Active development of tilecache

Jo Cook
Dear List,

The company that I work for is an active user of tilecache and have made a minor enhancement to the code that we'd really like an opportunity to contribute back to the core. However from the main website the development status isn't clear, and there isn't an obvious way to contribute. A quick look on github shows a number of forks of the software, all of which are presumably diverging from the core in subtle ways. Furthermore, there are some bits on the main tilecache website that are broken (the demo, the source browser link, the bug tracker, anything that references the old labs.metacarta vmap tiles).

So, I have a couple of questions:
1) How can we contribute the one small enhancement that we have made back to the current source?
2) Could the current source be moved to github? (We used git-svn to create our local repository and it seemed to work very well)
3) Can we fix the broken bits of the website?

I quite understand the notion that tilecache doesn't need any serious improvement as it does what it set out to do, and in the main does it extremely well, but it would be nice if it was possible to contribute a little more easily and ensure that people don't think the project is abandoned.

Thanks

Jo

--
Jo Cook
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK

Re: Active development of tilecache

manel.clos

+1 on this. No new development, but I'd love to have a reference github repository to send little fixes, like Pillow support, etc.

Best,

Manel

Re: Active development of tilecache

Brian Case
hey jo

 i guess i have the lead on tilecache for now, i have been committing
some changes to the svn the last couple of years, and i currently have a
change i am working on now

i just got access to the web page

what fixes do you have? are they to svn? there has been some decent
sized changes in the last couple of years

brian

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 09:51 +0100, Jo Cook wrote:

> Dear List,
>

> The company that I work for is an active user of tilecache and have
> made a minor enhancement to the code that we'd really like an
> opportunity to contribute back to the core. However from the main
> website the development status isn't clear, and there isn't an obvious
> way to contribute. A quick look on github shows a number of forks of
> the software, all of which are presumably diverging from the core in
> subtle ways. Furthermore, there are some bits on the main tilecache
> website that are broken (the demo, the source browser link, the bug
> tracker, anything that references the old labs.metacarta vmap tiles).
>

> So, I have a couple of questions:
> 1) How can we contribute the one small enhancement that we have made
> back to the current source?
> 2) Could the current source be moved to github? (We used git-svn to
> create our local repository and it seemed to work very well)
> 3) Can we fix the broken bits of the website?
>

> I quite understand the notion that tilecache doesn't need any serious
> improvement as it does what it set out to do, and in the main does it
> extremely well, but it would be nice if it was possible to contribute
> a little more easily and ensure that people don't think the project is
> abandoned.
>

> Thanks
>

> Jo
>

> --
> Jo Cook
> Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey,
> KT18 7RL, UK
> t:+44 7930 524 155
> iShare - Data integration and publishing platform

Re: Active development of tilecache

manel.clos
Hi Brian,

I'd love to see Tilecache code in github for easier collaboration.

A quick and easy change I can remember is Pillow support. Only one or a few import lines need to be changed.

I'd also propose to have some documentation on github, like configuration examples for some layer types and how to consume then in OpenLayers / Leaflet.

In the setup side, I'd propose adding more info on WSGI, I personally love running applications in uWSGI, under a virtualenv.

And last but not least, put some more info in the response/logs when a remote server cannot be reached, people always have problems in interpreting that message and also in debugging it.

My two cents :)

Manel Clos
Ajuntament de Girona
Àrea d'Hisenda i Gestió Municipal / Règim Interior
Sistemes i Tecnologies de la Informació
Tel.: 972 419 082
Tel. intern: 1382
A/e: [hidden email] / www.girona.cat
FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER  |  YOUTUBE

 i guess i have the lead on tilecache for now, i have been committing
some changes to the svn the last couple of years, and i currently have a
change i am working on now

i just got access to the web page

what fixes do you have? are they to svn? there has been some decent
sized changes in the last couple of years

brian

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 09:51 +0100, Jo Cook wrote:

> Dear List,
>

> The company that I work for is an active user of tilecache and have
> made a minor enhancement to the code that we'd really like an
> opportunity to contribute back to the core. However from the main
> website the development status isn't clear, and there isn't an obvious
> way to contribute. A quick look on github shows a number of forks of
> the software, all of which are presumably diverging from the core in
> subtle ways. Furthermore, there are some bits on the main tilecache
> website that are broken (the demo, the source browser link, the bug
> tracker, anything that references the old labs.metacarta vmap tiles).
>

> So, I have a couple of questions:
> 1) How can we contribute the one small enhancement that we have made
> back to the current source?
> 2) Could the current source be moved to github? (We used git-svn to
> create our local repository and it seemed to work very well)
> 3) Can we fix the broken bits of the website?
>

> I quite understand the notion that tilecache doesn't need any serious
> improvement as it does what it set out to do, and in the main does it
> extremely well, but it would be nice if it was possible to contribute
> a little more easily and ensure that people don't think the project is
> abandoned.
>

> Thanks
>

> Jo
>

> --
> Jo Cook
> Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey,
> KT18 7RL, UK
> t:+44 7930 524 155
> iShare - Data integration and publishing platform

Re: Active development of tilecache

Gery
Hi Brian,

Nice to see your post and cool that changes/updates are coming for Tilecache. Estoy de acuerdo con Manel! Github sounds a great way to keep updates, SVN sounds to me also a great way to do so. I'd love to see more examples with openlayers, but with cgi instead of wsgi.

Keep the great work up!

Cheers,

Gery

Sent from my iRon

On Sep 26, 2014, at 9:05, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]

> back to the current source?
> 2) Could the current source be moved to github? (We used git-svn to
> create our local repository and it seemed to work very well)
> 3) Can we fix the broken bits of the website?
>

> I quite understand the notion that tilecache doesn't need any serious
> improvement as it does what it set out to do, and in the main does it
> extremely well, but it would be nice if it was possible to contribute
> a little more easily and ensure that people don't think the project is
> abandoned.
>

> Thanks
>

> Jo
>

> --
> Jo Cook
> Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey,
> KT18 7RL, UK
> t:+44 7930 524 155
> iShare - Data integration and publishing platform

Thanks for getting in touch. I see there's now an osgeo github repository for tilecache so we'll fork that and send you a pull request for our change(s). Would that be the best way forward?

Jo