API cleanup

Alexander Bruy
Hi all,

anyone works on API (both C++ and Python) cleanup? As I can see there
are about 90 deprecated methods available (for example, look at
QgsRasterLayer class), maybe we have even more, because not all
methods may be marked as deprecated.

Should we remove them? If yes which procedure is correct?

Thanks
--
Alexander Bruy

Re: API cleanup

Nathan Woodrow
Hey Alex,

I think we should be removing them as I think that is a overall goal for 2.0.  I think we can just remove them.  We should be able to diff the API docs once 2.0 is out to find out which methods have been added or removed.

That is my thinking anyway.

- Nathan

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Alexander Bruy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

anyone works on API (both C++ and Python) cleanup? As I can see there
are about 90 deprecated methods available (for example, look at
QgsRasterLayer class), maybe we have even more, because not all
methods may be marked as deprecated.

Should we remove them? If yes which procedure is correct?

Thanks
--
Alexander Bruy

Re: API cleanup

kimaidou
Hi list

Ok for removing the deprecated methods, but we really need to have a documented wiki page with a list of deprecated methods and the appropriate replacement.

Classic use case : you have developed a plugin. After the api break, you have several warning and error about "this method does not exists" -> hop, you go to the dedicated web page and you can see which new method to use instead.

Michael

2012/12/19 Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]>
[...]

Salvatore Larosa-2
Hi,

2012/12/20 kimaidou <[hidden email]>
Hi list

Ok for removing the deprecated methods, but we really need to have a documented wiki page with a list of deprecated methods and the appropriate replacement.

there is already a wiki page [1], thanks to Pirmin Kalberer !

Regards,

-SL

[1] - http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/API_changes_for_version_20

[...]

Salvatore Larosa
linkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/larosasalvatore
twitter: @lrssvt
skype: s.larosa
IRC: lrssvt on freenode

Re: API cleanup

Giuseppe Sucameli-2
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Salvatore Larosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2012/12/20 kimaidou <[hidden email]>
>> Ok for removing the deprecated methods, but we really need to have a
>> documented wiki page with a list of deprecated methods and the appropriate
>> replacement.
>
> there is already a wiki page [1]

in this moment that page contains only methods no longer
available in current master.
We must to add deprecated methods and their replacement to it
before removing them at all.

Regards.

> Regards,
>
> -SL
>
> [1] - http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/API_changes_for_version_20
>

>> Classic use case : you have developed a plugin. After the api break, you
>> have several warning and error about "this method does not exists" -> hop,
>> you go to the dedicated web page and you can see which new method to use
>> instead.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> 2012/12/19 Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Hey Alex,
>>>
>>> I think we should be removing them as I think that is a overall goal for
>>> 2.0.  I think we can just remove them.  We should be able to diff the API
>>> docs once 2.0 is out to find out which methods have been added or removed.
>>>
>>> That is my thinking anyway.
>>>
>>> - Nathan

> Salvatore Larosa
> linkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/larosasalvatore
> twitter: @lrssvt
> skype: s.larosa
> IRC: lrssvt on freenode

Giuseppe Sucameli - Faunalia

Re: API cleanup

Alexander Bruy
Hi all,

I just pushed to my repo branch api_cleanup [0] where tried to remove
deprecated methods from API (both C++ and Python). Also I add this
methods to wiki page [1]. As I can see all test are passed with this
changes.

Feel free to check and comment. If there are no objections I'll merge
this into master in next few days.

[0] https://github.com/alexbruy/Quantum-GIS/tree/api_cleanup
[1] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/API_changes_for_version_20

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: API cleanup

Marco Hugentobler-4

Hi Alexander

Thank you for doing the cleanup, +1 for merging your branch.

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux & Open Source Solutions

Re: API cleanup

Alexander Bruy
Hi Marco, hi all,

just merged my branch with api cleanup into master.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:03:30 +0100
Marco Hugentobler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alexander
>
> Thank you for doing the cleanup, +1 for merging your branch.

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: API cleanup

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Hi,

Apparently, some plugins are broken after the clean up (as expected...).
See:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/6915
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/6916

Regards,