Add back the possibility to externalize GWC configuration using GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR

Add back the possibility to externalize GWC configuration using GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR

Nuno Oliveira-3
Hi,

The option to externalize GWC configuration using Java property
GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR was removed by this commit:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/commit/a72682bc5f86114dc56ba9d68f19b670da76cd99#diff-5b32e54953013fe49c4405ac132f9d3eR18

Since the documentation has not been updated and I don't remember seeing
any discussion about this change I guess it was just a unfortunate
collateral effect of the resource API refactoring.

In my point of view this is a bug and is correctly reported by this issue:
https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-8004

I made a pull request that fix it, no public APIs have been changed and
the changes are only additive:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/2131

Since this is a fix that brings back a mistakenly removed feature I
would like to have it in the release candidate (and consequently in the
up coming release) otherwise we will have to wait until September to
have this in a release. The changes are relatively small and isolated in
the GWC module with some small changes in the back-restore community
module. I would also like to backport this to 2.10.x and 2.9.x.

Any objections against this to be merged ?

Regards,

Nuno Oliveira

--
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:   +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e/o nel/i file/s allegato/i sono
da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio, per le finalità indicate
nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di darcene notizia via e
-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo
anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of
the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree
June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying,
distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content,
accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Add back the possibility to externalize GWC configuration using GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR

Simone Giannecchini
I am +1 on merging this as this problem can break existing
installations where GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR is used.
And that's pretty bad.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

[...]

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:13 AM, Nuno Oliveira
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying,
> distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
> information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content,
> accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which
> arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Add back the possibility to externalize GWC configuration using GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR

Kevin Smith-3
Did you account for GEOWEBCACHE_CONFIG_DIR as well?  That's the newer
way to specify the config location for GWC independent of the cache
location.  It defaults to GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR for backward compatibility.

Other than that, +1 on including it in the RC.

--
Kevin Michael Smith
<[hidden email]>

Re: Add back the possibility to externalize GWC configuration using GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR

Nuno Oliveira-3
Sorry misunderstood your comment, no I'm no accounting for GEOWEBCACHE_CONFIG_DIR only for GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR.

Let me see if I got this right:

If only GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR is defined both the configuration and the tiles cache should be stored in that directory, this is backward compatible.
If only GEOWEBCACHE_CONFIG_DIR is defined the configuration should be stored in that directory but the tiles cache should use the default location.
If both are defined GEOWEBCACHE_CONFIG_DIR should only contain the configuration and GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR should only contain the tiles cache.
If none of them are defined the default location should be used for both.

Let me see if can fix me current PR.

Thanks for the warning Kevin.

On 02/28/2017 09:00 AM, Nuno Oliveira wrote:
[...]

Pull request:

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/2131

updated to take in account the GEOWEBCACHE_CONFIG_DIR property.

Tests cases were added for this and manually tested the various possibilities and everything seems to be working fine.

Regards,

Nuno Oliveira