Angle between segments of a polyline

Rainer M Krug-6

Re: Angle between segments of a polyline

hamish-2
Rainer wrote:
> a friend of mine wants (needs?) to determine the angle
> between segments in an ESRI polyline (line vector feature).
> As there does not seem to be an easy way in ArcGIS 9.2, I
> thought about askeng here:
>
> Is there way of calculating these angles between the
> different line segments in grass?

first split the poly line up into individual segments with
  v.split vertices=1

then upload the slope of each line into the attribute table with
  v.to.db option=azimuth

finally compare the angle between each connecting segments.

Hamish

Re: Angle between segments of a polyline

Rainer M Krug-6

Hi Hamish,

thanks a lot - that sounds reasonably easy - might be another happy
GRASS (ex-ESRI) user?

Cheers,

Rainer

On 30/07/10 10:40, Hamish wrote:

> Rainer wrote:
>> a friend of mine wants (needs?) to determine the angle
>> between segments in an ESRI polyline (line vector feature).
>> As there does not seem to be an easy way in ArcGIS 9.2, I
>> thought about askeng here:
>>
>> Is there way of calculating these angles between the
>> different line segments in grass?
>
> first split the poly line up into individual segments with
>   v.split vertices=1
>
> then upload the slope of each line into the attribute table with
>   v.to.db option=azimuth
>
> finally compare the angle between each connecting segments.
>

> Hamish

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Tel:        +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +27 - (0)8 39 47 90 42
Fax (SA):   +27 - (0)8 65 16 27 82
Fax (D) :   +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
Fax (FR):   +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
email:      [hidden email]

Skype:      RMkrug

Re: Angle between segments of a polyline

Jarek Jasiewicz
Rainer M Krug pisze:

> Hi
>
> a friend of mine wants (needs?) to determine the angle between segments
> in an ESRI polyline (line vector feature). As there does not seem to be
> an easy way in ArcGIS 9.2, I thought about askeng here:
>
> Is there way of calculating these angles between the different line
> segments in grass?

If problem concerns stream network, try to use r.stream.angle exension
J.