API design

nuest
Hi all!

As a follow up on a great discussion during last weeks FOSSGIS
conference, I'd like to get peoples opinions on how to proceed with the
following issue: We don't have a coherent API design yet. If we had,
people who want to contribute would have clear tasks to implement.

One suggestion (not by me, feel free to claim :-) ) was to simply copy
the owslib API [1] to have something to start with. We would potentially
have to accept that it might not fit a JS API perfectly, but have a
valid version 1.0.

Any opinions? Alternatives?

Best regards,
Daniel

[1] http://geopython.github.io/OWSLib/

--
Daniel Nüst
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849

Re: API design

Tom Kralidis

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Daniel Nüst wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:13:20 +0100
> From: Daniel Nüst <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [ows.js] API design
>
> Hi all!
>
> As a follow up on a great discussion during last weeks FOSSGIS
> conference, I'd like to get peoples opinions on how to proceed with the
> following issue: We don't have a coherent API design yet. If we had,
> people who want to contribute would have clear tasks to implement.
>
> One suggestion (not by me, feel free to claim :-) ) was to simply copy
> the owslib API [1] to have something to start with. We would potentially
> have to accept that it might not fit a JS API perfectly, but have a
> valid version 1.0.
>
> Any opinions? Alternatives?
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel
>
> [1] http://geopython.github.io/OWSLib/

OWSLib is basically:

- the constructor does GetCapabilities
- other operations are class methods
- other methods are included as helpers (i.e. get_operation_by_name, etc.)
- attribute/property model is based on the given spec; there is some
   consistency across like standards

Is there a JS API example we can peruse as a comparison?

..Tom

Re: API design

Christian Mayer | meggsimum

regarding to the suggestion "simply copy the owslib API": At the FOSSGIS
user meeting it has been discussed that it would definitely be worth
having a look at the OWSLib API in order to check if this might be a
good starting point. We should not port obviuos "mistakes" but since
OWSLib is very well know and adopted I am sure this might be a good
compromise to start with.
I think having a coherent API would give another push to the
ows.js-developers. Thanks to Alexey we have the compiled schemas and so
the API-frame could be filled with code.

Another thing which became clear at the user meeting at FOSSGIS last
week ist that there is a need for making ows.js compatible to serverside
JavaScript platforms (Node.js, io.js, ...). This is surely not the main
issue at the moment but I wanted to mention it for completeness.

Cheers,
Chris

Am 16.03.2015 um 10:13 schrieb Daniel Nüst:

> Hi all!
>
> As a follow up on a great discussion during last weeks FOSSGIS
> conference, I'd like to get peoples opinions on how to proceed with the
> following issue: We don't have a coherent API design yet. If we had,
> people who want to contribute would have clear tasks to implement.
>
> One suggestion (not by me, feel free to claim :-) ) was to simply copy
> the owslib API [1] to have something to start with. We would potentially
> have to accept that it might not fit a JS API perfectly, but have a
> valid version 1.0.
>
> Any opinions? Alternatives?
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel