Amazon EC2

andrewd
Anyone have any experience running MGOS from an EC2 instance? I'm mainly looking for some rough idea on the cost...though I'd also be interested in knowing if there's a way to store and access MGOS data from S3 via EC2.

Andrew
--
GEMTEC Email Signature
GEMTEC

Andrew DeMerchant

tel: 506.453.1025  /  toll-free: 1.877.243.6832
fax: 506.453.9470

Re: Amazon EC2

Steve Golden
I was interested a while back, but never pursued:

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Mapguide-in-cloud-Amazon-EC2-tp4185365.html

Reading through Jackie's recent post, its definitely doable:

http://themapguyde.blogspot.com/2014/07/govhack-2014-post-mortem.html

See demo:

http://bit.ly/1mKHAPQ

As for storing your data in S3, I think you would have to figure out how to configure your Unmanaged Data Mappings (and/or if using tiles, your tilecache path)on the MapGuide server to access your S3 bucket .  Speaking from experience, I know that you can include UNC or drive paths in your serverconfig.ini configuration (on a Windows machine), but what about the S3 bucket?  Remember, MapGuide is consuming whatever the server has access to.  However, I don't think you can access S3 buckets as a networked drive without a 3rd party application.  I'd be curious what others have found.

Also, see first link above for alternatives to amazon.

-Steve

Re: Amazon EC2

Jackie Ng
My blog post was one of an AWS noobie getting his feet wet in the shallow end of the cloud computing swimming pool. Take that for what it's worth :)

But yes, definitely doable.

- Jackie