Advice on UI approach

peter.rushforth-2

Hi,

I’ve been working on developing a way to process strings templated with attribute name placeholders, when serializing a WFS GetFeature / WMS/WMTS GetFeatureInfo response.

The strings will look like something like this, for example: “This string can contain zero or more attribute ${name} placeholders. The placeholders can be for any ${attribute}, not only name.” .

I want to build a user interface to allow the user to enter the text part of those strings, but to select the attribute names from a list or palette.

Do you have any opinions about what would be a good / appropriate GeoServer way of accomplishing this task?

I was thinking about doing the simplest thing that could possibly work, which seems to me might be similar to how the Proxy Base URL text input works

–allow the user to type the placeholder and other text into the field, maybe with a supporting select of attribute names.

Thank you!

Peter

Re: Advice on UI approach

bradh
Seems like we normally start with freemarker templates, and that might be appropriate in your case. Otherwise its pretty open with what works in terms of Wicket - I don't think that the admin UI is a great source of UX design patterns,  so not a lot of constraints.

One thing that you might want to consider is how the translation into other languages would work. There are a lot of variations out there...

Brad

On 7 Apr. 2021 02:07, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your response.

> Seems like we normally start with freemarker templates, and that might be appropriate in your case.

I did come across that in the docs, and I’ll look into it a bit more, it looks very much like what I should have started with!  It looks like it will be very useful to come up to speed on for my project.

> One thing that you might want to consider is how the translation into other languages would work.

Thanks for that reminder. Does freemarker have a role to play in internationalizing layer content in GeoServer?  How do you provide for > 1 language of content, in general?

Cheers, and thanks,

Peter

Re: Advice on UI approach

Jean Pommier - PI geosolutions

Hi Peter,

Some time ago, I had written a small extension to manage the freemarker templates from the UI. At the time, it did not meet a great success, but I've recently had manifestations of interest from the geOrchestra community, so I'll probably resurrect it, during this spring (when I get a moment for it), and try to make it adopted as community extension.

You might want to have a look: https://github.com/pi-geosolutions/geoserver/tree/2.15.x.template-editor/src/community/template-editor

Doc page https://github.com/pi-geosolutions/geoserver/blob/2.15.x.template-editor/doc/en/user/source/community/template-editor/index.rst

Last time I worked on it, it was GeoServer 2.15, but I don't expect to need a lot of changes to make it work on latest version

Best,

Jean

Jean Pommier -- pi-Geosolutions

Ingénieur, consultant indépendant

Tél. : (+33) 6 09 23 21 36
E-mail : [hidden email]
Web : www.pi-geosolutions.fr

Le 07/04/2021 à 03:39, [hidden email] a écrit :

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your response.

> Seems like we normally start with freemarker templates, and that might be appropriate in your case.

I did come across that in the docs, and I’ll look into it a bit more, it looks very much like what I should have started with!  It looks like it will be very useful to come up to speed on for my project.

> One thing that you might want to consider is how the translation into other languages would work.

Thanks for that reminder. Does freemarker have a role to play in internationalizing layer content in GeoServer?  How do you provide for > 1 language of content, in general?

Cheers, and thanks,

Peter

Re: Advice on UI approach

peter.rushforth-2

Hi Jean,

Thanks for this pointer. Your extension is well-founded and I will give it a try as soon as I am able to put some time into ftl processes.

I am interested in using ftl for GetFeature output (as well as GetFeatureInfo).  Does that seem reasonable or currently possible, even?

I will need to allow users to customize the HTML properties of feature elements output by GetFeature, as well as other characteristics of features, potentially.

Merci beaucoup!