Advice on Mobile Viewer

Greg
I'm looking for a little advice.  People in our organization are clamoring to move to touch devices.  Currently we have a nice application which uses the AJAX viewer and have created the same thing using the Fusion viewer.  We have a very simple mobile version based on Open Layers 2.12 which works well but has no advanced functionality like selection handling.  The server would have to be Windows based.  I have been thinking of a couple of options:

1.  Create a somewhat simplified Fusion application for mobile/touch devices. (I don't know if the latest MGOS version will handle touch events.  We are currently using 2.5.  If it will, please point me in the right direction.  I have searched but haven't found anything yet.)

2.  Use Autodesk IMS 2013 with it's mobile viewer. (We have a license but aren't using it.  Crazy I know but MGOS has met all our needs including the ability to put an entire mapping solution on a laptop and send it into the field without paying for another license.)

Any advice or input is very welcome.

Thanks,

Greg

Re: Advice on Mobile Viewer

Jackie Ng
My advice is to base it on OpenLayers. The latest stable release is already touch-capable

If you install the 2.6 preview release, it comes with some pure-OpenLayers examples, one of which demonstrates selection. These examples all use OpenLayers 2.13 and are touch ready, you just need to apply some responsive design to make such viewers usable for phone and tablet displays.

However, these examples all use new mapagent APIs introduced in 2.6, so they can't exactly be transferred to older versions of MapGuide.

- Jackie

Re: Advice on Mobile Viewer

Mika Lehtonen
Jackie, are you refering into these samples
https://svn.osgeo.org/mapguide/trunk/MgDev/Doc/samples/ol2samples/ ?

- mika -

11.1.2014 5:54, Jackie Ng kirjoitti:

> My advice is to base it on OpenLayers. The latest stable release is already
> touch-capable
>
> If you install the 2.6 preview release, it comes with some pure-OpenLayers
> examples, one of which demonstrates selection. These examples all use
> OpenLayers 2.13 and are touch ready, you just need to apply some responsive
> design to make such viewers usable for phone and tablet displays.
>
> However, these examples all use new mapagent APIs introduced in 2.6, so they
> can't exactly be transferred to older versions of MapGuide.
>
> - Jackie

Re: Advice on Mobile Viewer

Jackie Ng
That's correct.

- Jackie

Re: Advice on Mobile Viewer

Mika Lehtonen
Ok,
is there any 2.6 preview release Windows (64-bit) binaries available?
It seems to need quite a lot of installations and tasks to do if
building it by my own, although it would be a thing I will do at some
point. Just looking for a shortcut for "rapid try-out reasons". Coming
from the MGE/AIMS-world..I have no experience on MGOS.
Of course I could build it in Linux, which I am more familiar with.
That wouldn't probably need so much prior work? Just like to stick to my
workstation in these try-outs and that means Win7 64bit.

- mika -

Jackie Ng kirjoitti 2014-01-13 02:39:

> That's correct.
>
> - Jackie

Re: Advice on Mobile Viewer

Srecko Lipovsek
Hi,
Maybe obsolete answer ...

Did you try: https://github.com/sreckolipovsek/KaliopaMobileViewer

There are some extra functionalities that you can take, like selection in OL map ...