Add a point

12

Add a point

ALT SHN
Hello List!

I have a very simple question, in fact it's so simple i never thought of it before!

How can I add a point (in a vector layer) of known coordinates?

For example, I have a layer of points called "Trees" and I want to add a tree wich is located on a given X/Y coordinate. How can I give the coordinate so that the new point is created on the exact location?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

André

Associação Leonel Trindade
SOCIEDADE DE HISTÓRIA NATURAL

Apartado 25 2564-909 Torres Vedras Portugal
Sede e Biblioteca: rua Cavaleiros da Espora Dourada, 27A 2560 Torres Vedras

Laboratório de Paleontologia e Paleoecologia: Polígono Industrial do Alto do Ameal 2565-641 Ramalhal
http://alt-shn.blogspot.com
www.alt-shn.org

RE: Add a point

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hi André,

One solution is as follows (you must have enabled the Numerical Vertex Edit plugin):

- Enter edit mode on the point layer
- Add a point to the approximate coords, fill attributes, if any.
- Use Numerical Vertex Edit plugin
       - Click the newly added point with the red cross cursor
       - Then enter the correct coords
       - Cick ok
- Save edits

Hope this helps,
Benoit

Re: RE: [Qgis-user] Add a point

Giovanni Manghi

You can also add them with the "add delimited text layer" plugin.

On Aug 23, 2010 11:07 AM, "Benoit de Cabissole" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi André,

One solution is as follows (you must have enabled the Numerical Vertex Edit plugin):

- Enter edit mode on the point layer
- Add a point to the approximate coords, fill attributes, if any.
- Use Numerical Vertex Edit plugin
       - Click the newly added point with the red cross cursor
       - Then enter the correct coords
       - Cick ok
- Save edits

Hope this helps,
Benoit

RE: Add a point

Iyappan Lakshmanan
Hello Simple process to add new point

Create new point & Create new layer using delimiter text plugin,
Save layer as shape file, add point layer, go to edit mode add click on copy feature
then go to existing tree layer, edit mode paste it. very simple

--
L.Iyappan M.Tech Remote Sensing
CEO & Founder of Magendhiran Consultancy Services

Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hello List,

I've created a simple plugin that allows to view the structure of a shapefile (X-, Y-coords alongside its attributes) and while at it I've also added the capability to edit the geometry and attributes and save back to the shapefile.

A corollary is that if you want to add a point by typing its coords you can do it with the plugin (as André aka ALT SHN has suggested). You can even create a new shapefile in QGIS and use the plugin to type in coords and attributes or paste them from the clipboard.

Points, lines and polygons shapefiles can be manipulated.

BUT, I feel it is a quite dangerous plugin to release in a public repo because of the potential damages bad edits can do on a shapefile!

I would thus be very grateful if the most intrepid amongst you could test it and give comments on its usefulness...

The plugin is available at the address below:

Cheers,
Benoit

Re: Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin

ALT SHN
Hi Benoit!

This is a great plugin! I tested it on one point shapefile (8003 objects) and all went fine!

Although I understand your concern about making it public, I think it's extremely usefull (at least for me it is) and it would be a shame not to put it on a public repository... Besides it even has a fair documentation, so I think newbies would be ok.

Anyway, great tool! Thanks!

Best Regards,

André

2010/8/24 Benoit de Cabissole <[hidden email]>
[...]

Alister Hood
Thanks for this Benoit; it is fantastic.
We often need to extract the coordinates (and attributes) from a point shapefile, and put them in a spreadsheet.  This was one of two things I still did in a proprietary GIS, but your plugin gives me a much quicker and more straightforward way of doing it.
Have you considered displaying the CRS at the top?

Regards,
Alister

2010/8/24 Benoit de Cabissole <[hidden email]>

>  Hello List,
>
> I've created a simple plugin that allows to view the structure of a
> shapefile (X-, Y-coords alongside its attributes) and while at it I've also
> added the capability to edit the geometry and attributes and save back to
> the shapefile.
>
> A corollary is that if you want to add a point by typing its coords you can
> do it with the plugin (as André aka ALT SHN has suggested). You can even
> create a new shapefile in QGIS and use the plugin to type in coords and
> attributes or paste them from the clipboard.
>
> Points, lines and polygons shapefiles can be manipulated.
>
> BUT, I feel it is a quite dangerous plugin to release in a public repo
> because of the potential damages bad edits can do on a shapefile!
>
> I would thus be very grateful if the most intrepid amongst you could test
> it and give comments on its usefulness...
>
> The plugin is available at the address below:
> http://www.bc-consult.com/free/bccshpv.html
>
> Cheers,
> Benoit

RE: Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hi Alister, André,

Thanks for the response to the plugin.

Alister, a new version (0.0.2) of the plugin is available at the same
address [1] with your CRS suggestion implemented.

[1]  http://www.bc-consult.com/free/bccshpv.html

Cheers,
Benoit

I can't see any problem by contributing it in the QGIS repositories...
maybe tagging it as experimental and adding a warning message when it
starts :)

cheers

-- Giovanni --

RE: Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin

Benoit de Cabissole-2
So be it!

I've added it to the QGIS contributed repo and marked it as experimental.
Its ID is: "Shapefile Structure Viewer and Editor"

Cheers,
Benoit

Borys Jurgiel-2
Dnia czwartek 26 sierpnia 2010 o 11:12:47 Benoit de Cabissole napisał(a):
> So be it!
>
> I've added it to the QGIS contributed repo and marked it as experimental.
> Its ID is: "Shapefile Structure Viewer and Editor"

Great!

I felt the same fear publishing Table Manager, but I've implemented backuping
and fortunately never heard about data loss due to using the plugin :)

RE: Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin

Maxim Dubinin
Benoit,

thanks for very useful plugin, I've started developing something like
this sometime ago, glad I didn't go very far! My idea was to replicate
Arcview GIS 'shape properties' tool that I missed a lot. Let me give
several comment to consider adding to your plugin to make it even
more useful (IMHO of course):

1. Please consider working (or showing) only selected feature(s). It is not of much
use if there are many polygons with many vertexes, you have to scroll
up&down a lot to find needed feature. I can still see that seeing
everythig is useful when you're working with empty layer (adding
features), but a switch 'show only selected feature(s)' would these
both suggestions.
2. Is it possible to shrink row height? May be its Windows, but mine
are extra inflated occupying valuable space. Check this screenshot [1] (first two rows I shrank
manually)
3. It would be really nice if node selected in the table would
highlight in map canvas, thus allowing us to track were are they
exactly.
4. I think 'close' button and little graphic on the left are
unnecessary. I'd add current layer name and its type right in the window
title.
5. It would be nice to able to delete a node(s) as well.
6. Please consider moving 'start|stop editing' functionality to QGIS
itself, so that you'd have to start and stop editing in QGIS, I think
it will be more straightforward.

Thanks again,
Maxim

[1] http://gis-lab.info/images/screenshots/20100826-e65-51kb.jpg

Вы писали 26 августа 2010 г., 3:49:38:

BdC> Hi Alister, André,

BdC> Thanks for the response to the plugin.

BdC> Alister, a new version (0.0.2) of the plugin is available at the same
BdC> address [1] with your CRS suggestion implemented.

BdC> [1]  http://www.bc-consult.com/free/bccshpv.html

BdC> Cheers,
BdC> Benoit

Maxim,

Thanks for the suggestions.
I will work toward implementing them in the next couple of weeks, depending on other priorities.

I've also noticed the row height problem, I'm using default Qt settings, so, some tweaking is required...

Cheers,
Benoit

Hi List,

Following suggestions from Maxim and Joe a new version (0.0.4) of the above plugin is available in the QGIS contributed repo (still under Experimental).
The new features are listed in [1].

Enjoy and comments welcome.
Benoit

[1] http://www.bc-consult.com/free/bccshpv.html#hist

Hi Benoit,
I have found a shape file that causes QGIS 1.5 to crash when I try to
start your plugin.  In the nightly builds it doesn't crash QGIS, but the
plugin fails to start, with the error below.  I am on Windows XP.  I can
send you the shape file if you are interested.

Regards,
Alister

An error has occured while executing Python code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Documents and
Settings/alister.hood/.qgis/python/plugins\bccSHPV\bccSHPV.py", line
193, in cdlgInit
    dialog = cdlgSHPV(self.iface, theLayer, iType, bSelected)
  File "C:/Documents and
Settings/alister.hood/.qgis/python/plugins\bccSHPV\cdlgSHPV.py", line
111, in __init__
    self.DoLine()
  File "C:/Documents and
Settings/alister.hood/.qgis/python/plugins\bccSHPV\cdlgSHPV.py", line
1088, in DoLine
    x    = xm[0]
IndexError: list index out of range

Python version:
2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

QGIS version:
1.6.0-Trunk Trunk, 14191

Python path: ['C:\\Documents and
Settings\\alister.hood\\.qgis\\python\\plugins\\elevation',
'C:/OSGeo4W/apps/qgis-dev/./python', 'C:/Documents and
Settings/alister.hood/.qgis/python', 'C:/Documents and
Settings/alister.hood/.qgis/python/plugins',
'C:/OSGeo4W/apps/qgis-dev/./python/plugins',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\gdal-17\\pymod', 'H:\\',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\bin\\python25.zip', 'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\DLLs',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\lib',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\lib\\plat-win',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\lib\\lib-tk',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\qgis-dev\\bin', 'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\win32',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\win32\\lib',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\Pythonwin',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\wx-2.8-msw-unicode',
'C:\\Documents and
Settings\\alister.hood\\.qgis\\python\\plugins\\cadtools\\tools',
'~/.qgis/python',
'C:\\OSGeo4W\\apps\\qgis-dev\\python\\plugins\\fTools\\tools',
'/usr/share/qgis/python/', '/usr/share/qgis/python/',
'/usr/share/qgis/python']

RE: Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hi Alister,

Interesting. It seems that your shapefile has an empty multipolyline in it
or it contains a line with no point?
If you don't mind, yes, send me that shapefile.

A new version 0.0.5 has been put in the contributed repo that should handle
this case.

I'm developing with the nightly builds (1.6 Trunk in OSGeo4W on XP) so I'm
not so surprised it crashes V1.5 on error.

Thanks for reporting the error.
Benoit

Yes, this file works with 0.0.5 in nightly QGIS (It still crashes 1.5).

Be warned - unless you choose to load a small selection the plugin takes
a long time to load this file, due to the large amount of information in
it :)

Alister

Alister Hood
Consultant

Synergine Group Limited
Unit 105, 23 Edwin Street, Mt Eden
PO Box 8000 Symonds Street
Auckland 1150, New Zealand

Ph: +64 9 631 1777
DDI: +64 9 632 0223
Fax: +64 9 631 0070
Email: [hidden email]

Interesting. It seems that your shapefile has an empty multipolyline in
it
or it contains a line with no point?
If you don't mind, yes, send me that shapefile.

A new version 0.0.5 has been put in the contributed repo that should
handle
this case.

I'm developing with the nightly builds (1.6 Trunk in OSGeo4W on XP) so
I'm
not so surprised it crashes V1.5 on error.

Thanks for reporting the error.
Benoit

Yes, that feature seems to be invalid in the original Mapinfo file too.

Thanks for the warning about multipolylines.

Alister

RE: Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin

Noli Sicad
Hi Benoit,

I am searching for a plugin that calculates the area and perimeter of
polygons of shapefiles and other vector layers e.g. spatialite

I think there is none at the moment, if I am not mistaken.

However, you can get the area and perimeter of the layer using fTools.

Vector-> Geometry tools -> Export / Add Geometry Columns

The resulting exported shapefile has Area and Perimeter columns in the
attribute table.

Probably it would be good to add this feature - Area and perimeter
calculation in your Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin.

Thanks.

Noli

RE: Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin

Benoit de Cabissole-2
Hi Noli,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've thought about it but didn't implement
it because fTools does it already. So why not viewing the shapefile
produced by fTools? Easy and lazy reasoning from my side...
Another advantage of first using fTools to produce this info is that
the file viewed/edited in the plugin is second generation so that if
it gets damaged by the plugin you can safely return to the original
file.

BTW please do not save or save as multipolylines shapefiles, the
structure would get badly damaged! I'm working on a fix at the moment.

Cheers,
Benoit

Sent from my iPod

On 11 Sep 2010, at 3:36, Noli Sicad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Benoit,
>
> I am searching for a plugin that calculates the area and perimeter of
> polygons of shapefiles and other vector layers e.g. spatialite
>
> I think there is none at the moment, if I am not mistaken.
>
> However, you can get the area and perimeter of the layer using fTools.
>
> Vector-> Geometry tools -> Export / Add Geometry Columns
>
> The resulting exported shapefile has Area and Perimeter columns in the
> attribute table.
>
> Probably it would be good to add this feature - Area and perimeter
> calculation in your Shapefile structure viewer and editor plugin.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Noli
12