Academic reflection on open source software in geomatics | FOSS4GeoEducation

Academic reflection on open source software in geomatics | FOSS4GeoEducation

Maelle Vercauteren
Dear all,

Here's, a link to the survey regarding the use of free vs proprietary geomatic softwares in our Belgian universities [1].
Unfortunately a few Universities haven't replied (yet ?).

It's hard to draw any conclusions from this table. Essentially all groups make use of both the free and the proprietary version of the softwares for their research (ex. everyone uses QGIS & ArcGIS).
Regarding teaching, things are pretty similar although some Universities seem to focus only on either the free or the proprietary version.

If you are motivated to meet each other before the event and discuss about our Educational session “FOSS4GeoEducation”, here is the link to choose a date [2]

If not, OSGeo.be will simply send a global call for proposals for FOSS4G.be (with special attention to the presentation in the field) and we will discuss it there during this session.

All the best,
Maë//e

[1] https://framacalc.org/=FOSS4G_University_2017

[2] https://framadate.org/xPSyfSXqi4rBia14sV7VKFMc/admin

Hello,

As you know, we launched an academic reflection and interuniversity teaching on open source software in geomatics.

A first f2f meeting took place on February 16, 2017 and you can find here the minutes with the actions that we intend to carry out [1]

For information, a next face-to-face meeting is planned for June / August or September at the ULB (Solbosch campus).
The idea is to organize a Hackathon and to finalize the program of a special session "FOOS4GeoEducation" at FOSS4G.be 2017, which will take place on Thursday 26th October. (! Save the date !)
Thank you for relaying the information to people who might be interested in the initiative and to note your availability regarding the choice of time and date. [2]

If you would like to give your opinion and / or be kept informed of the discussions that will be carried out and the activities that the reflection plans to implement, you can let us know.

Kind Regards,

Moritz and Maë//e

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Belgium/FOSS4GEducation

[2] https://framadate.org/xPSyfSXqi4rBia14

Dear all,

We would like to launch an academic and pedagogical reflection between universities on open source software in geomatics.

Some people have already given enthusiastic feedback, so we decided to set a date to meet on Thursday February 16 at 10 am in ULB (local DC6.121 (6th floor of Building D, Solbosch campus) : https://www.ulb.ac.be/campus/solbosch/plan-D.html

It would be a first preparatory meeting with academic people from UGent, VUB, ULB, Ulg-Arlon, UNamur en UCL.

Do not hesitate to circulate the information to your contacts who would be interested.

The organization of the reflection and the objectives will depend strongly on the feedbacks. The idea is to arrive at a concrete reflection for the FOSS4G.be 2017.

On this topic, there are several subjects that we hold dear to the OSGeo.be and the ULB... they are (in disorder):

- to organize a special "GIS education" session at the next foss4g.be and discuss its content together.

- to have exchanges of experience throughout the year on this theme (2-3 meetings / year)

- to fit into the existing efforts of Geo4all en/or Copernicus Academy Network

- to share teaching materials and discuss the setting up of a web platform where everyone could deposit his material

- to create material with Belgian data which would therefore speak more particularly to students (and which would allow to highlight Belgian open data)

There are at least 5 subjects that are quite large, but look stimulating and that we can talk more concretely about during the meeting.

If you already want to write us your suggestions, do not hesitate.

After the meeting, if the feedback is positive, we wil circulate a discussion paper about the implementation of this project in the general mailinglist !

It is our pleasure to soon be able to discuss these topics,

Moritz en Maë//e

--
Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles -
IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)

Campus du Solbosch
Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143

--
Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles -
IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)

Campus du Solbosch
Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143

--
Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles -
IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)

Campus du Solbosch
Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143

Re: Academic reflection on open source software in geomatics | FOSS4GeoEducation

Maelle Vercauteren
Hello everyone,
For your information, the results of the survey  are available on line and editable so you are able to supplement the information [1].

Sadly until now we did not receive any answer from the following Universities: UMons, UNamur, Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech, UAntwerpen and UGent. They still may send us their answers even if they would not use free softwares !

We are sincerely grateful to the 5 Universities (ULB, KULeuven, VUB, UCL and ULg) which already answered.

With their returns, we have already some encouraging and interesting tracks that we can deduce:
From a research point of view:  R software is used in all these Belgian universities (ULB, KULeuven, VUB, UCL and ULg). With the exception of the VUB, they all also use PostGIS (PostgreSQL, PgAdmin ... ) and  the Grass software. The QGIS software is used in all the research groups of these universities (about 105 researchers)!

On the teaching side: QGIS is taught in all these universities. These courses cover about 720 students.
Among these courses several teaching materials are developed and already accessible freely on the Internet (see Academic Section Tab).

If some of you want to go further in analyzing the answers we already received, I invite you to send your comments by writing (to all)  and / or by giving your availabilities for a face-to-face meeting in order to set a date [2].

All the best, Maë//e

--
Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles -
IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)

Campus du Solbosch
Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143

Re: Academic reflection on open source software in geomatics | FOSS4GeoEducation

Maelle Vercauteren
Dear all,

To have keynote speakers in our "FOSS4GeoEducation" track, I would contact

the authors of this interesting paper "FOSS Tools and Applications for Education in Geospatial Sciences" : http://www.mdpi.com/2220-9964/6/7/225

& Suchith Anand (from Nottingham, UK), who is the main driving force behind Geo4all : https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Sanand

Is that OK for you ?

And if I get no answer, I will send the mail on Monday.

Don't hesitate to tell us if you want to ask other people or send us any suggestion.

Cheers, Maë//e

Hello everyone,
For your information, the results of the survey  are available on line and editable so you are able to supplement the information [1].

Sadly until now we did not receive any answer from the following Universities: UMons, UNamur, Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech, UAntwerpen and UGent. They still may send us their answers even if they would not use free softwares !

We are sincerely grateful to the 5 Universities (ULB, KULeuven, VUB, UCL and ULg) which already answered.

With their returns, we have already some encouraging and interesting tracks that we can deduce:
From a research point of view:  R software is used in all these Belgian universities (ULB, KULeuven, VUB, UCL and ULg). With the exception of the VUB, they all also use PostGIS (PostgreSQL, PgAdmin ... ) and  the Grass software. The QGIS software is used in all the research groups of these universities (about 105 researchers)!