Amazon AWS instance size for MapServer

jmorgan3
Hello,

I was curious if anyone has recent experience with Amazon AWS instance
sizes for MapServer. We are looking at a small-scale usage (e.g. 30
users) and 30-50 vector layers served as WMS across the geographic scale
of Florida. For instance, I am comparing t2.medium with 2 virtual CPU's
and 4 GiB of memory verses t2.large with 4 virtual CPUs AND 8 GiB of
memory (see https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/)

J. Derek  Morgan, Ph.D. GISP
Assistant Professor
Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of West Florida
https://uwf.edu/go/gis/

Re: Amazon AWS instance size for MapServer

rgreenwood
You will probably do fine with the smaller instance, but a few things to consider:
* Data from shapefiles not a database.
* A qix index on the shapefiles if > 10k features.
* FastCGI.
* Labeling can be pretty resource intensive so pay attention to them.
* Linux, not Windows, which requires more memory.
* SSD

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Derek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I was curious if anyone has recent experience with Amazon AWS instance sizes for MapServer. We are looking at a small-scale usage (e.g. 30 users) and 30-50 vector layers served as WMS across the geographic scale of Florida. For instance, I am comparing t2.medium with 2 virtual CPU's and 4 GiB of memory verses t2.large with 4 virtual CPUs AND 8 GiB of memory (see https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/)

J. Derek  Morgan, Ph.D. GISP
Assistant Professor
Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of West Florida