Accompanying .editorconfig with .gitattributes?

Accompanying .editorconfig with .gitattributes?

Mateusz Loskot
Hi,

Since .editorconfig now forces LF/CRLF per file type in the codebase,
wouldn't it be a good idea to add .gitattributes with explicit
eol= specification per file type too?

This would ensure git checkout/commit does not re-convert line endings
differently than as expected by .editorconfig.

Re: Accompanying .editorconfig with .gitattributes?

Regina Obe
I'm fine with that.

+1

I think as long as we don't have SVN in mix anymore that should behave right.

Since .editorconfig now forces LF/CRLF per file type in the codebase, wouldn't it be a good idea to add .gitattributes with explicit eol= specification per file type too?

This would ensure git checkout/commit does not re-convert line endings differently than as expected by .editorconfig.

Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net _______________________________________________

Re: Accompanying .editorconfig with .gitattributes?

Sandro Santilli-4
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 05:56:17PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since .editorconfig now forces LF/CRLF per file type in the codebase,
> wouldn't it be a good idea to add .gitattributes with explicit
> eol= specification per file type too?
>
> This would ensure git checkout/commit does not re-convert line endings
> differently than as expected by .editorconfig.

I still hadn't fully understood .gitattributes but I think with
PostgGIS it was the culprit for the conversion (ie: getting rid of
.gitattributes stopped performing conversions).

On the contrary, .editorconfig only affects *editors*.

Are you seeing automatic conversions on checkout/commit under GEOS ?

--strk;

Re: Accompanying .editorconfig with .gitattributes?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 08/29/2017 05:56 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Since .editorconfig now forces LF/CRLF per file type in the codebase,
> wouldn't it be a good idea to add .gitattributes with explicit
> eol= specification per file type too?
>
> This would ensure git checkout/commit does not re-convert line endings
> differently than as expected by .editorconfig.

Please don't configure eol in .gitattributes, this causing problems for
packagers who use git. The eol option changes the source files to no
longer match what's in the source tarballs causing the buildsystem to
refuse to build the package due to changes to the upstream source.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: Accompanying .editorconfig with .gitattributes?

Regina Obe
Forget my +1 earlier.  -1 one I change to -1 :)

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 05:56:17PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since .editorconfig now forces LF/CRLF per file type in the codebase,
> wouldn't it be a good idea to add .gitattributes with explicit eol=
> specification per file type too?
>
> This would ensure git checkout/commit does not re-convert line endings
> differently than as expected by .editorconfig.

I still hadn't fully understood .gitattributes but I think with PostgGIS it was the culprit for the conversion (ie: getting rid of .gitattributes stopped performing conversions).

On the contrary, .editorconfig only affects *editors*.

Are you seeing automatic conversions on checkout/commit under GEOS ?

--strk;

Re: Accompanying .editorconfig with .gitattributes?

Mateusz Loskot
Ok, dropped

--
Mateusz Łoskot