Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Till Adams-3
Dear Community,

just passed and survived the last FOSS4G in Bucharest, the community is
looking forward for the next global FOSS4G conferences. We, OSGeo's
Conference Committee, are happy to announce the call for location for the

"Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial Conference 2021"

to be held in "other regions". Precisely this means that the conference
can be anywhere on the world, except Europe and North America. Only in
case that we do not receive any appropriate bid from these parts of the
world, we will consider to accept bids from Europe or North America.

Summer holidays are over, no reason not to start your work, grab some
people together, build a team, have fun and work out your bid! 2021 is
right around the corner and be proud to get all the FOSS4G folks to your
country, to your city, to your pub and introduce them to your local
environment!

Please find all details on [1] and more background information on [2].
In case that you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask the
conference committee or your barkeeper ;-)!

Have fun!

Till, on behalf of OSGeo's Conference committee

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2021_Bid_Process

[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Till Adams-3
Dear Mr. Guney,

many thanks for your email. Please consider my reply as my personal
opinion, so in this case, I am not representing the opinion of the whole
conference committee.

In general, we have to detect, whether Istanbul is "Europe" or "Asia"
first - I know about the geographic location, it's geographically both,
but often Turkey is considered as being part of Europe - in that case, a
bid for 2021 would not be possible, as the next bid for a European
global FOSS4G will be for the 2022 conference. But that is not the
problem, as you can consider yourself as being part of Asia ;-)

My 2nd point is, that we recently had a conference in Bucharest, which
is (on a global level) quite close to Istanbul. This is no problem and
no obstacle handing in a bid for 2021 at all - it *may* just lower your
chances to be selected, as OSGeo loves to see moving FOSS4G around the
globe. But this - again - is just my thought and must not be the truth
and must not be influence my vote in any case! A very good proposal is
of course most convincing, not the geographical location!!

So, in general, of course we, OSGeo's CC, would love to receive as many
bids for the 2021 conference. So feel free to hand in yours.

BTW: The barreer for the first step is quite low, as you can see on the
bid page in the WIKI [1] - hand in a letter of intent (which is
restricted to a max. of 2 pages) and then you are in the process. The
"real" work begins once you passed stage 1.

I wish you all the best!

Till

Am 06.09.19 um 09:18 schrieb Caner Guney:

> Dear Conference Committee,
>
> We are trying to establish the Turkey chapter of OSGeo. Besides, we
> are organizing the single and the largest (national-level) GIS
> Congress in Turkey on the 23rd-25th of October, 2019
> (https://cbskongresi.org/).
>
> We, as Istanbul, would like to be candidate for the next global FOSS4G
> 2021.
>
> We believe that this organization is going to be valuable opportunity
> to improve and strength open source spatial activities in Turkey.
>
> Furthermore, FOSS4G never be held in Istanbul or Turkey yet.
>
> Could you please let us know briefly what do you think about this
> candidacy?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Asst. Prof. Dr. Caner Guney
>
> Istanbul Technical University, the department of Geomatics
>
> GIS congress chair
>

> On 9/6/2019 9:32 AM, Till Adams wrote:
>> Dear Community,
>>
>> just passed and survived the last FOSS4G in Bucharest, the community is
>> looking forward for the next global FOSS4G conferences. We, OSGeo's
>> Conference Committee, are happy to announce the call for location for
>> the
>>
>> "Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial Conference 2021"
>>
>> to be held in "other regions". Precisely this means that the conference
>> can be anywhere on the world, except Europe and North America. Only in
>> case that we do not receive any appropriate bid from these parts of the
>> world, we will consider to accept bids from Europe or North America.
>>
>> Summer holidays are over, no reason not to start your work, grab some
>> people together, build a team, have fun and work out your bid! 2021 is
>> right around the corner and be proud to get all the FOSS4G folks to your
>> country, to your city, to your pub and introduce them to your local
>> environment!
>>
>> Please find all details on [1] and more background information on [2].
>> In case that you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask the
>> conference committee or your barkeeper ;-)!
>>

>> Have fun!
>>
>> Till, on behalf of OSGeo's Conference committee
>>

>> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2021_Bid_Process
>>
>> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee

Re: Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Jonathan Moules-4
Hi Till,

Back in July you asked for feedback on the RFP process for 2021 to be
put here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Changes_in_RfP_Document_for_2021

I've not seen anything further on this and the suggestions listed
(Disclosure: Yes, they're mine) don't appear in the docs.

I'm guess this was an oversight or did I miss a thread?

Cheers,

Jonathan

On 2019-09-06 07:32, Till Adams wrote:

> Dear Community,
>
> just passed and survived the last FOSS4G in Bucharest, the community is
> looking forward for the next global FOSS4G conferences. We, OSGeo's
> Conference Committee, are happy to announce the call for location for the
>
> "Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial Conference 2021"
>
> to be held in "other regions". Precisely this means that the conference
> can be anywhere on the world, except Europe and North America. Only in
> case that we do not receive any appropriate bid from these parts of the
> world, we will consider to accept bids from Europe or North America.
>
> Summer holidays are over, no reason not to start your work, grab some
> people together, build a team, have fun and work out your bid! 2021 is
> right around the corner and be proud to get all the FOSS4G folks to your
> country, to your city, to your pub and introduce them to your local
> environment!
>
> Please find all details on [1] and more background information on [2].
> In case that you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask the
> conference committee or your barkeeper ;-)!
>

> Have fun!
>
> Till, on behalf of OSGeo's Conference committee
>

> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2021_Bid_Process
>
> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Mark Iliffe-2
Hi Till, Prof Caner,

I'd like to endorse everything you've said above and add to Prof Caner the best of luck with your bidding process!! While it is a very long process, it is a very rewarding experience :-)

Till, this helps me articulate a thought that's been knocking around for a while; In effect, instead of solely focusing on geographic region, is there a mechanism (should there be?) to also consider development status as well as region. I think it would be great to see a broader engagement with Asia and South America [1], especially to utilize the "Rest of World" to enfranchise others in the places where we can have the largest impact.

Cheers,

Mark

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 05:05, Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> world, we will consider to accept bids from Europe or North America.
>>
>> Summer holidays are over, no reason not to start your work, grab some
>> people together, build a team, have fun and work out your bid! 2021 is
>> right around the corner and be proud to get all the FOSS4G folks to your
>> country, to your city, to your pub and introduce them to your local
>> environment!
>>
>> Please find all details on [1] and more background information on [2].
>> In case that you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask the
>> conference committee or your barkeeper ;-)!
>>

>> Have fun!
>>
>> Till, on behalf of OSGeo's Conference committee
>>

>> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2021_Bid_Process
>>
>> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee

Re: Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Dear Jonathan,

looking at the linked WIKI-page - honestly I do not see many points to be added to the RfP here.

The proposal to change the voting procedure (presumably) you proposed are difficult to implement.

Especially as the phrase "members vote for their favourite next holiday destination" honestly seems more like an accusation
from someone who has no idea on what basis each individual member ultimately decides than a serious proposal.

I would favour to have a further discussion on this, if you see really an issue here, I don't.

Till

Am 06.09.19 um 15:32 schrieb Jonathan Moules:
Hi Till,

Back in July you asked for feedback on the RFP process for 2021 to be put here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Changes_in_RfP_Document_for_2021

I've not seen anything further on this and the suggestions listed (Disclosure: Yes, they're mine) don't appear in the docs.

I'm guess this was an oversight or did I miss a thread?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Re: Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Jonathan Moules-4

>  from someone who has no idea on what basis each individual member ultimately decides than a serious proposal.

Which is exactly the point. No-one knows what the criterion used are, it is a closed system with absolutely no transparency in the critical voting phase. Ironic for an organisation whose name starts with "Open", and the antithesis of the principles behind Open movements.

Or put another way, how do any of us know that people's votes were not influenced by:

* being paid off

* being coerced in some fashion

* having some grudge / interest

etc

To be clear, I have no particular reason to believe any of these things are the case, but given the closed nature of the system, how do we know?

Or less ethically problematic but more likely given the human mind:

* various biases, conscious or otherwise (diversity related, regional, etc)

* Networking effect - "I like who's running this more"

* preferred holiday destination

etc, etc.

Re: Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

stevenfeldman
Jonathan

I think you are the only person on this list expressing these concerns.

Of course we all have “personal biases” but however you try to create a framework for decision making you will introduce some bias, you just might not be aware of it.

The public calls for questions after submission of LoIs and again after Full Proposals allow any interested party (not just the voting members) to question the bidders and to seek to inform/influence the voting members. The system is not “closed"

The system of voting has worked well for a long time and I see no reason to change it.
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

On 12 Sep 2019, at 11:01, Jonathan Moules <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  from someone who has no idea on what basis each individual member ultimately decides than a serious proposal.

Which is exactly the point. No-one knows what the criterion used are, it is a closed system with absolutely no transparency in the critical voting phase. Ironic for an organisation whose name starts with "Open", and the antithesis of the principles behind Open movements.

Or put another way, how do any of us know that people's votes were not influenced by:

* being paid off

* being coerced in some fashion

* having some grudge / interest

etc

To be clear, I have no particular reason to believe any of these things are the case, but given the closed nature of the system, how do we know?

Or less ethically problematic but more likely given the human mind:

* various biases, conscious or otherwise (diversity related, regional, etc)

* Networking effect - "I like who's running this more"

* preferred holiday destination

etc, etc.

Re: Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Till Adams-3

Many thanks for your comments Steven,

I think we are not FIFA, we are OSgeo, and OSgeo works out somehow only if we trust each other.

I have nothing to add and I also see no reason to open a dicsussion again, that was already done ...

Till

Am 12.09.19 um 14:07 schrieb Steven Feldman:
Jonathan

I think you are the only person on this list expressing these concerns.

Of course we all have “personal biases” but however you try to create a framework for decision making you will introduce some bias, you just might not be aware of it.

The public calls for questions after submission of LoIs and again after Full Proposals allow any interested party (not just the voting members) to question the bidders and to seek to inform/influence the voting members. The system is not “closed"

The system of voting has worked well for a long time and I see no reason to change it.
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

On 12 Sep 2019, at 11:01, Jonathan Moules <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  from someone who has no idea on what basis each individual member ultimately decides than a serious proposal.

Which is exactly the point. No-one knows what the criterion used are, it is a closed system with absolutely no transparency in the critical voting phase. Ironic for an organisation whose name starts with "Open", and the antithesis of the principles behind Open movements.

Or put another way, how do any of us know that people's votes were not influenced by:

* being paid off

* being coerced in some fashion

* having some grudge / interest

etc

To be clear, I have no particular reason to believe any of these things are the case, but given the closed nature of the system, how do we know?

Or less ethically problematic but more likely given the human mind:

* various biases, conscious or otherwise (diversity related, regional, etc)

* Networking effect - "I like who's running this more"

* preferred holiday destination

etc, etc.

Re: Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Cameron Shorter

I think that Jonathan's comments about the need for transparency of the selection criteria are valid.

And I think that we have an excellent answer to his question. The Evaluation Criteria is listed in https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/rfp/2021/FOSS4G2021-request-for-proposal.pdf

The provided criteria are only guidelines, and I don't think we can realistically create a perfect selection formula. Instead we need to have a messy selection criteria and trust the judgement of prior FOSS4G chairs (who I think have earned the title of trust-worthy based on the amount of prior hard work they have contributed to a conference.)

Cheers, Cameron

On 2019-09-06 07:32, Till Adams wrote:
Dear Community,

[...]

Technology Demystifier