Add BRIN support for geometry and geography datatypes in PostGIS

Add BRIN support for geometry and geography datatypes in PostGIS

Giuseppe Broccolo
Hello to everybody,

As many of you may know, PostgreSQL has recently introduced in core starting from version 9.5 a new kind
of index, the Block Range INdex (BRIN). It is specifically thought to be used in a big data context, where
the GiST index cannot be easily contained in RAM and cannot be properly used.

We started to add support for geospatial BRIN indexes at last OS Geo code sprint in Paris this February, and
we've finally cleaned up this patch and documentation and just added a pull request on the postgis github
repository (‚Äčhttps://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/106).
Also, we have added a trac issue (https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3591#ticket).

Since it maybe contains some invasive modification, we're willing to discuss any issue or design choice that
may be problematic and hopefully get this feature committed.

As regards, we had also the opportunity to do some benchmarking trying to use the BRIN support for different real cases.
Below you can find some talks made, respectively, at the FOSS4G.NA and at the FOSS4G.UK this year, reporting

Let us know which is the best place where to discuss the patch, if here with the rest of the mailing list people or
within the pull request.

Best regards.
Giuseppe Broccolo, Julien Rouhaud and Ronan Dunklau.

--
Giuseppe Broccolo - 2ndQuadrant Italy
PostgreSQL & PostGIS Training, Services and Support

Re: Add BRIN support for geometry and geography datatypes in PostGIS

Sandro Santilli-4
On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 07:19:14PM +0200, Giuseppe Broccolo wrote:

> Let us know which is the best place where to discuss the patch, if here
> with the rest of the mailing list people or
> within the pull request.

Please keep it on the list.

> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3591#ticket).

Had you considered making the BRIN code available as a separate
extension ? Would it be feasible ?

--strk;

Re: Add BRIN support for geometry and geography datatypes in PostGIS

Julien Rouhaud
On 24/06/2016 21:22, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> Had you considered making the BRIN code available as a separate
> extension ? Would it be feasible ?

Making the BRIN code available as a separate extension could be done,
but it'd require exporting quite some postgis functions.

After a quick check, that'd be at least gserialized_datum_get_box2df_p
and the box2df and gidx predicate functions like box2df_contains,
box2df_within, gidx_contains...

I wonder if it could also cause problems, in case postgis would need to
add the same operators that BRIN support needs.  That'd of course not be
in a near future.

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org