Add support to vector data formats for gvSIG Mini - Report 5

Add support to vector data formats for gvSIG Mini - Report 5

Fernando Pinotti
Hi all,

this is my weekly report.

18/05 - 24/06
  • Finished and validated the GPX provider.
  • Made changes on the GPE API to support inmutable geometries.

Problems:

  • None

Work for the next week:

  • Start coding the handler events for KML files
Regards,

Fernando.

Re: Add support to vector data formats for gvSIG Mini -Report 5

Jorge Sanz (gvSIG)
I'm CCing this mail to the TSC mailing list just as a reminder but
please, continue the discussion on gvSIG-devel.

El 24/06/11 15:37, Fernando Pinotti escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> this is my weekly report.
>
> *18/05 - 24/06*
>
>     * Finished and validated the GPX provider.
>     * Made changes on the GPE API to support inmutable geometries.

Maybe others want to see what exactly that thing is? Can you point to
some documentation or revision numbers just in case other GPE experts
are interested.

The important thing (from my point of view) is that if you make any
improvement or change to an existing library you should push it to the
maintainters to see if it can be integrated to avoid a gvSIG mini
branch, isn't it?

> *Problems*:
>
>     * None
>
> *Work for the next week*:
>
>     * Start coding the handler events for KML files
>
> Regards,
>
> Fernando.

ey the gvSIG community is winning another GPE expert :-)

congrats and keep working!!

--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
gvSIG Team at Prodevelop

Re: Add support to vector data formats for gvSIG Mini -Report 5

Alberto Romeu Carrasco
Hi Jorge,

last weeks Fernando told me he was having some problems with the API, so
I studied the problems he was having. I've been discussing some changes
in the API with GPE developers and proposed a solution to the gvSIG
architects. To make the most of the GSoC I told Fernando to make those
changes in the API locally and if they were approved by the gvSIG
architects, then applied them to the GPE trunk with a patch.

I've e-mailed them my proposal in private but I don't know if that was a
good idea. Should we discuss this kind of things on the TSC list? Or
maybe you can point me out which is the procedure to propose a change in
the GPE API...

BTW, yes, Fernando is doing a great work ;)

Regards.

--

Alberto Romeu
---

Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)
Tlf.: 96.351.06.12 -- Fax: 96.351.09.68
http://www.prodevelop.es
---

El 26/06/2011 20:58, Alberto Romeu escribió:

> Hi Jorge,
>
> last weeks Fernando told me he was having some problems with the API, so
> I studied the problems he was having. I've been discussing some changes
> in the API with GPE developers and proposed a solution to the gvSIG
> architects. To make the most of the GSoC I told Fernando to make those
> changes in the API locally and if they were approved by the gvSIG
> architects, then applied them to the GPE trunk with a patch.
>
> I've e-mailed them my proposal in private but I don't know if that was a
> good idea. Should we discuss this kind of things on the TSC list? Or
> maybe you can point me out which is the procedure to propose a change in
> the GPE API...

Ok, I think the best place should be this mailing list (gvSIG-Devel) in
order to let everyone to participate, specially any other people using
GPE at their projects.

Regarding the procedure to contribute a change, those days the TSC is
finishing the contributions document, specifying roles and workflows, so
soon it will be available. Anyway, more or less it always start
submiting a patch with the changes to the gvSIG bugtracker.

> BTW, yes, Fernando is doing a great work ;)

Great, one of the objectives of the GSoC is to let the student to join
the project community, and in the case of Fernando I'm pretty happy with
the results on that specific side so far. Congrats to you for your work
as a mentor also.

Cheers
--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
gvSIG Team at Prodevelop
Technical Collaborations Manager
http://www.gvsig.org
http://www.gvsig.com

Re: Add support to vector data formats for gvSIG Mini -Report 5

Fernando Pinotti
El 25/06/11 09:41, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas escribió:

> I'm CCing this mail to the TSC mailing list just as a reminder but
> please, continue the discussion on gvSIG-devel.
>
> El 24/06/11 15:37, Fernando Pinotti escribió:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this is my weekly report.
>>
>> *18/05 - 24/06*
>>
>>      * Finished and validated the GPX provider.
>>      * Made changes on the GPE API to support inmutable geometries.
>>
> Maybe others want to see what exactly that thing is? Can you point to
> some documentation or revision numbers just in case other GPE experts
> are interested.
>
> The important thing (from my point of view) is that if you make any
> improvement or change to an existing library you should push it to the
> maintainters to see if it can be integrated to avoid a gvSIG mini
> branch, isn't it?
>

>> *Problems*:
>>
>>      * None
>>
>> *Work for the next week*:
>>
>>      * Start coding the handler events for KML files
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Fernando.
> ey the gvSIG community is winning another GPE expert :-)
>
> congrats and keep working!!

Hi,

all the code I'm writing is at
https://svn.prodevelop.es/public/gvsigmini/gvsig_mini_gpe/trunk/, at the
moment there's no documentation, only code.

About contribute the changes in the GPE API, I think it will be
interesting for both projects (gvSIG Mini and Desktop). When I have time
I'll try to write some documentation about it.

Thanks.

Fernando

Re: Add support to vector data formats for gvSIG Mini -Report 5

Jorge Piera Llodrá
Hi Fernando.

Yesterday we were discussing about the changes that you need in the
IGPEContentHandler. We think that it is not a good idea to update the
consumer API, but there is a solution to add the functionality that you
need keeping the current API.

You can create two content handlers: the current IGPEContentHandler and
other content handler with the changes that you proposes. The parsers
(GML, KML, GPX...) have to use the second content handler that you have
created.

You also have to overload the parse methods of the GPEManager with the
new content handler:

public void parse(IGPEContentHandler contents....)

public void parse(NewIGPEContentHandler contents....)

(NewIGPEContentHander is the worst name that you can use, but I've used
it to clarify this explanation).

You have also to create an adapter between the old IGPEContentHalder and
the new one. The implementation of the old "parse" method, creates an
adapter that is used in the parsing process. With this changes, you are
keeping the consumer API, and you are updating only the implementation
of the parsers. If you are agree with this proposal, you could create a
new ticket and attatch a patch to it.

What do you think about it?

Regards,
Jorge.

On 06/27/2011 09:24 PM, Fernando Pinotti wrote:

> El 25/06/11 09:41, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas escribió:
>
>> I'm CCing this mail to the TSC mailing list just as a reminder but
>> please, continue the discussion on gvSIG-devel.
>>
>> El 24/06/11 15:37, Fernando Pinotti escribió:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> this is my weekly report.
>>>
>>> *18/05 - 24/06*
>>>
>>>       * Finished and validated the GPX provider.
>>>       * Made changes on the GPE API to support inmutable geometries.
>>>

>> Maybe others want to see what exactly that thing is? Can you point to
>> some documentation or revision numbers just in case other GPE experts
>> are interested.
>>
>> The important thing (from my point of view) is that if you make any
>> improvement or change to an existing library you should push it to the
>> maintainters to see if it can be integrated to avoid a gvSIG mini
>> branch, isn't it?
>>

>>> *Problems*:
>>>
>>>       * None
>>>
>>> *Work for the next week*:
>>>
>>>       * Start coding the handler events for KML files
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Fernando.
>>>
>> ey the gvSIG community is winning another GPE expert :-)
>>
>> congrats and keep working!!
>>

> Hi,
>
> all the code I'm writing is at
> https://svn.prodevelop.es/public/gvsigmini/gvsig_mini_gpe/trunk/, at the
> moment there's no documentation, only code.
>
> About contribute the changes in the GPE API, I think it will be
> interesting for both projects (gvSIG Mini and Desktop). When I have time
> I'll try to write some documentation about it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Fernando

Jorge Piera Llodrá
gvSIG Development Team
PRODEVELOP
Plaza Don Juan de Villarrasa, 14 - 5
46001 Valencia
Tel: +34 963510612
Fax: +34 963510908
e-mail: [hidden email]
http://www.prodevelop.es
http://www.gvsig.org

Re: Add support to vector data formats for gvSIG Mini -Report 5

Alberto Romeu Carrasco
Hi Jorge,

probably I will perform that changes. I will inform you about my progress.

Regards.

--

Alberto Romeu
---