Adding new topic categories

Samin Payrosangari
Dear all,

I want to add some new options for topics to my geonetwork
portal, so that when someone wants to add new metadata he
has more options for topic categories to choose (of course
this should be implemented in facets too). Actually, there
is a possibility to add newly defined categories (such as
"audio", "application", ...) in admin console -->
classification systems-->Category, but no such a setting
for topics (such as "farming", "biota", "inland waters",
...). Is it possible to do this? I have already tried to
add my own topic to gmxCodelists.xml but this seems not to
be enough.

Best,
Samin Payro,
Center for Development Research
University of Bonn

Re: Adding new topic categories

Jose Garcia
Hi Samin

Topic categories are part of iso19139 schema, so will only work with
metadata of that schema. Usually is not a problem, but in case you could
have metadata from different schemas you should be aware.

I would not recommend to use topic categories for this as the values are
defined in the iso19139 xsd:

https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/blob/develop/schemas/iso19139/src/main/plugin/iso19139/schema/gmd/identification.xsd#L287-L314

This means that you can add new values there, but if other catalogues
harvest your metadata, these news values will not be valid in case they use
the official iso19139 xsd to validate the metadata.

In any case if you want to extent this, you need to change previous list
and also the translations in the file (check for other languages if
required):

https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/blob/develop/schemas/iso19139/src/main/plugin/iso19139/loc/eng/codelists.xml#L1702

Regards,
Jose García