Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

12

Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Marco Hugentobler-4
Hi devs

I'd like to announce the branch 'raster-pipes-2' in Radims repository
https://github.com/blazek/Quantum-GIS for testing.
Radim did a great job in refactoring the process of reading / resampling
/ reprojecting / displaying / modifying raster layers. Every step is now
a subclass of QgsRasterInterface, with the advantage that several steps
can be chained in a QgsRasterPipe. Like that, the raster functionality
is nicely separated into different classes and it is easy to add/remove
elements in the pipe. The iteration over the raster parts is controlled
by QgsRasterIterator (because for high-resolution prints or analysis on
large datasets, it is impossible to keep everything in memory at once).

Please report any issue you find in the branch to the developer mailing
list.

Besides the changes in code architecture, there is also a new feature in
the raster-pipes-2 branch. It is now possible to write through
QgsRasterDataProvider (currently only supported by the gdal provider).
There is a 'save as...' function also for rasters now (though it is not
100% complete at the moment). There is the option to save a raster in
one file or in tiles (the tiles are then saved in one directory and vrt
/ pyramides are automatically created. Very usefull for saving the
contents of a WMS layer).

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Etienne Tourigny-3
That's great news!

Concerning raster saving - will there be a mechanism for compressing files?
It would be great if default compression schemes could be chosen for
different file types, and an option at save time - sort of like image
editors.

I had trouble building it with external spatialite, could only get it
to compile with cmake -DWITH_INTERNAL_SPATIALITE=TRUE - does this
require a special version of spatialite?

regards,
Etienne

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Marco Hugentobler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs
>
> I'd like to announce the branch 'raster-pipes-2' in Radims repository
> https://github.com/blazek/Quantum-GIS for testing.
> Radim did a great job in refactoring the process of reading / resampling /
> reprojecting / displaying / modifying raster layers. Every step is now a
> subclass of QgsRasterInterface, with the advantage that several steps can be
> chained in a QgsRasterPipe. Like that, the raster functionality is nicely
> separated into different classes and it is easy to add/remove elements in
> the pipe. The iteration over the raster parts is controlled by
> QgsRasterIterator (because for high-resolution prints or analysis on large
> datasets, it is impossible to keep everything in memory at once).
>
> Please report any issue you find in the branch to the developer mailing
> list.
>
> Besides the changes in code architecture, there is also a new feature in the
> raster-pipes-2 branch. It is now possible to write through
> QgsRasterDataProvider (currently only supported by the gdal provider). There
> is a 'save as...' function also for rasters now (though it is not 100%
> complete at the moment). There is the option to save a raster in one file or
> in tiles (the tiles are then saved in one directory and vrt / pyramides are
> automatically created. Very usefull for saving the contents of a WMS layer).
>
> Regards,
> Marco
>
> --
> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
> Weberstrasse 5, CH-8004 Zürich, Switzerland
> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Etienne Tourigny-3
Noticed a few issues with the save dialog

1) "format" drop-down is empty
2) cannot select a new file
3) segfault when saving to an existing file
4) It would be nice to have that action in the legend contextual menu,
like for vector layers.

regards,
Etienne

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Etienne Tourigny
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's great news!
>
> Concerning raster saving - will there be a mechanism for compressing files?
> It would be great if default compression schemes could be chosen for
> different file types, and an option at save time - sort of like image
> editors.
>
> I had trouble building it with external spatialite, could only get it
> to compile with cmake -DWITH_INTERNAL_SPATIALITE=TRUE - does this
> require a special version of spatialite?
>
> regards,
> Etienne
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Marco Hugentobler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi devs
>>
>> I'd like to announce the branch 'raster-pipes-2' in Radims repository
>> https://github.com/blazek/Quantum-GIS for testing.
>> Radim did a great job in refactoring the process of reading / resampling /
>> reprojecting / displaying / modifying raster layers. Every step is now a
>> subclass of QgsRasterInterface, with the advantage that several steps can be
>> chained in a QgsRasterPipe. Like that, the raster functionality is nicely
>> separated into different classes and it is easy to add/remove elements in
>> the pipe. The iteration over the raster parts is controlled by
>> QgsRasterIterator (because for high-resolution prints or analysis on large
>> datasets, it is impossible to keep everything in memory at once).
>>
>> Please report any issue you find in the branch to the developer mailing
>> list.
>>
>> Besides the changes in code architecture, there is also a new feature in the
>> raster-pipes-2 branch. It is now possible to write through
>> QgsRasterDataProvider (currently only supported by the gdal provider). There
>> is a 'save as...' function also for rasters now (though it is not 100%
>> complete at the moment). There is the option to save a raster in one file or
>> in tiles (the tiles are then saved in one directory and vrt / pyramides are
>> automatically created. Very usefull for saving the contents of a WMS layer).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marco
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
>> Weberstrasse 5, CH-8004 Zürich, Switzerland
>> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
>> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Etienne Tourigny
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Noticed a few issues with the save dialog
>
> 1) "format" drop-down is empty
> 2) cannot select a new file
> 3) segfault when saving to an existing file
> 4) It would be nice to have that action in the legend contextual menu,
> like for vector layers.

It would be really awesome to save those tiles straight into an
mbtiles sqlite data store too - a nice way to turn an online resource
into a portable fast local copy.

Regards

Tim

> regards,
> Etienne
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Etienne Tourigny
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That's great news!
>>
>> Concerning raster saving - will there be a mechanism for compressing files?
>> It would be great if default compression schemes could be chosen for
>> different file types, and an option at save time - sort of like image
>> editors.
>>
>> I had trouble building it with external spatialite, could only get it
>> to compile with cmake -DWITH_INTERNAL_SPATIALITE=TRUE - does this
>> require a special version of spatialite?
>>
>> regards,
>> Etienne
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Marco Hugentobler
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi devs
>>>
>>> I'd like to announce the branch 'raster-pipes-2' in Radims repository
>>> https://github.com/blazek/Quantum-GIS for testing.
>>> Radim did a great job in refactoring the process of reading / resampling /
>>> reprojecting / displaying / modifying raster layers. Every step is now a
>>> subclass of QgsRasterInterface, with the advantage that several steps can be
>>> chained in a QgsRasterPipe. Like that, the raster functionality is nicely
>>> separated into different classes and it is easy to add/remove elements in
>>> the pipe. The iteration over the raster parts is controlled by
>>> QgsRasterIterator (because for high-resolution prints or analysis on large
>>> datasets, it is impossible to keep everything in memory at once).
>>>
>>> Please report any issue you find in the branch to the developer mailing
>>> list.
>>>
>>> Besides the changes in code architecture, there is also a new feature in the
>>> raster-pipes-2 branch. It is now possible to write through
>>> QgsRasterDataProvider (currently only supported by the gdal provider). There
>>> is a 'save as...' function also for rasters now (though it is not 100%
>>> complete at the moment). There is the option to save a raster in one file or
>>> in tiles (the tiles are then saved in one directory and vrt / pyramides are
>>> automatically created. Very usefull for saving the contents of a WMS layer).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Marco
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>>> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
>>> Weberstrasse 5, CH-8004 Zürich, Switzerland
>>> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
>>> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)

Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Marco Hugentobler-4
Hi Etienne

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I've fixed these issues
in raster-pipes-2 branch now.

There are still a few things missing in raster saving:
- write colortable to output dataset
- format specific options (e.g. compression)
- dynamic populating of the format combo box (currently hardcoded to
geotiff)
- progress indication for tile based saving and possibility to cancel

Regards,
Marco

On 18.07.2012 21:12, Etienne Tourigny wrote:

> Noticed a few issues with the save dialog
>
> 1) "format" drop-down is empty
> 2) cannot select a new file
> 3) segfault when saving to an existing file
> 4) It would be nice to have that action in the legend contextual menu,
> like for vector layers.
>
> regards,
> Etienne
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Etienne Tourigny
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That's great news!
>>
>> Concerning raster saving - will there be a mechanism for compressing files?
>> It would be great if default compression schemes could be chosen for
>> different file types, and an option at save time - sort of like image
>> editors.
>>
>> I had trouble building it with external spatialite, could only get it
>> to compile with cmake -DWITH_INTERNAL_SPATIALITE=TRUE - does this
>> require a special version of spatialite?
>>
>> regards,
>> Etienne
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Marco Hugentobler
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi devs
>>>
>>> I'd like to announce the branch 'raster-pipes-2' in Radims repository
>>> https://github.com/blazek/Quantum-GIS for testing.
>>> Radim did a great job in refactoring the process of reading / resampling /
>>> reprojecting / displaying / modifying raster layers. Every step is now a
>>> subclass of QgsRasterInterface, with the advantage that several steps can be
>>> chained in a QgsRasterPipe. Like that, the raster functionality is nicely
>>> separated into different classes and it is easy to add/remove elements in
>>> the pipe. The iteration over the raster parts is controlled by
>>> QgsRasterIterator (because for high-resolution prints or analysis on large
>>> datasets, it is impossible to keep everything in memory at once).
>>>
>>> Please report any issue you find in the branch to the developer mailing
>>> list.
>>>
>>> Besides the changes in code architecture, there is also a new feature in the
>>> raster-pipes-2 branch. It is now possible to write through
>>> QgsRasterDataProvider (currently only supported by the gdal provider). There
>>> is a 'save as...' function also for rasters now (though it is not 100%
>>> complete at the moment). There is the option to save a raster in one file or
>>> in tiles (the tiles are then saved in one directory and vrt / pyramides are
>>> automatically created. Very usefull for saving the contents of a WMS layer).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Marco
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>>> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
>>> Weberstrasse 5, CH-8004 Zürich, Switzerland
>>> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
>>> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Marco Hugentobler-4
Hi Tim

Yes, mbtiles would be cool. I've decided to go with vrt/overview for now
because mbtiles need a very recent GDAL. But mbtiles could be an
additional option in future (especially interesting for mobile devices).

Regards,
Marco

On 18.07.2012 22:52, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Etienne Tourigny
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Noticed a few issues with the save dialog
>>
>> 1) "format" drop-down is empty
>> 2) cannot select a new file
>> 3) segfault when saving to an existing file
>> 4) It would be nice to have that action in the legend contextual menu,
>> like for vector layers.
>>
> It would be really awesome to save those tiles straight into an
> mbtiles sqlite data store too - a nice way to turn an online resource
> into a portable fast local copy.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
>> regards,
>> Etienne
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Etienne Tourigny
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> That's great news!
>>>
>>> Concerning raster saving - will there be a mechanism for compressing files?
>>> It would be great if default compression schemes could be chosen for
>>> different file types, and an option at save time - sort of like image
>>> editors.
>>>
>>> I had trouble building it with external spatialite, could only get it
>>> to compile with cmake -DWITH_INTERNAL_SPATIALITE=TRUE - does this
>>> require a special version of spatialite?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Etienne

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Etienne Tourigny-3
Marco,  my pleasure!

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Marco Hugentobler
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Etienne
>
> Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I've fixed these issues in
> raster-pipes-2 branch now.
>
> There are still a few things missing in raster saving:
> - write colortable to output dataset

The gdal way or the qgis way? Eventually it would be nice to make
these 2 representations compatible.

> - format specific options (e.g. compression)
> - dynamic populating of the format combo box (currently hardcoded to
> geotiff)

I assume this would this be for enabled formats only?

> - progress indication for tile based saving and possibility to cancel

I would be great to have this even if not saving tiles, if it's not
done already.

Etienne

> Regards,
> Marco
>

> On 18.07.2012 21:12, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
>>
>> Noticed a few issues with the save dialog
>>   1) "format" drop-down is empty
>> 2) cannot select a new file
>> 3) segfault when saving to an existing file
>> 4) It would be nice to have that action in the legend contextual menu,
>> like for vector layers.
>>
>> regards,
>> Etienne
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Etienne Tourigny
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's great news!
>>>
>>> Concerning raster saving - will there be a mechanism for compressing
>>> files?
>>> It would be great if default compression schemes could be chosen for
>>> different file types, and an option at save time - sort of like image
>>> editors.
>>>
>>> I had trouble building it with external spatialite, could only get it
>>> to compile with cmake -DWITH_INTERNAL_SPATIALITE=TRUE - does this
>>> require a special version of spatialite?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Etienne

> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
> Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
>
> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Marco Hugentobler
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Tim
>
> Yes, mbtiles would be cool. I've decided to go with vrt/overview for now
> because mbtiles need a very recent GDAL. But mbtiles could be an additional
> option in future (especially interesting for mobile devices).

Yes true thanks!

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

mbernasocchi
On 07/19/2012 10:06 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Marco Hugentobler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Tim
>>
>> Yes, mbtiles would be cool. I've decided to go with vrt/overview for now
>> because mbtiles need a very recent GDAL. But mbtiles could be an additional
>> option in future (especially interesting for mobile devices).
>>
> Yes true thanks!
I'll look into it soon,,,
ciao

> Regards
>
> Tim
>

>> Regards,
>> Marco
>>

>> On 18.07.2012 22:52, Tim Sutton wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> It would be really awesome to save those tiles straight into an
>>> mbtiles sqlite data store too - a nice way to turn an online resource
>>> into a portable fast local copy.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Tim

>> --
>> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
>> Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
>>
>> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
>> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

--
Marco Bernasocchi
http://opengis.ch

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Etienne
>
> Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I've fixed these issues in
> raster-pipes-2 branch now.
>
> There are still a few things missing in raster saving:
> - write colortable to output dataset
> - format specific options (e.g. compression)
> - dynamic populating of the format combo box (currently hardcoded to
> geotiff)
> - progress indication for tile based saving and possibility to cancel

It just occurred to me that it would be a great thing to implement
this as a widget+class in QgisGui, so that it could be used elsewhere
(e.g. gdaltools, sextante).

Any way I can help?

> Regards,
> Marco
>

> On 18.07.2012 21:12, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
>>
>> Noticed a few issues with the save dialog
>>   1) "format" drop-down is empty
>> 2) cannot select a new file
>> 3) segfault when saving to an existing file
>> 4) It would be nice to have that action in the legend contextual menu,
>> like for vector layers.
>>
>> regards,
>> Etienne
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Etienne Tourigny
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's great news!
>>>
>>> Concerning raster saving - will there be a mechanism for compressing
>>> files?
>>> It would be great if default compression schemes could be chosen for
>>> different file types, and an option at save time - sort of like image
>>> editors.
>>>
>>> I had trouble building it with external spatialite, could only get it
>>> to compile with cmake -DWITH_INTERNAL_SPATIALITE=TRUE - does this
>>> require a special version of spatialite?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Etienne

> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
> Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
>
> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Etienne Tourigny
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Marco Hugentobler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Etienne
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I've fixed these issues in
>> raster-pipes-2 branch now.
>>
>> There are still a few things missing in raster saving:
>> - write colortable to output dataset
>> - format specific options (e.g. compression)
>> - dynamic populating of the format combo box (currently hardcoded to
>> geotiff)
>> - progress indication for tile based saving and possibility to cancel
>
> It just occurred to me that it would be a great thing to implement
> this as a widget+class in QgisGui, so that it could be used elsewhere
> (e.g. gdaltools, sextante).

You mean as a reusable widget like the crs selector? Yes that would be great!

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Etienne Tourigny-3
Yes - I was also thinking about being able to define defaults for
saving rasters (default format, default compression + options per
format, tiles) which would be application-wide.

And this reusable widget could be pre-populated with these options -
and used in core as well as python plugins.  You would create an
instance of this widget, given a raster layer, and then be able to
save it.
I would see this as an expandable component inside each of the
gdaltools dialogs.

Etienne

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Etienne Tourigny
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Marco Hugentobler
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Etienne
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I've fixed these issues in
>>> raster-pipes-2 branch now.
>>>
>>> There are still a few things missing in raster saving:
>>> - write colortable to output dataset
>>> - format specific options (e.g. compression)
>>> - dynamic populating of the format combo box (currently hardcoded to
>>> geotiff)
>>> - progress indication for tile based saving and possibility to cancel
>>
>> It just occurred to me that it would be a great thing to implement
>> this as a widget+class in QgisGui, so that it could be used elsewhere
>> (e.g. gdaltools, sextante).
>>

> You mean as a reusable widget like the crs selector? Yes that would be great!
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
>> Any way I can help?
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Marco

>>> --
>>> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>>> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
>>> Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
>>>
>>> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
>>> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
>
> Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
>  * QGIS programming and support services
>  * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans
>  * FOSS Consulting Services
> Skype: timlinux

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Marco Hugentobler-4
Hi Etienne

>It just occurred to me that it would be a great thing to implement
>this as a widget+class in QgisGui, so that it could be used elsewhere
>(e.g. gdaltools, sextante).

Actually the widget is in gui, so you could add a sip file and it should
be available for plugins too.

>Yes - I was also thinking about being able to define defaults for
>saving rasters (default format, default compression + options per
>format, tiles) which would be application-wide.

>Any way I can help?

Help is much appreciated, there are so many things to do.
It would be great if you can enhance the dialog and raster provider interface (create operation) with the capability of format specific options (and reasonable defaults).

@Radim: do you want to grant Etienne write access in your repository or do you prefer pull requests?

Regards,
Marco

Am 20.07.2012 00:19, schrieb Etienne Tourigny:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Marco Hugentobler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Etienne
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I've fixed these issues in
>> raster-pipes-2 branch now.
>>
>> There are still a few things missing in raster saving:
>> - write colortable to output dataset
>> - format specific options (e.g. compression)
>> - dynamic populating of the format combo box (currently hardcoded to
>> geotiff)
>> - progress indication for tile based saving and possibility to cancel
> It just occurred to me that it would be a great thing to implement
> this as a widget+class in QgisGui, so that it could be used elsewhere
> (e.g. gdaltools, sextante).
>
> Any way I can help?
>

>> Regards,
>> Marco
>>

>> On 18.07.2012 21:12, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
>>> Noticed a few issues with the save dialog
>>>    1) "format" drop-down is empty
>>> 2) cannot select a new file
>>> 3) segfault when saving to an existing file
>>> 4) It would be nice to have that action in the legend contextual menu,
>>> like for vector layers.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Etienne

>> --
>> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
>> Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
>> Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland
>>
>> [hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch
>> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions
[hidden email] http://www.sourcepole.ch

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Radim Blazek-2
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Etienne Tourigny
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes - I was also thinking about being able to define defaults for
> saving rasters (default format, default compression + options per
> format, tiles) which would be application-wide.
>
> And this reusable widget could be pre-populated with these options -
> and used in core as well as python plugins.  You would create an
> instance of this widget, given a raster layer, and then be able to
> save it.
> I would see this as an expandable component inside each of the
> gdaltools dialogs.

Please keep in mind that other options have to be added to the dialog:
  * user defined null values - initially will be filled with layer
transparency values with 100% transparency
  * output CRS

Should we use tabs?

I have granted you write access, please work directly in raster-pipes-2.

Radim

> Etienne
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Etienne Tourigny
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It just occurred to me that it would be a great thing to implement
>>> this as a widget+class in QgisGui, so that it could be used elsewhere
>>> (e.g. gdaltools, sextante).
>>>

>> You mean as a reusable widget like the crs selector? Yes that would be great!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>
>>> Any way I can help?

>> --
>> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
>> Please do not email me off-list with technical
>> support questions. Using the lists will gain
>> more exposure for your issues and the knowledge
>> surrounding your issue will be shared with all.
>>
>> Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
>>  * QGIS programming and support services
>>  * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans
>>  * FOSS Consulting Services
>> Skype: timlinux
>> Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Etienne Tourigny-3
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Marco Hugentobler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Etienne
>

>> It just occurred to me that it would be a great thing to implement
>> this as a widget+class in QgisGui, so that it could be used elsewhere
>> (e.g. gdaltools, sextante).
>

> Actually the widget is in gui, so you could add a sip file and it should be
> available for plugins too.
>

>> Yes - I was also thinking about being able to define defaults for
>> saving rasters (default format, default compression + options per
>> format, tiles) which would be application-wide.
>

>> Any way I can help?
>

> Help is much appreciated, there are so many things to do.
> It would be great if you can enhance the dialog and raster provider
> interface (create operation) with the capability of format specific options
> (and reasonable defaults).

I was thinking of initially providing a linedit for space-separated
key=value pairs, and then adding a more complex interface with various
format-specific options (like COMPRESS=NONE/DEFLATE/etc) and ui to add
other options (like in some of the gdaltools dialogs).

Is the idea to have this for gdal only, or other providers eventually?
It would be simpler for now to stick to the gdal creation format
(key1=value1 key2=value2), making it more generic might require
considerable work.
I was thinking of passing a QStringList of key=value elements to the
gdal provider create() method, which would be passed on to the
GDALCreate() as a char**  .

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Radim Blazek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Etienne Tourigny
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes - I was also thinking about being able to define defaults for
>> saving rasters (default format, default compression + options per
>> format, tiles) which would be application-wide.
>>
>> And this reusable widget could be pre-populated with these options -
>> and used in core as well as python plugins.  You would create an
>> instance of this widget, given a raster layer, and then be able to
>> save it.
>> I would see this as an expandable component inside each of the
>> gdaltools dialogs.
>
> Please keep in mind that other options have to be added to the dialog:
>   * user defined null values - initially will be filled with layer
> transparency values with 100% transparency
>   * output CRS
>
> Should we use tabs?

I think we could refine that when all parts are there, but it does
make sense. I would like to eventually have a standalone widget for
the options, so it could be reused (e.g. in the GDAL tab in the user
prefs). In this case it would be grafted to the main save dialog.

> I have granted you write access, please work directly in raster-pipes-2.

thanks
Etienne

> Radim
>
>> Etienne
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> You mean as a reusable widget like the crs selector? Yes that would be great!
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Tim

>>> --
>>> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
>>> ==============================================
>>> Please do not email me off-list with technical
>>> support questions. Using the lists will gain
>>> more exposure for your issues and the knowledge
>>> surrounding your issue will be shared with all.
>>>
>>> Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
>>>  * QGIS programming and support services
>>>  * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans
>>>  * FOSS Consulting Services
>>> Skype: timlinux
>>> Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Etienne Tourigny
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Radim Blazek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Etienne Tourigny
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Yes - I was also thinking about being able to define defaults for
>>> saving rasters (default format, default compression + options per
>>> format, tiles) which would be application-wide.
>>>
>>> And this reusable widget could be pre-populated with these options -
>>> and used in core as well as python plugins.  You would create an
>>> instance of this widget, given a raster layer, and then be able to
>>> save it.
>>> I would see this as an expandable component inside each of the
>>> gdaltools dialogs.
>>
>> Please keep in mind that other options have to be added to the dialog:
>>   * user defined null values - initially will be filled with layer
>> transparency values with 100% transparency
>>   * output CRS
>>
>> Should we use tabs?
>
> I think we could refine that when all parts are there, but it does
> make sense. I would like to eventually have a standalone widget for
> the options, so it could be reused (e.g. in the GDAL tab in the user
> prefs). In this case it would be grafted to the main save dialog.

IMHO using tabs would be a bad idea as it would limit where we can use
it - if we want to embed the widget in another widget we could have a
situation of tabs in tabs which is a HIG no-no. Also have a look at
Guiseppe's dialogs in the gdal tools they provide a simple table for
the Key value pairs. One thing that would be really nice is to have
some default profiles:

- options for maximum read performance regardless of disk space
- options for minumum file size regardless of performance
- options for 'middle of the road' between the above two

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Etienne Tourigny
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Radim Blazek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Please keep in mind that other options have to be added to the dialog:
>>>   * user defined null values - initially will be filled with layer
>>> transparency values with 100% transparency
>>>   * output CRS
>>>
>>> Should we use tabs?
>>
>> I think we could refine that when all parts are there, but it does
>> make sense. I would like to eventually have a standalone widget for
>> the options, so it could be reused (e.g. in the GDAL tab in the user
>> prefs). In this case it would be grafted to the main save dialog.
>>

> IMHO using tabs would be a bad idea as it would limit where we can use
> it - if we want to embed the widget in another widget we could have a
> situation of tabs in tabs which is a HIG no-no. Also have a look at
> Guiseppe's dialogs in the gdal tools they provide a simple table for
> the Key value pairs.

Of course you are right - let's go forward and see how it integrates
later on. I was referring to those dialogs about the key/value pairs
UI.

>One thing that would be really nice is to have
> some default profiles:
>
> - options for maximum read performance regardless of disk space
> - options for minumum file size regardless of performance
> - options for 'middle of the road' between the above two

would you have these options for all file types? it could get a little
complex, but worth the effort. For now I am implementing 1 default for
each driver, which can be defined by the user.

Etienne

> Regards
>
> Tim
>

>>> I have granted you write access, please work directly in raster-pipes-2.
>>
>> thanks
>> Etienne
>>

>>> Radim

> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
>
> Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
>  * QGIS programming and support services
>  * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans
>  * FOSS Consulting Services
> Skype: timlinux

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Etienne Tourigny
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>One thing that would be really nice is to have
>> some default profiles:
>>
>> - options for maximum read performance regardless of disk space
>> - options for minumum file size regardless of performance
>> - options for 'middle of the road' between the above two
>
> would you have these options for all file types? it could get a little
> complex, but worth the effort. For now I am implementing 1 default for
> each driver, which can be defined by the user.

I was thinking just for tiff as I think it is the most generically used.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Announcing raster-pipes-2 branch for testing

Etienne Tourigny-3
Ok this is a more general question then - which format(s) should
raster export support?

Etienne

12