Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da
Hello list

I have uploaded a new python plugin called ProfileFromLine.
This plugin will generate points along lines according to a user
specified interval and will optionally sample loaded raster(s) at each
new point's location.

Each new point will keep all the attributes of its originating line,
plus any raster values that it had been asked to sample. In addition,
every point will have a distinct attribute and also an attribute that
stores the distance along its line since the beginning (the line's
starting point being according to the original digitizing direction).

the new points layer is created using the 'memory' provider, and the
user must manually save it to disk. this seemed like a nice option,
because you can choose your desired format upon saving.

The plugin depends on the shapely python package, so you must have it
installed and accessible on your system. This shouldn't be much of a
problem on linux and windows (it is available on the osgeo4w packages
as well). since I don't have a Mac I wouldn't know how easy it is to
get shapely installed, but I trust it to be just as easy ;)

I hope that it is useful. Please drop me a message through this
mailing list if you have any suggestions.

Re: Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

John C. Tull-2
On Aug 13, 2010, at 1:53 PM, Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da wrote:

> Hello list
>
> I have uploaded a new python plugin called ProfileFromLine.
> This plugin will generate points along lines according to a user
> specified interval and will optionally sample loaded raster(s) at each
> new point's location.
>
> Each new point will keep all the attributes of its originating line,
> plus any raster values that it had been asked to sample. In addition,
> every point will have a distinct attribute and also an attribute that
> stores the distance along its line since the beginning (the line's
> starting point being according to the original digitizing direction).
>
> the new points layer is created using the 'memory' provider, and the
> user must manually save it to disk. this seemed like a nice option,
> because you can choose your desired format upon saving.

This sounds like another nice addition. I have done this with GRASS, and your plugin will greatly simplify the process. Kudos

> The plugin depends on the shapely python package, so you must have it
> installed and accessible on your system. This shouldn't be much of a
> problem on linux and windows (it is available on the osgeo4w packages
> as well). since I don't have a Mac I wouldn't know how easy it is to
> get shapely installed, but I trust it to be just as easy ;)

It's pretty simple. This worked for me from the Terminal:
sudo easy_install shapely

> I hope that it is useful. Please drop me a message through this
> mailing list if you have any suggestions.

Cheers,
John_______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list

RE: Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hello Ricardo,

The usefulness of your plugin is very high. Thanks.

While testing it I've got the following error:

====================================
An error has occured while executing Python code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/.qgis/python/plugins\ProfileFromLine\ProfileFromLineDialog.py", line 43, in accept
    params["interval"], self.ui.progressBar)
  File "C:/.qgis/python/plugins\ProfileFromLine\ProfileFromLine.py", line 129, in create_profile_layer
    fieldMapper, rasterLayers, rasterFieldsStart)
  File "C:/.qgis/python/plugins\ProfileFromLine\ProfileFromLine.py", line 179, in create_new_point
    shapelyPoint = shapelyLine.interpolate(distanceFromLine, normalized)
AttributeError: 'LineString' object has no attribute 'interpolate'

Python version:
2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

QGIS version:
1.6.0-Trunk Trunk, 14077M
====================================

Any idea why?
The line shapefile in input contains 2 lines (many km long).
The error is the same if I want to only create the points in-memory or if I want to extract raster values from a bunch of rasters.

Another thing, could you tell what is the unit of Sampling interval you are using? Is it in the project units (m, feet, ...) or is it in another unit (the default, 4.00, seems very small to be in metres, but it would depend on the type of project, I suppose)? Also, the sampling interval is limited to 99.99, again, if in the project units, this is a serious limitation. Could you use an 'open' sampling interval?

Cheers,
Benoit

Hi Benoit

> While testing it I've got the following error:

> Any idea why?

I think you probably have an older version of the GEOS library. Please
open a python console (it can be the Qgis python console) and type:

import shapely.geos
shapely.geos.geos_capi_version

it should return a tuple with version 1.6.0 or higher (on my system it
reads 1.6.2). Could this be the problem? What OS are you using?
I added a check for this variable that will (hopefully) display an
informative error message to the user.

> Another thing, could you tell what is the unit of Sampling interval you are using? Is it in the project units (m, feet, ...) or is it in another unit (the default, 4.00, seems very small to be in metres, but it would depend on the type of project, I suppose)? Also, the sampling interval is limited to 99.99, again, if in the project units, this is a serious limitation. Could you use an 'open' sampling interval?

Well, the unit for the sampling interval is actually the layer's own
units according to its own reference system and not the project's. The
default value of 4,00 is indeed in meters, because the original
project for which I designed this plugin is dealing with lines that
are 60m long or so. Anyway, I changed the 'sampling interval' spinbox
to accept values in the range 0.01 - 1000000. I'll try to come up with
a nicer solution, but in the mean time I hope it will work for people
that are using longer line lengths.

I uploaded a newer version (0.3) to the repository so please test it
out and see if it works for you.
Thanks for testing it out :)

RE: Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hello again Ricardo,

You could be right!

After installing the latest version from the plugin repo I got the following error:

Couldn't load plugin ProfileFromLine due an error when calling its classFactory() method

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/PROGRAMS/OSGeo4W/apps/qgis-dev/./python\qgis\utils.py", line 138, in startPlugin
    plugins[packageName] = package.classFactory(iface)
  File "C:/Documents and Settings/Benoit/.qgis/python/plugins\ProfileFromLine\__init__.py", line 30, in classFactory
    from ProfileFromLine import ProfileFromLine
  File "C:/PROGRAMS/OSGeo4W/apps/qgis-dev/./python\qgis\utils.py", line 279, in _import
    mod = _builtin_import(name, globals, locals, fromlist, level)
  File "C:/Documents and Settings/Benoit/.qgis/python/plugins\ProfileFromLine\ProfileFromLine.py", line 25, in
    from shapely.geos import geos_capi_version
ImportError: cannot import name geos_capi_version

Python version:
2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

QGIS version:
1.6.0-Trunk Trunk, 14077M

I'm running QGIS 1.6.14077M from OSGeo4W on Windows XP.
It then seems that the OSGeo4W Shapely libs (1.0.14-1) are quite old... And I do not know how to compile packages for OSGeo4W :-(

Thanks for the quick answer.

Cheers,
Benoit

Hello Benoit and list

I regret to inform you that, after a more careful inspection of the
available libs offered by the osgeo4w installer, I realised that users
that are using osgeo4w probably can't use my plugin (yet).

The reason for this is the version of GEOS and Shapely libs that are
packaged by the osgeo4w folks are a bit older than what the plugin
requires. I am sorry for this inconvenience. I'll open a ticket at the
osgeo4w trac to ask for packaging of newer libs. If you feel that you
absolutely must have this feature, try using GRASS or SAGA GIS as an
alternative.

Thank you for your feedback

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Benoit de Cabissole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello again Ricardo,
>
> You could be right!
>
> After installing the latest version from the plugin repo I got the following error:
>
> Couldn't load plugin ProfileFromLine due an error when calling its classFactory() method
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "C:/PROGRAMS/OSGeo4W/apps/qgis-dev/./python\qgis\utils.py", line 138, in startPlugin
>    plugins[packageName] = package.classFactory(iface)
>  File "C:/Documents and Settings/Benoit/.qgis/python/plugins\ProfileFromLine\__init__.py", line 30, in classFactory
>    from ProfileFromLine import ProfileFromLine
>  File "C:/PROGRAMS/OSGeo4W/apps/qgis-dev/./python\qgis\utils.py", line 279, in _import
>    mod = _builtin_import(name, globals, locals, fromlist, level)
>  File "C:/Documents and Settings/Benoit/.qgis/python/plugins\ProfileFromLine\ProfileFromLine.py", line 25, in
>    from shapely.geos import geos_capi_version
> ImportError: cannot import name geos_capi_version
>
> Python version:
> 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
>

> QGIS version:
> 1.6.0-Trunk Trunk, 14077M
>

> I'm running QGIS 1.6.14077M from OSGeo4W on Windows XP.
> It then seems that the OSGeo4W Shapely libs (1.0.14-1) are quite old... And I do not know how to compile packages for OSGeo4W :-(
>

> Thanks for the quick answer.
>
> Cheers,
> Benoit

Borys Jurgiel-3

> The reason for this is the version of GEOS and Shapely libs that are

> packaged by the osgeo4w folks are a bit older than what the plugin

> requires. I am sorry for this inconvenience. I'll open a ticket at the

> osgeo4w trac to ask for packaging of newer libs. If you feel that you

> absolutely must have this feature, try using GRASS or SAGA GIS as an

> alternative.

I believe many users use Shapely 1.0.x still, so I'd suggest to handle this error in more friendly manner, like:

try:

from shapely.geos import geos_capi_version

except:

geos_capi_version = (-1,-1,-1)

and then include it to the geosCAPIVersion tests

Thanks for the very useful plugin, anyway! It's what people often request from the ProfileTool (and I still hadn't any time to implement).

Re: Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

Giovanni Manghi
Olá Ricardo,

thanks for the nice tool.

I'm under ubuntu 10.04, using ubuntugis repositories and python-shapely
installed. When I launch the plugin I always get

The shapely python package uses the GEOS library. \Your current version
of GEOS doesn't support the feature needed by Shapely. \Please install a
more recent version of GEOS (version 3.2 or later).

but as a fact I have GEOS 3.2.2 installed...

thanks in advance

-- Giovanni --

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 21:53 +0100, Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da
wrote:

> Hello list
>
> I have uploaded a new python plugin called ProfileFromLine.
> This plugin will generate points along lines according to a user
> specified interval and will optionally sample loaded raster(s) at each
> new point's location.
>
> Each new point will keep all the attributes of its originating line,
> plus any raster values that it had been asked to sample. In addition,
> every point will have a distinct attribute and also an attribute that
> stores the distance along its line since the beginning (the line's
> starting point being according to the original digitizing direction).
>
> the new points layer is created using the 'memory' provider, and the
> user must manually save it to disk. this seemed like a nice option,
> because you can choose your desired format upon saving.
>
> The plugin depends on the shapely python package, so you must have it
> installed and accessible on your system. This shouldn't be much of a
> problem on linux and windows (it is available on the osgeo4w packages
> as well). since I don't have a Mac I wouldn't know how easy it is to
> get shapely installed, but I trust it to be just as easy ;)
>
> I hope that it is useful. Please drop me a message through this
> mailing list if you have any suggestions.

Re: Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da
Olá Giovanni

I am also on Ubuntu 10.04 (actually kubuntu, but it should be the
same). I am guessing you probably have the shapely lib installed from
the repositories. I thought I had the same, but I just checked and the
version of shapely  that is in the repos is 1.0.14-1. I must have
installed shapely using easy_install and later forgot about it. I am
sorry for this confusion.

So, to solve the issue, please install shapely using easy_install. It
will give you the current version, which is 1.2 and that will (most
likely) solve your problem.

If you don't have easy_install yet, just open up Synaptic and look for
the python-setuptools package
After that, you can run:

sudo easy_install shapely

Dnia wtorek 17 sierpnia 2010 o 13:56:47 Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da napisał(a):

> I am guessing you probably have the shapely lib installed from

> the repositories. I thought I had the same, but I just checked and the

> version of shapely  that is in the repos is 1.0.14-1. I must have

> installed shapely using easy_install and later forgot about it. I am

> sorry for this confusion.

It will be perfect if you add a Shapely warning message in case geosCAPIVersion[0]<0

Re: Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

stefaan dondeyne
Hi all

I must say that as an ordinary qGIS user - using version 1.5. under windows Vista - I am totally lost how to get the thing properly installed and working.

I'll be greatful for some simple advice.

Stefaan

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 12:23 +0000, stefaan dondeyne wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I must say that as an ordinary qGIS user - using version 1.5. under
> windows Vista - I am totally lost how to get the thing properly
> installed and working.

first advice: drop Vista, is just a source of problems (with qgis also),
if you can, pass to Seven or even better to linux

second advice: use the osgeo4w installer, it is different from what you
may already know, but after a few tries it makes perfectly sense... as
you have everything in may need in the same installer.

cheers

-- Giovanni --

Re: Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

Borys Jurgiel-2

Dnia wtorek 17 sierpnia 2010 o 14:28:26 Giovanni Manghi napisał(a):

> second advice: use the osgeo4w installer, it is different from what you

> may already know, but after a few tries it makes perfectly sense... as

> you have everything in may need in the same installer.

I'm not a windows user, but I'm afraid osgeo4w doesn't help in this particular case, as it's written here:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2010-August/009351.html

Re: Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

stefaan dondeyne
Hi Giovanni and Borys

- both many thanks for your advise

- so far I have been generating topographic transects using the SPRING (I use it mainly for DTM and for working with Satelite images)

- it would have been great if I could do it easily and straight in qGIS, which I use mainly with vector data - but OK for the time being I'll continue using SPRING for that matter

Cheers

Stefaan

Stefaan Dondeyne (PhD)
GSM +32 476 61 90 65 (Belgium) Mobile +258 82 89 295 64 (Mozambique)
Tel + 32 16 32 97 34 (Department Earth and Environmental Sciences - KU Leuven)

Dnia wtorek 17 sierpnia 2010 o 14:28:26 Giovanni Manghi napisał(a):

> second advice: use the osgeo4w installer, it is different from what you

> may already know, but after a few tries it makes perfectly sense... as

> you have everything in may need in the same installer.

I'm not a windows user, but I'm afraid osgeo4w doesn't help in this particular case, as it's written here:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2010-August/009351.html

Re: Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

Giovanni Manghi
if the problem is installing the right version of shapely then "easy
install" is available also for windows

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools#windows

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 12:44 +0000, stefaan dondeyne wrote:

> Hi Giovanni and Borys
>
> - both many thanks for your advise
>
> - so far I have been generating topographic transects using the
> SPRING (I use it mainly for DTM and for working with Satelite images)
>
> - it would have been great if I could do it easily and straight in
> qGIS, which I use mainly with vector data - but OK for the time being
> I'll continue using SPRING for that matter
>
> Cheers
>
> Stefaan

> Stefaan Dondeyne (PhD)
>
> GSM +32 476 61 90 65 (Belgium) Mobile +258 82 89 295 64 (Mozambique)
> Tel + 32 16 32 97 34 (Department Earth and Environmental Sciences - KU
> Leuven)_________________________________________________
> http://www.panoramio.com/user/3497468?with_photo_id=25100300
> http://www.mozambiqueflora.com/index.php
> http://micaia.org/centre/micaia_family.html
> http://ees.kuleuven.be/

Hello all

I have uploaded a new version of this plugin. It will display a more
meaningful error message when the user doesn't have the minimum
version of Shapely or GEOS necessary to run it.
I also added a fix for the problem reported by Paolo:

"...BTW, if I run the Profile romLine without selecting a line (I know
this is wrong), I
get an error:

Errore durante l'esecuzione di codice Python:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/home/paolo/.qgis/python/plugins/ProfileFromLine/ProfileFromLineDialog.py",
line 44, in accept
   params["interval"], self.ui.progressBar)
 File "/home/paolo/.qgis/python/plugins/ProfileFromLine/ProfileFromLine.py",
line
106, in create_profile_layer
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'dataProvider'

This should be trapped, and a more meaningful error should be
displayed to the user...."

Now the plugin will only be active (selectable from the toolbar or the
plugins menu) if there is already a lines layer loaded in the map
canvas.

Thank you for testing it out