About presentation at GWF-2017

12

About presentation at GWF-2017

Venkatesh Raghavan
Dear Board,

I have a speaking engagement at GWF-2017
coming up next week in Hyderabad, India.
I am supposed to present the OSGeo perspective
at the session entitled "SUSTAINING A COLLABORATIVE INDUSTRY
ENGAGEMENT MODEL"

The main discussion points are as below;

a) Academia – Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
university and industry? Any known success stories?

Any inputs from your side is welcome. Also looking for
major success stories that could be highlighted.

I will also be attending FOSS4G-Asia just after GWF-2017. I
will miss the next board meeting flight on 2 Feb., 2017

Best

Venka

Re: About presentation at GWF-2017

jody.garnett
That sounds fun:

A) whoever has the budget commitment ... this is about sustainability right :)
B) like how financial support was assumed, call them on that ... From an OSGeo perspective both academia and industry can collaborate on software, as enabled by selection of open source licence and appropriate governance structure (so think partnership rather than "lead" as in (a) above
C) what is conservative with respect to commercialization? Like they want to keep it close and use patents to treat industry like a profit Center (hard to argue against if that is institution policy) or they want low risk of having a vendor (easy to argue against)
D) ...

What are your plans for FOSS4G Asia? Are you speaking, are your travel plans covered, etc...
On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jody Garnett

R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Maria Antonia Brovelli
Dear Venka
I have a EU project (gicases), where Dirk is also involved, about co-creation of knowledge between academy and enterprises. This is the website
http://www.gicases.eu/
We are using open source software for collaboration and the project is specifically on GIS, even if it could be extended in other domain.
In the past we had similar experiences of co-creative education.
Another example can be the UN OpenGIS project where Academia (GeoGorAll) and Companies (and Public Agencies as well) are collaborating all together.
I agree with Jody that the available budget matters and weigths both on academia and company side.
Then, in my opinion,  academia should deal more with new solutions and prototypes than to commercializing standard tools.
The problem is that very often academia is poor (there are few funds) and people have you do everything to let young PhDs or research assistents to be paid... But this is an old history that you know well.
Best!
Maria

Inviato dal mio dispositivo Samsung

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Venkatesh Raghavan
Dear Maria and Jody,

Thanks for your feedback.
I will incorporate some of the points in my presentation.
> Da: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> Data: 16/01/17 02:32 (GMT+01:00)
> A: Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]>, OSGeo-Board <[hidden email]>
> Oggetto: Re: [Board] About presentation at GWF-2017
>

> What are your plans for FOSS4G Asia? Are you speaking, are your travel plans covered, etc...

I will be doing keynote and presentations at FOSS4G-Asia
after GWF.

Title of Keynote as below;
"The OSGeo Foundation goes "Up to eleven": Recollection and Perspectives"

Can some one share editable version of recent presentation especially
showing our sponsors and MoU status. I would like to use it in the
above presentation.

My international travel and participation at GWF-2017 is
supported by the organizers. I may need support from OSGeo to
cover local expenses for the duration of FOSS4G-Asia (26-29 Jan., 2017).
I will report of any expenses not covered from other sources and seek
board approval from reimbursement after I return from the conference.

Best

Venka

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Dear Board,
>
> I have a speaking engagement at GWF-2017
> coming up next week in Hyderabad, India.
> I am supposed to present the OSGeo perspective
> at the session entitled "SUSTAINING A COLLABORATIVE INDUSTRY
> ENGAGEMENT MODEL"
>
> The main discussion points are as below;
>
> a) Academia - Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
> b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
> industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
> c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
> commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
> d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
> university and industry? Any known success stories?
>
> Any inputs from your side is welcome. Also looking for
> major success stories that could be highlighted.
>
> I will also be attending FOSS4G-Asia just after GWF-2017. I
> will miss the next board meeting flight on 2 Feb., 2017
>
> Best
>
> Venka

> Jody Garnett

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Maria Antonia Brovelli

Do you need Dirk and I  prepare a couple of slides about the common project we have?

Maria

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.htmlBoard of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board

Sol Katz Award 2015

P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)

Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  [hidden email][hidden email]

I will incorporate some of the points in my presentation.
> Da: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> Data: 16/01/17 02:32 (GMT+01:00)
> A: Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]>, OSGeo-Board <[hidden email]>
> Oggetto: Re: [Board] About presentation at GWF-2017
>

> What are your plans for FOSS4G Asia? Are you speaking, are your travel plans covered, etc...

I will be doing keynote and presentations at FOSS4G-Asia
after GWF.

Title of Keynote as below;
"The OSGeo Foundation goes "Up to eleven": Recollection and Perspectives"

Can some one share editable version of recent presentation especially
showing our sponsors and MoU status. I would like to use it in the
above presentation.

My international travel and participation at GWF-2017 is
supported by the organizers. I may need support from OSGeo to
cover local expenses for the duration of FOSS4G-Asia (26-29 Jan., 2017).
I will report of any expenses not covered from other sources and seek
board approval from reimbursement after I return from the conference.

Best

Venka

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Dear Board,
>
> I have a speaking engagement at GWF-2017
> coming up next week in Hyderabad, India.
> I am supposed to present the OSGeo perspective
> at the session entitled "SUSTAINING A COLLABORATIVE INDUSTRY
> ENGAGEMENT MODEL"
>
> The main discussion points are as below;
>
> a) Academia - Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
> b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
> industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
> c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
> commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
> d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
> university and industry? Any known success stories?
>
> Any inputs from your side is welcome. Also looking for
> major success stories that could be highlighted.
>
> I will also be attending FOSS4G-Asia just after GWF-2017. I
> will miss the next board meeting flight on 2 Feb., 2017
>
> Best
>
> Venka

> Jody Garnett

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Helena Mitasova-7
Venka,

I am working on a “portal” wiki page for MoUs showing them sorted out as active, in preparation, and past
and then among active we have some new (AGILE, GSDI) and updates (ICA) which are approved but
are waiting for an occasion where a hardcopy can be signed.

For now, you can find all MoUs here
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:MoU

Helena

> On Jan 19, 2017, at 2:11 AM, Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Maria and Jody,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
> I will incorporate some of the points in my presentation.
>> Da: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
>> Data: 16/01/17 02:32 (GMT+01:00)
>> A: Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]>, OSGeo-Board <[hidden email]>
>> Oggetto: Re: [Board] About presentation at GWF-2017
>>

>> What are your plans for FOSS4G Asia? Are you speaking, are your travel plans covered, etc...
>
> I will be doing keynote and presentations at FOSS4G-Asia
> after GWF.
>
> Title of Keynote as below;
> "The OSGeo Foundation goes "Up to eleven": Recollection and Perspectives"
>
> Can some one share editable version of recent presentation especially
> showing our sponsors and MoU status. I would like to use it in the
> above presentation.
>
> My international travel and participation at GWF-2017 is
> supported by the organizers. I may need support from OSGeo to
> cover local expenses for the duration of FOSS4G-Asia (26-29 Jan., 2017).
> I will report of any expenses not covered from other sources and seek
> board approval from reimbursement after I return from the conference.
>
> Best
>
> Venka
>
>> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Dear Board,
>>
>> I have a speaking engagement at GWF-2017
>> coming up next week in Hyderabad, India.
>> I am supposed to present the OSGeo perspective
>> at the session entitled "SUSTAINING A COLLABORATIVE INDUSTRY
>> ENGAGEMENT MODEL"
>>
>> The main discussion points are as below;
>>
>> a) Academia - Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
>> b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
>> industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
>> c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
>> commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
>> d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
>> university and industry? Any known success stories?
>>
>> Any inputs from your side is welcome. Also looking for
>> major success stories that could be highlighted.
>>
>> I will also be attending FOSS4G-Asia just after GWF-2017. I
>> will miss the next board meeting flight on 2 Feb., 2017
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka

>> Jody Garnett

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
and Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
[hidden email]
http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Venkatesh Raghavan
Hi Maria-san

On 2017/01/19 19:52, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:
> Do you need Dirk and I  prepare a couple of slides about the common project we have?

Thanks, please send me your presentation.

Best

Venka

> Maria

> Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
> Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
> Politecnico di Milano
>
> ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board
>
> Sol Katz Award 2015
>
> P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
> Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
>

> ________________________________

dirkf
Tommorow I will have some time to prepare these ,but I will be off-line
most of the time, as I am travelling to GWF in hyderabad.
I will be online again on Sunday morning.

Dirk.

On 20-01-17 10:29, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:

> Dear Venka, Dirk is preparing a couple of slides about gi-cases. Thanks
> for that!
>
> Maria
>

> *----------------------------------------------------*
> *Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli*
> Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
> Politecnico di Milano
> **
>
> ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud
> mapping (C3M)" http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board
> of Directors of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa
> Challenge; SIFET Advisory Board
>

> *SolKatzAward2015*
>

> P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
>
> Tel. +39-02-23996242 -
> Mob.+39-328-0023867,  <mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

dirkf
Hi Venka,

Here some slides from the presentation I gave on the final conference of
the GI Need To Know project[1]about the Gi-Cases project[2]

To give an answer on your other questions:

a) Academia – Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
both have a responsibility. Of course I follow the argument of Jody that
whoever is doing something should guarantee the resources, but in
general both actors have to play a role.
Research related activities should be initiated by the academia,
applying the research into good practises is work for the industry.
See also the Gi-Cases project for an example where both parties should
benifit from co-creation of knowledge.

b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
In a fast changing world, industry needs capacity that is ready for
these new challenges. Bridging the gap between the need in the market
and the 'preparation' of the knowledge by the academia results in more
efficient services.

c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
Think not in terms of commercialisation, but in terms of respecting each
others work. Patents and protection programs are an invention to let
investors in new idea's give the opportunity to earn there money back.
In a world of co-creation, we should think of other ways to respect te
work some parties have done and can be re-used by others.

d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
university and industry? Any known success stories?
Based on the (osgeo-) community experience we have, it should be
possible to try out some partnerships where a good strategy is worked
out, so that software components can build upon the existing open source
projects, and extend them, where specific - still to be protected
inventions by the classical model - are being integrated in these
projects. This can be achieved with a dual license type of action.
You can Rasdaman as an example, with pro's and contra's in the executing...

My2c
Dirk

[1] http://www.gi-n2k.eu/
[2] http://www.gicases.eu/the-project/

On 20-01-17 10:21, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> Hi Maria-san
>
> On 2017/01/19 19:52, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:
>> Do you need Dirk and I  prepare a couple of slides about the common
>> project we have?
>
> Thanks, please send me your presentation.
>
> Best
>
> Venka
>

>> Maria

>> Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
>> Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
>> Politecnico di Milano
>>
>> ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)"
>> http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors
>> of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge;
>> SIFET Advisory Board
>>
>> Sol Katz Award 2015
>>
>> P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
>> Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,
>> <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
>>

>> ________________________________

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

GiCases - GWF - Panel.odp (237K) Download Attachment
GiCases - GWF - Panel.pdf (165K) Download Attachment

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
Dear Dirk,

Thanks for your inputs.
Look forward to seeing you
on 23 Jan. at GWF-2017.

Best

Venka

On 1/22/2017 1:37 PM, Dirk Frigne wrote:

> [...]
>> Hi Maria-san
>>
>> On 2017/01/19 19:52, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote:
>>> Do you need Dirk and I  prepare a couple of slides about the common
>>> project we have?
>>
>> Thanks, please send me your presentation.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka
>>

>>> Maria

>>> Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
>>> Professor of GIS and Remote Sensing
>>> Politecnico di Milano
>>>
>>> ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)"
>>> http://www2.isprs.org/commissions/comm4/wg4.html, Board of Directors
>>> of OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge;
>>> SIFET Advisory Board
>>>
>>> Sol Katz Award 2015
>>>
>>> P.zza Leonardo da Vinci, 32 - Building 3 - 20133 Milano (Italy)
>>> Tel. +39-02-23996242 - Mob. +39-328-0023867,

#TessieIsaFisch is travelling with me from Slvakia and FOSS4G Romania.
Can you hand him over to FOSS4G India, and the try to find a way to get
hem on the FOSS4G conference in Paris before he goes to Boston?

cu tommorow.

Dirk

On 22-01-17 10:58, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> Dear Dirk,
>
> Thanks for your inputs.
> Look forward to seeing you
> on 23 Jan. at GWF-2017.
>
> Best
>
> Venka
>
> On 1/22/2017 1:37 PM, Dirk Frigne wrote:
>> Hi Venka,
>>
>> Here some slides from the presentation I gave on the final conference of
>> the GI Need To Know project[1]about the Gi-Cases project[2]
>>
>> To give an answer on your other questions:
>>
>> a) Academia – Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
>> both have a responsibility. Of course I follow the argument of Jody that
>> whoever is doing something should guarantee the resources, but in
>> general both actors have to play a role.
>> Research related activities should be initiated by the academia,
>> applying the research into good practises is work for the industry.
>> See also the Gi-Cases project for an example where both parties should
>> benifit from co-creation of knowledge.
>>
>> b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
>> industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
>> In a fast changing world, industry needs capacity that is ready for
>> these new challenges. Bridging the gap between the need in the market
>> and the 'preparation' of the knowledge by the academia results in more
>> efficient services.
>>

>> c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
>> commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
>> Think not in terms of commercialisation, but in terms of respecting each
>> others work. Patents and protection programs are an invention to let
>> investors in new idea's give the opportunity to earn there money back.
>> In a world of co-creation, we should think of other ways to respect te
>> work some parties have done and can be re-used by others.
>>
>> d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
>> university and industry? Any known success stories?
>> Based on the (osgeo-) community experience we have, it should be
>> possible to try out some partnerships where a good strategy is worked
>> out, so that software components can build upon the existing open source
>> projects, and extend them, where specific - still to be protected
>> inventions by the classical model - are being integrated in these
>> projects. This can be achieved with a dual license type of action.
>> You can Rasdaman as an example, with pro's and contra's in the
>> executing...
>>
>> My2c
>> Dirk
>>

>> [1] http://www.gi-n2k.eu/
>> [2] http://www.gicases.eu/the-project/
>>

>> On 20-01-17 10:21, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
>>> Hi Maria-san

>>> Thanks, please send me your presentation.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Venka

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Venka,

Wishing you a great visit to your homeland and to share the FOSS4G
spirit at the Hyderabad event.  I can feel the passion already.

Also, would you mind briefly mentioning the upcoming Google Summer of
Code program in your keynote?  As you know, OSGeo will be again applying
as a mentor organization (we're starting that application draft now);
but it can't hurt to briefly mention this in your keynote, as OSGeo will
likely be accepted again.  Some highlights for you to mention:

  - OSGeo's 2017 GSoC main page:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2017
  - this will be our 11th year of involvement!
  - OSGeo has helped 167 students throughout the years, to grow and
kick-start their careers as future FOSS4G leaders
  - we're now calling for ideas from OSGeo projects for the 2017 program

-jeff

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

jmckenna
Administrator
Almost forgot Venka: "dial it up"!

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo Foundation

On 1/19/2017 4:11 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
> My international travel and participation at GWF-2017 is
> supported by the organizers. I may need support from OSGeo to
> cover local expenses for the duration of FOSS4G-Asia (26-29 Jan., 2017).
> I will report of any expenses not covered from other sources and seek
> board approval from reimbursement after I return from the conference.

Regarding my participation at GWF-2017 and FOSS4G-Asia 2017,
my hotel expenses from 25-29 January and registration fee
for FOSS4G-Asia 2014 amounts to 341USD. This amount has
not be covered by other sources.

I request reimbursement of 341USD from OSGeo Travel budget.
I will send the receipts to Mike if/when this reimbursement is
approved.

Best

Venka

> Best
>
> Venka
>
>> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Venkatesh Raghavan
>> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> wrote:
>> Dear Board,
>>
>> I have a speaking engagement at GWF-2017
>> coming up next week in Hyderabad, India.
>> I am supposed to present the OSGeo perspective
>> at the session entitled "SUSTAINING A COLLABORATIVE INDUSTRY
>> ENGAGEMENT MODEL"
>>
>> The main discussion points are as below;
>>
>> a) Academia - Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
>> b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
>> industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
>> c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
>> commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
>> d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
>> university and industry? Any known success stories?
>>
>> Any inputs from your side is welcome. Also looking for
>> major success stories that could be highlighted.
>>
>> I will also be attending FOSS4G-Asia just after GWF-2017. I
>> will miss the next board meeting flight on 2 Feb., 2017
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka

>> Jody Garnett

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

jody.garnett
+1

I believe your office of president (like a committee) have a budget to work with.
On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 10:37 PM Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Board,

On 1/19/2017 4:11 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
> My international travel and participation at GWF-2017 is
> supported by the organizers. I may need support from OSGeo to
> cover local expenses for the duration of FOSS4G-Asia (26-29 Jan., 2017).
> I will report of any expenses not covered from other sources and seek
> board approval from reimbursement after I return from the conference.

Regarding my participation at GWF-2017 and FOSS4G-Asia 2017,
my hotel expenses from 25-29 January and registration fee
for FOSS4G-Asia 2014 amounts to 341USD. This amount has
not be covered by other sources.

I request reimbursement of 341USD from OSGeo Travel budget.
I will send the receipts to Mike if/when this reimbursement is
approved.

Best

Venka

> Best
>
> Venka
>
>> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Venkatesh Raghavan
>> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> wrote:
>> Dear Board,
>>
>> I have a speaking engagement at GWF-2017
>> coming up next week in Hyderabad, India.
>> I am supposed to present the OSGeo perspective
>> at the session entitled "SUSTAINING A COLLABORATIVE INDUSTRY
>> ENGAGEMENT MODEL"
>>
>> The main discussion points are as below;
>>
>> a) Academia - Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
>> b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
>> industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
>> c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
>> commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
>> d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
>> university and industry? Any known success stories?
>>
>> Any inputs from your side is welcome. Also looking for
>> major success stories that could be highlighted.
>>
>> I will also be attending FOSS4G-Asia just after GWF-2017. I
>> will miss the next board meeting flight on 2 Feb., 2017
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka

>> Jody Garnett

Jody Garnett

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Anita Graser

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

I believe your office of president (like a committee) have a budget to work with.

​+1

best wishes,
Anita​

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 10:37 PM Venkatesh Raghavan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Board,

On 1/19/2017 4:11 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
> My international travel and participation at GWF-2017 is
> supported by the organizers. I may need support from OSGeo to
> cover local expenses for the duration of FOSS4G-Asia (26-29 Jan., 2017).
> I will report of any expenses not covered from other sources and seek
> board approval from reimbursement after I return from the conference.

Regarding my participation at GWF-2017 and FOSS4G-Asia 2017,
my hotel expenses from 25-29 January and registration fee
for FOSS4G-Asia 2014 amounts to 341USD. This amount has
not be covered by other sources.

I request reimbursement of 341USD from OSGeo Travel budget.
I will send the receipts to Mike if/when this reimbursement is
approved.

Best

Venka

> Best
>
> Venka
>
>> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Venkatesh Raghavan
>> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> wrote:
>> Dear Board,
>>
>> I have a speaking engagement at GWF-2017
>> coming up next week in Hyderabad, India.
>> I am supposed to present the OSGeo perspective
>> at the session entitled "SUSTAINING A COLLABORATIVE INDUSTRY
>> ENGAGEMENT MODEL"
>>
>> The main discussion points are as below;
>>
>> a) Academia - Industry collaboration. Who should take the lead?
>> b) Other than providing financial assistance, what are other ways for
>> industry to engage closely with academia for mutual benefit?
>> c) Many faculty members are still conservative when talking about
>> commercialization. What are steps required to change this mindset?
>> d) What are your thoughts on cooperative research involving both
>> university and industry? Any known success stories?
>>
>> Any inputs from your side is welcome. Also looking for
>> major success stories that could be highlighted.
>>
>> I will also be attending FOSS4G-Asia just after GWF-2017. I
>> will miss the next board meeting flight on 2 Feb., 2017
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Venka

>> Jody Garnett

Jody Garnett

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Angelos Tzotsos
+1
Angelos

[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<[hidden email][hidden email]>
wrote:
[...]

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Helena Mitasova-7
+1 Helena

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1
> Angelos
>
> On 02/13/2017 10:24 PM, Anita Graser wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
>>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> +1
>>>
>>> I believe your office of president (like a committee) have a budget to
>>> work with.
>>>

>> ​+1
>>
>> best wishes,
>> Anita​
>>

>>> On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 10:37 PM Venkatesh Raghavan <
>>>
>>> [hidden email]

>>> --
>>> --
>>> Jody Garnett

> Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
> Charter Member
> Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>
> http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Helena Mitasova
Professor at the Department of Marine,
Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
and Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
[hidden email]
http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html

Re: R: About presentation at GWF-2017

Michael Smith
+1 also

Mike

----
Michael Smith
OSGeo Foundation Treasurer
[hidden email]

>> On Feb 13, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]>
>>wrote:
>>
>> +1
>> Angelos
>>
>> On 02/13/2017 10:24 PM, Anita Graser wrote:

>>> ​+1
>>>
>>> best wishes,
>>> Anita​

>> --
>> Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
>> Charter Member
>> Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>>
>> http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos
>
>Helena Mitasova
>Professor at the Department of Marine,
>Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
>and Center for Geospatial Analytics
>North Carolina State University
>Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
>[hidden email]
>http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html
>
>"All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which are
>sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public Records
>Law and may be disclosed to third parties.”

12