunk so that we can really focus on getting all those open bugs
> removed.
>
> Many thanks for you input!
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
> 2007/11/2, Agustin Lobo <[hidden email]>:
> > Tim,
> >
> > could the new 0.9.1 include the transparency raster branch?
> > It seems that Peter Ersts has these tools pretty advanced.
> > It's actually very difficult to use QGis for real work with imagery
> > without having these tools available.
> >
> > Thank you all for your work!
> >
> > Agus
> >
> > Tim Sutton escribió:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Was anyone able to test Toms patch? Can we go ahead and apply it to
> > > trunk? We would like to do a follow up release of QGIS 0.9.1 in the
> > > next few days - in particular to provide updated binaries to address
> > > some GRASS issues Martin fixed, and to provide a Toms WMS fix.
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > >
> > > Tim

> > --
> > Dr. Agustin Lobo
> > Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
> > LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
> > 08028 Barcelona
> > Spain
> > Tel. 34 934095410
> > Fax. 34 934110012
> > email: [hidden email]
> > http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster
> >

> --
> Tim Sutton
> QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
> Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
> openModeller Desktop Developer
> Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
> niche modelling tool
> Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
> Skype: timlinux

Re: [Qgis-developer] WMS Rendering Problems

Tim Sutton
Hi Rhys

Yes we will follow the same strategy for all branches that are
candidates for merging into trunk. Once Marco gives the word that he
is ready, we can create packages and put the advanced editing branch
'out there' for wider testing.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: WMS Rendering Problems

Hugentobler  Marco
Hi Tom,

> The refresh problem arises from the fact that the WMS layer is not
> requested until after the redraw cycle begins. Om a Mac (and probbably
> Windows too, based upon your observations), drawing cannot be
> interrupted to do something else -- either you already possess the
> bitmap or you don't start drawing. The reason you don't see the image
> until some future action is that the WMS image don't show up until after
> the refresh cycle that requested it has competed.

I think that the WMS refresh problem is due to a problem with
QGraphicsView/QGraphicsRectItem, which I tried to adress with r7316. This fix
works for me on Kubuntu7.10, Win XP (msys) and Mac (G4).

From what I can see, the synchronous requesting works as expected and is left
at the time QHttp sends the done() signal (once all the requested data is
available). The painting is then done into QImage, which I think is plattform
independent (software rendering).

Asynchronous requesting of WMS layers could still be a possibility for the
future. Maybe combined with Tims idea of a composite manager? I think that
such functionality should be developed in a branch as there is a high risk of
side effects.

Regards,
Marco

On Tuesday 30 October 2007 19:49:30 Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> [...]
> by network requests inside draw events.
>
> The fix I made is to remove the synchronous network request inside the
> draw event with async requests which must be completed before starting
> to draw. This also speeds things up for multiple WMS layers since all
> layers are requested in parallel rather than serially.
>
> > BTW, displaying layers using the WFS plugin from the same server works
> > well on both systems.
>
> The WFS plugin doesn't make network requests inside draw events so the
> problem doesn't happen for WFS.
>
> One further request from readers: does anyone know of a WMS server that
> returns an indirect pointer rather then a bitmap? The main reason I
> haven't submitted this patch previously is that I haven't been able to
> test that situation. Alternatively, I could add a message "Indirect
> retrieval temporarily disabled: send a url if you would like this

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich

Re: [Qgis-developer] WMS Rendering Problems

John C. Tull
On Nov 3, 2007, at 10:04 AM, Marco Hugentobler wrote:

> Hi Rhys,
>
> Nice to hear your are using the new editing features!
> I'm also keen on merging the advanced editing branch soon. However,
> as the
> branch contains some bigger changes, I think it is better to wait
> after the
> first bugfix release. Also I'd like to do some cleanups and fixes
> prior to
> put it to official pre-merge testing. But I suppose that it will be
> ready in
> the next couple of weeks.
>
> Regards,
> Marco

Sorry for the thread hijack and the ignorance in this question. In
order to checkout and build the advanced editing branch, do you simply
checkout that using svn with something like:
svn co https://svn.qgis.org/repos/qgis/branches/
advanced_editing_branch adv_edit
then build from that directory (adv_edit) as normal?

I tried this today (rev 7316) and was not able to build on OS X where
I can build trunk. If you want some output for debugging, I'd be happy
to send anything your way. I just wanted to make sure I was going at
this the right way. If so, I can move follow-ups to qgis-dev if you
are interested in working out issues on my platform at this point.

Cheers,
John

Re: WMS Rendering Problems

Tom Elwertowski
Marco Hugentobler wrote:

> I think that the WMS refresh problem is due to a problem with
> QGraphicsView/QGraphicsRectItem, which I tried to adress with r7316. This fix
> works for me on Kubuntu7.10, Win XP (msys) and Mac (G4).
>
> From what I can see, the synchronous requesting works as expected and is left
> at the time QHttp sends the done() signal (once all the requested data is
> available). The painting is then done into QImage, which I think is plattform
> independent (software rendering).
>
> Asynchronous requesting of WMS layers could still be a possibility for the
> future. Maybe combined with Tims idea of a composite manager? I think that
> such functionality should be developed in a branch as there is a high risk of
> side effects.

Hi Marco,

r7316 doesn't fix the Mac WMS rendering problem; I am also using a Mac
G4. To reproduce the bug, open a WMS layer and then resize or maximize
the window. The layer is cleared and not redrawn. Other widgets such as
the status and tool bars are sometimes drawn at incorrect locations too.

Resizing a window by dragging the size control is a "gold standard" for
testing Mac drawing code. If there are problems, they are most likely to
show up while resizing a window.

The problem is that the WMS implementation is not "Qt processEvent
safe." Moving to asynchronous network events is one way to make the code
processEvent safe. Moving the synchronous transfer outside the draw
event might also work. Using threads for drawing is probably the best
solution. I chose the asynchronous approach because it seemed closest to
a bug fix than a redesign.

This is the problematic sequence of events:

1. Resize window
2. WMS provider initiates draw event.
3. draw routine discovers layer needs refresh from WMS server.
4. draw routine issues network request.
5. QgsHttpTransaction calls processEvents so that network request can
leave local machine.
6. processEvents now runs other events while waiting for the remote
response.
7. there are drawing events pending due to setStatus signals from
QgsHttpTransaction and QgsRasterLayer as well as for drawing the
overview canvas. If a drag resize is in progress, there are also
additional draw events due to the continued resizing of the main canvas.
This is the bug -- a Mac draw event cannot be interrupted by another
draw event.
8. eventually we resume interrupted draw events which are not able to be
resumed.

Here is the Mac terminal log:

Warning: QWidget::repaint: Recursive repaint detected
Warning: QCoreGraphicsPaintEngine::begin: Painter already active
Warning: QPainter::begin(): Returned false
Warning: QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted

followed by many of:

Warning: QWidget: It is dangerous to leave painters active on a widget
outside of the PaintEvent

My guess is that the begin() of the second draw event is ignored as
superfluous because the painter is already active. The second draw event
then draws and successfully closes the painter. At this point, the
resumed first draw is attempting to draw into an inactive painter.

If we don't change anything, we need to tell users that QGIS/Mac does
not support resizing or maximizing project windows containing WMS layers.

I have been thinking along the same lines as Tim's composite manager but
that's a bigger project than I want to do right now. It's probably best
left for QGIS 1.1. For now, we should see if nested draw events can be
eliminated without a major redesign.

It would also be nice to have some development guidelines about
processEvents since this problem keeps reappearing. A good rule would be
that calls to processEvents cannot be made while drawing is in progress.
Another good rule is not to allow QtPainter warnings in code which
appears to work. These usually indicate code that is not cross-platform
safe.

John C. Tull wrote:
> In order to checkout and build the advanced editing branch, do you simply
> checkout that using svn with something like:
> svn co https://svn.qgis.org/repos/qgis/branches/
> advanced_editing_branch adv_edit
> then build from that directory (adv_edit) as normal?

Yes.

> I tried this today (rev 7316) and was not able to build on OS X where
> I can build trunk.

You must be using GEOS 3.0. Rev 7317 has been made GEOS 3.0 compatible.

On Nov 3, 2007, at 11:39 PM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> John C. Tull wrote:
>> In order to checkout and build the advanced editing branch, do you
>> simply  checkout that using svn with something like:
>> svn co https://svn.qgis.org/repos/qgis/branches/
>> advanced_editing_branch adv_edit
>> then build from that directory (adv_edit) as normal?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I tried this today (rev 7316) and was not able to build on OS X
>> where  I can build trunk.
>
> You must be using GEOS 3.0. Rev 7317 has been made GEOS 3.0
> compatible.
>
> Tom

You are correct about GEOS 3.0. I am using William's framework version
of GEOS, and the current does point to the 3.0 version. I still seem
to be running into a problem related to GEOS when invoking 'make -j3'
after cmake (output below). I edited the qgsgeometry.h file and
provided the full path to geos.h, then the build succeeded (this time
with 'make' to be safe). I don't know if the j3 option was part of the
problem or not.

Thanks for changing the GEOS requirement. I look forward to testing
this branch.

John

[ 34%] Built target gpxprovider
Scanning dependencies of target qgisgrass
[ 34%] Building CXX object src/gui/CMakeFiles/qgis_gui.dir/
qgsrubberband.o
[ 34%] Building CXX object src/providers/grass/CMakeFiles/
qgisgrass.dir/qgsgrassprovider.o
In file included from /Users/jctull/sources/qgis/adv_edit/src/gui/
qgsrubberband.cpp:19:
/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/adv_edit/src/gui/../core/qgsgeometry.h:
26:18: error: geos.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/
include/grass/rtree.h:18,
                  from /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/
include/grass/vect/dig_structs.h:18,
                  from /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/
include/grass/vect/digit.h:3,
                  from /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/
include/grass/Vect.h:4,
                  from /Users/jctull/sources/qgis/adv_edit/src/
providers/grass/qgsgrassprovider.cpp:43:
/Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/include/grass/rtree/index.h:
22:1: warning: "NDEBUG" redefined
<command line>:1:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/adv_edit/src/gui/../core/qgsgeometry.h:399:
error: ‘geos::LineString’ has not been declared
/Users/jctull/sources/qgis/adv_edit/src/gui/../core/qgsgeometry.h:403:
error: ‘geos::LineString’ has not been declared
make[2]: *** [src/gui/CMakeFiles/qgis_gui.dir/qgsrubberband.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/gui/CMakeFiles/qgis_gui.dir/all] Error 2
[ 34%] Building CXX object src/providers/wfs/CMakeFiles/
wfsprovider.dir/qgswfsdata.o
[ 34%] Building CXX object src/providers/wfs/CMakeFiles/
wfsprovider.dir/moc_qgswfsdata.o
[ 34%] Building CXX object src/providers/grass/CMakeFiles/
qgisgrass.dir/qgsgrass.o
In file included from /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/
include/grass/rtree.h:18,
                  from /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/
include/grass/vect/dig_structs.h:18,
                  from /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/
include/grass/vect/digit.h:3,
                  from /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/
include/grass/Vect.h:4,
                  from /Users/jctull/sources/qgis/adv_edit/src/
providers/grass/qgsgrass.cpp:38:
/Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/include/grass/rtree/index.h:
22:1: warning: "NDEBUG" redefined
<command line>:1:1: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition
Linking CXX shared module libwfsprovider.so
[ 34%] Built target wfsprovider
Linking CXX shared library libqgisgrass.dylib
[ 34%] Built target qgisgrass
make: *** [all] Error 2

Re: WMS Rendering Problems

Hugentobler  Marco
Hi Tom,

You are right, resizing is a problem. I did some further tests on Linux and
Mac, and found that resizing is a problem on both plattforms (maybe also on
win, I didn't test). So I don't think it is a Mac specific issue. Also I
found resizing can be a problem with large vector layers.

> r7316 doesn't fix the Mac WMS rendering problem; I am also using a Mac
> G4. To reproduce the bug, open a WMS layer and then resize or maximize
> the window. The layer is cleared and not redrawn. Other widgets such as
> the status and tool bars are sometimes drawn at incorrect locations too.

Maximizing worked on my G4 perfectly. I observed problems with the status and
tool bar when resizing the window with the mouse (both on G4 and Linux).

> My guess is that the begin() of the second draw event is ignored as
> superfluous because the painter is already active. The second draw event
> then draws and successfully closes the painter. At this point, the
> resumed first draw is attempting to draw into an inactive painter.

That's why I tried to protect the QGraphicsRectItem from paint events in
r7316:

if (mCanvas->isDirty())
  {
    setEnabled(false);
    mCanvas->render();
    setEnabled(true);
  }

If the item is disabled, it does not receive events during the rendering. I
have the impression that concurrent paint events are not the only problem.
Maybe Qts update optimisation of QWidget and QGraphicsView is also a cause?

> It's probably best
> left for QGIS 1.1. For now, we should see if nested draw events can be
> eliminated without a major redesign.

I totally agree. As 0.9.1 is meant as a bugfix release, it would be nice to
have a solution with minimal code changes.

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler