Accessing images using time dimension.

Dave Weaver
(Apologies if this is a duplicate - I posted on Friday but haven't seen the
message appear on the list, so I'm trying once again...)

I'm having some difficulty displaying images using the WMS TIME=
parameter to select different time periods. I've scoured the
documentation, and although I get the general idea I don't see any
document that explains the basic steps needed to get this working (the
"WMS Time Support" document gives a rough idea, but misses out on some
of the details), so I suspect I've missed something or got something
wrong, but I've no idea what!

This is what I've done:

* I have done the following in Postgis:

 create table satellite (image_path text, image_time timestamp);
 select AddGeometryColumn('satellite', 'the_geom', 4326, 'POLYGON', 2);
 insert into satellite (image_path, image_time, the_geom) values,
'/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/images/sat1.tiff', '2007-05-11 10:00Z',
null);
 insert into satellite (image_path, image_time, the_geom) values
('/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/images/sat2.tiff', '2007-05-11
11:00Z', null);

*  My .map file has (amongst others) these layers:

 LAYER
   NAME            "time_idx"
   TYPE            POLYGON
   STATUS          ON
   CONNECTIONTYPE  POSTGIS
   CONNECTION      "dbname=map host=localhost"
   DATA            "the_geom from satellite using unique oid using srid = 4326"
   METADATA
       "wms_title"         "time index"
       "wms_srs"           "EPSG:4326"
       "wms_timeextent"    "2007-01-01/2007-12-31"
       "wms_timeitem"      "image_time" #a column in postgis table of
type timestamp
       "wms_timedefault"   "2007-05-11T10:00:00Z"
   END
 END

 LAYER
   NAME    "sat"
   METADATA
       "wms_title"         "Satellite"
       "wms_srs"           "EPSG:4326"
       "wms_timeextent"    "2007-01-01/2007-12-31"
       "wms_timeitem"      "image_time" #a column in postgis table of
type timestamp
       "wms_timedefault"   "2007-05-11T10:00:00Z"
   END
   STATUS  ON
   TYPE    RASTER
   PROJECTION
     "init=epsg:4326"
   END
   TILEINDEX "time_idx"        # Layer name containing time index
   TILEITEM  "image_path"      # DB column containing path to image
 END

* The URL I'm using to access the data is:
http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/postgis2.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=world,sat,radar&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=400&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=false&&BBOX=-90,-25,90,85&TIME=2007-05-11T11:00

When I use this URL in my browser I see the underlying vector map
layer, but no satellite image appears.

So...

1) What am I doing wrong (or not doing at all) ?

2) Am I right in thinking the geometry column can be null and the rows
will still be considered, depending on image_time ?

3) Is the duplication of the metadata in the 2 layers above necessary?
I've done it this way because that's what's in the example in the "WMS
Time Support" document, but do I really need to repeat all this
information?

4) How can I debug this - is there some way I can find out *why* it's
not displaying the raster layer? Is there maybe some way to show which
time periods it's considering?

5) Is there some basic HowTo document that explains what I'm trying to
do? (I couldn't find one).

Thanks a lot
Dave.

Re: Accessing images using time dimension.

akrherz
On Mon, 14 May 2007, Dave Weaver wrote:

> 1) What am I doing wrong (or not doing at all) ?

Can the web user that is connecting to the database see your tile table?
May need to grant select to that user?

> 2) Am I right in thinking the geometry column can be null and the rows
> will still be considered, depending on image_time ?

I don't think so, but am not sure.  I insert the actual extent geometry as
well for my working config here.  Can you try that once and see if that
works for you?

daryl

Re: Accessing images using time dimension.

Yewondwossen Assefa-2
Dave Weaver wrote:

> [...]
>    END
>    STATUS  ON
>    TYPE    RASTER
>    PROJECTION
>      "init=epsg:4326"
>    END
>    TILEINDEX "time_idx"        # Layer name containing time index
>    TILEITEM  "image_path"      # DB column containing path to image
>  END
>
> * The URL I'm using to access the data is:
> http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/postgis2.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=world,sat,radar&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=400&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=false&&BBOX=-90,-25,90,85&TIME=2007-05-11T11:00
>
> When I use this URL in my browser I see the underlying vector map
> layer, but no satellite image appears.
>
> So...
>
> 1) What am I doing wrong (or not doing at all) ?

   Do you have your imagery displaying when doing a simple draw map ?
(either a wms getmap or mapserver cgi). This is to make sure that the
tile index and the pg layers are set properly.

> 2) Am I right in thinking the geometry column can be null and the rows
> will still be considered, depending on image_time ?

  I think the geometry needs to be valid, each row of geometry should
normally represent the bbox of the image.

> 3) Is the duplication of the metadata in the 2 layers above necessary?
> I've done it this way because that's what's in the example in the "WMS
> Time Support" document, but do I really need to repeat all this
> information?

  The matadata should only be necessary on the tileindex layer.

> 4) How can I debug this - is there some way I can find out *why* it's
> not displaying the raster layer? Is there maybe some way to show which
> time periods it's considering?

   the wms time in your case ends up setting the filter element on your
postgis layer to something like :
"(date_trunc('minute',image_time) = '2007-05-11T11:00:00')" .
  Assuming that your imagery is displayed without a time request,you can
manually set the filter element and see if that is working.

> 5) Is there some basic HowTo document that explains what I'm trying to
> do? (I couldn't find one).
>
> Thanks a lot
> Dave.

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: [hidden email]
http://www.dmsolutions.ca/

Phone: (613) 565-5056 (ext 14)
Fax:   (613) 565-0925

On 14/05/07, Daryl Herzmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2007, Dave Weaver wrote:
>
> > 1) What am I doing wrong (or not doing at all) ?
>
> Can the web user that is connecting to the database see your tile table?
> May need to grant select to that user?

Database access isn't a problem - the map that's being served up
already takes vector data from a different table in the same database
and displays it fine.

> > 2) Am I right in thinking the geometry column can be null and the rows
> > will still be considered, depending on image_time ?
>
> I don't think so, but am not sure.  I insert the actual extent geometry as
> well for my working config here.  Can you try that once and see if that
> works for you?

I changed my satellite table thus:

insert into satellite (image_path, image_time, the_geom) values
('/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/images/sat2.tiff', '2007-05-11
11:00Z', GeomFromText('POLYGON((-31.82 75.55, -31.82 26.5, 51.31 26.5,
51.31 75.55, -31.82 75.55))', 4326));

with no change to the output (i.e. still get the base vector map, but
no satellite image).

Is that the correct geometry specification for an image with a
top-left at 31.82W 75.55N  and a bottom right at 51.31E 26.5N ?  Is
there a better way of specifying it?

This is frustrating because i can't tell where I'm going wrong -
geometry, time, or some other bit.

Thanks for the input,
Dave.

On 15/05/07, Yewondwossen Assefa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dave Weaver wrote:
> >
> > 1) What am I doing wrong (or not doing at all) ?
> >
>    Do you have your imagery displaying when doing a simple draw map ?
> (either a wms getmap or mapserver cgi). This is to make sure that the
> tile index and the pg layers are set properly.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean by a simple draw map.

My current attempted access is via this WMS GetMap call:

http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/postgis2.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&amp;amp;LAYERS=world,sat,radar&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=400&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=false&&amp;amp;BBOX=-90,-25,90,85&TIME=2007-05-11T11:00

How do I simplify it to test the tile index and pg layers as you suggest?

> > 2) Am I right in thinking the geometry column can be null and the rows
> > will still be considered, depending on image_time ?
> >
>   I think the geometry needs to be valid, each row of geometry should
> normally represent the bbox of the image.

Fair enough. I've tried adding a proper geometry (see my other email in this
thread) to no noticeable effect.

> > 3) Is the duplication of the metadata in the 2 layers above necessary?
> > I've done it this way because that's what's in the example in the "WMS
> > Time Support" document, but do I really need to repeat all this
> > information?
> >
>   The matadata should only be necessary on the tileindex layer.

Makes sense. It would be nice if  the example I mentioned above was adjusted
appropriately then :-)

> > 4) How can I debug this - is there some way I can find out *why* it's
> > not displaying the raster layer? Is there maybe some way to show which
> > time periods it's considering?
>
>    the wms time in your case ends up setting the filter element on your
> postgis layer to something like :
> "(date_trunc('minute',image_time) = '2007-05-11T11:00:00')" .
>   Assuming that your imagery is displayed without a time request,you can
> manually set the filter element and see if that is working.

It seems unusal to me that there is no logged information from mapserver to
help track down issues like this. I tried adding the "DEBUG ON"  directive
to my map file and specifed a LOG location, but I still see no log.  I
rebuilt following a "./configure [....] --with-debug" and still see no log
file. Most frustrating!  Perhaps I did something wrong there - I will
investigate further.

Dave Weaver wrote:

> On 15/05/07, Yewondwossen Assefa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dave Weaver wrote:
>>> 1) What am I doing wrong (or not doing at all) ?
>>>
>>    Do you have your imagery displaying when doing a simple draw map ?
>> (either a wms getmap or mapserver cgi). This is to make sure that the
>> tile index and the pg layers are set properly.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean by a simple draw map.

  All I meant was you can use mapserver cgi and do something like :
http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/postgis2.map&mode=map&layers=sat

  WMS get map is also valid but just trying to keep it simple and see if
the map draws with your rasters.

> My current attempted access is via this WMS GetMap call:
>
> http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/postgis2.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&amp;amp;LAYERS=world,sat,radar&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=400&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=false&&amp;amp;BBOX=-90,-25,90,85&TIME=2007-05-11T11:00
>
> How do I simplify it to test the tile index and pg layers as you suggest?

Most of the time I have used postgis layers, I start by importing data
from a shape file. From the postings you have sent, maybe there is a
problem with your postgis layer. How about creating your tiles with
tile4ms (creates a shape file), see if that works in your map file and
then import the shape file in postgis ?

>>> 2) Am I right in thinking the geometry column can be null and the rows
>>> will still be considered, depending on image_time ?
>>>
>>   I think the geometry needs to be valid, each row of geometry should
>> normally represent the bbox of the image.
>
> Fair enough. I've tried adding a proper geometry (see my other email in this
> thread) to no noticeable effect.
>
>>> 3) Is the duplication of the metadata in the 2 layers above necessary?
>>> I've done it this way because that's what's in the example in the "WMS
>>> Time Support" document, but do I really need to repeat all this
>>> information?
>>>
>>   The matadata should only be necessary on the tileindex layer.
>
> Makes sense. It would be nice if  the example I mentioned above was adjusted
> appropriately then :-)

  I have added a not to the documentation regarding this.

>>> 4) How can I debug this - is there some way I can find out *why* it's
>>> not displaying the raster layer? Is there maybe some way to show which
>>> time periods it's considering?
>>    the wms time in your case ends up setting the filter element on your
>> postgis layer to something like :
>> "(date_trunc('minute',image_time) = '2007-05-11T11:00:00')" .
>>   Assuming that your imagery is displayed without a time request,you can
>> manually set the filter element and see if that is working.
>

> It seems unusal to me that there is no logged information from mapserver to
> help track down issues like this. I tried adding the "DEBUG ON"  directive
> to my map file and specifed a LOG location, but I still see no log.  I
> rebuilt following a "./configure [....] --with-debug" and still see no log
> file. Most frustrating!  Perhaps I did something wrong there - I will
> investigate further.
>
>>> 5) Is there some basic HowTo document that explains what I'm trying to
>>> do? (I couldn't find one).
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot
>>> Dave.
>>>

>> --
>> Assefa Yewondwossen
>> Software Analyst
>>
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> http://www.dmsolutions.ca/
>>
>> Phone: (613) 565-5056 (ext 14)
>> Fax:   (613) 565-0925

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: [hidden email]
http://www.dmsolutions.ca/

Phone: (613) 565-5056 (ext 14)
Fax:   (613) 565-0925

On 16/05/07, Yewondwossen Assefa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave Weaver wrote:
> >>>
> >>    Do you have your imagery displaying when doing a simple draw map ?
> >> (either a wms getmap or mapserver cgi). This is to make sure that the
> >> tile index and the pg layers are set properly.
> >
> > Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean by a simple draw map.
> >
>   All I meant was you can use mapserver cgi and do something like :

http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/postgis2.map&mode=map&layers=sat

>   WMS get map is also valid but just trying to keep it simple and see if
> the map draws with your rasters.

OK. Having done that I can see my raster image (see below).

> >>   The matadata should only be necessary on the tileindex layer.
> >
> > Makes sense. It would be nice if  the example I mentioned above was adjusted
> > appropriately then :-)
> >
>   I have added a not to the documentation regarding this.

Hmm - the note you added contradicts what you said above.
The note says the metadata's needed on the raster layer, but above you say
it's only
necessary on the tileindex layer...

Interestingly, when I removed the metadata section from the raster layer, I
could suddenly see my raster image. From a little experimentation it turns out
that if both wms_timextent and wms_timeitem are given, my raster layer doesn't
display. Leave either of those out and it's fine.

However, it's still just displaying one of the images - the TIME= WMS parameter
is having no effect on the image displayed.  I have 2 images in my postgis
table, as follows, but only the one is ever displayed.  It is not the one
specified by the wms_timedefault entry, either. I get the same image with or
without the TIME= parameter.

If I use the simple query, as you suggested above (rather than the WMS one),
and set the FILTER in the tileindex layer, I see whichever image that matches
the filter.

Any ideas on how I can track this problem down further?

Thanks,
Dave.

On 18/05/07, Yewondwossen Assefa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Regarding the wms_time* parameters, they are only needed on the raster
> layer so the doc is good.

Ah ok. My mapfile has been adjusted appropriately (with no obvious effect).

>   do you build mapserver yourself ? if that is the case, you could add
> the folowing lines at the end of function msWMSGetMap in mapwms.c

  --- <snip> ---
Done.

>   If the map is in debug mode and that the web element imagepath is set
> properly, this will generate the map resulting map file after all wms
> parameters are treated.  This will allow you to see if/what is the
> FILTER element that is set re. your time request.
>
> Let me know, and If this helps and I will add this to mapserver repository.

Well it generated a map file (2 actually, identical apart from filename)
with a lot more information in it than my original. These are the relevant
layers from this bigger map file:

  LAYER
      METADATA
        "wms_timeextent"        "2007-01-01/2007-12-31"
        "wms_timedefault"       "2007-05-11T11:00:00Z"
        "wms_title"     "Satellite"
      END
    NAME "sat"
    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:4326"
    END
    SIZEUNITS PIXELS
    STATUS ON
    TILEINDEX "time_idx"
    TILEITEM "image_path"
    TOLERANCEUNITS PIXELS
    TYPE RASTER
    UNITS METERS
  END

  LAYER
    CONNECTION "dbname=map host=localhost"
    CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
    DATA "the_geom from satellite using unique oid using srid = 4326"
      METADATA
        "wms_srs"       "EPSG:4326"
        "wms_timeitem"  "image_time"
        "wms_title"     "time_index"
      END
    NAME "time_idx"
    SIZEUNITS PIXELS
    STATUS OFF
    TOLERANCEUNITS PIXELS
    TYPE POLYGON
    UNITS METERS
  END

As you can see there was no FILTER element anywhere.
 I'm a bit stuck as to what to look at next...

To summarise where things are right now:
My relevant layers are defined thus:

  LAYER
    NAME    "time_idx"
    TYPE    POLYGON
    STATUS    ON
#    FILTER "(date_trunc('minute',image_time) = '2007-05-11T11:00:00')"
[...]

There are 2 images in the satellite table:

map=> select image_path, image_time from satellite;
                     image_path                      |     image_time
-----------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 /home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/images/sat2.tiff      | 2007-05-11 11:00:00
 /home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/images/yesterday.tiff | 2007-05-11 10:00:00
(2 rows)

and my URL looks like this:

http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/time.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=world,sat&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=400&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=false&BBOX=-90,-25,90,85&TIME=2007-05-11T11:00

However, despite both the TIME in the URL and the wms_timedefault values
showing 11:00, I can only ever see the 10:00 image

If I use this URL instead:

http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/time.map&mode=map&layers=sat

And enable the FILTER line in the time_idx layer to select the 11:00 image,
 I can see it. I just can't seem to get it working using a WMS request. Most
frustrating!

Dave.

On 23/05/07, Dave Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> and my URL looks like this:
>
>http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/time.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&amp;LAYERS=world,sat&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=400&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=false&BBOX=-90,-25,90,85&TIME=2007-05-11T11:00
>
> However, despite both the TIME in the URL and the wms_timedefault values
> showing 11:00, I can only ever see the 10:00 image
>
> If I use this URL instead:

http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/home/map/fgs/www/htdocs/maps/time.map&mode=map&layers=sat

> And enable the FILTER line in the time_idx layer to select the 11:00 image,
>  I can see it. I just can't seem to get it working using a WMS request. Most
> frustrating!

Seeing as I was building mapserver from source anyway, I resorted to putting
extra debug output in mapwms.c, and  I can now see the problems.

1. msWMSApplyTime() is only applying the time if the relevant layer is ON or
DEFAULT - because my URL wasn't specifying the time_index layer in the
LAYERS= parameter, this layer was being ignored here.

2. msWMSApplyTime() seems to want both the wms_timeitem and wms_timeextent
itmes in the same layer, however the impression I got from previous replies
in this thread was that wms_timeitem was in the time_index layer, and
wms_timeextent should be in the RASTER layer.

Putting these things together, I added time_index to the LAYERS parameter of
the URL and moved the wms_timeextent and wms_timedefault items back to the
time_index layer, and now it seems to work.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Or am I making multiple errors that are
cancelling each other out?

Thanks,
Dave.

Re: Accessing images using time dimension.

rai_1000
Hello dave,

Can you post your map file with an example of url? I have the same problem and I tried a lot of configurations with no success, also with mapserver & postgresql logging.

thanks!