[ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi,

I'd like to remind everyone that the 2.3 development cycle ended at 12:00 UTC. We are now in feature freeze on the road to the 2.4 release on 2014-06-20 (almost 28 days away; see also roadmap).

Now we, the community, need to prepare QGIS for release. No new features will be added anymore.  Users, if not already begun, should now start extensive testing of master and report bugs on the hub. Developers should move their focus from creating new features to fixing bugs.   Translators can can continue their work (Werner updated the translations in master. Thanks! Note that this might be an incremental process as - although there is feature freeze - bug fixes could still change or add translation strings).

The nightly builds of QGIS testing available for Windows, Linux (Debian and Ubuntu) and Mac OS are now effectively snapshots of what's going to be released.  Except of course for the bugs that are going to be fixed until release day.  For Windows there will also continue to be weekly snapshots of the standalone installer that can serve as Release Candidate.

Lets keep up working together to make 2.4 another great release.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH            Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13         Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

kimaidou
Thanks Jürgen for this reminder

We should provide a HTML page with some help how to download and test the master version. Otherwise Windows, Linux and Mac users who are not developpers (and compilers) would not be able to help us testing the master version.

I remember there is one download page with a new Master Windows build every week. Having the same for other distributions would help. Do you think builders could provide some help to build a  single wiki page "Try the last Master for Windows, Linux and mac distros ? Or this page already exists ?

Having a single link could help us in this list to call for testers among the end users (via twitter and other channels)

Michael

[...]

Lene Fischer

+1

Lene Fischer

Associate Professor

Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management

University of Copenhagen

MOB +45 40115084

SCIENCE_bomaerke_UK

Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

kimaidou
Ok, sorry for the noise... I did not notice the links in your email pointing to the adequate pages. I am still a bit tired after the great foss4gfr we had in Paris this week ;)

Jürgen, maybe a single very short HTML page in QGIS website with the content of your email would be a good idea ?

Michael

+1

Lene Fischer

Associate Professor

Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management

University of Copenhagen

MOB <a href="tel:%2B45%2040115084" value="+4540115084" target="_blank">+45 40115084

SCIENCE_bomaerke_UK

Re: [Qgis-user] [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Brent Wood
Hi,

I'm definitely more of a user than developer, & have not compiled QGIS now for several years (no need these days - thank you all!!)
I've been using QGIS under various distros of Linux (Mandrake, PCLOS, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mint, etc) since QGIS v0.2, way back when...

I just built a new 32 bit VM of Linux Mint 17 RC (based on Ubuntu Trusty v14.04) , and applied all updates.
Added the Postgres repository (according to instructions):
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ trusty-pgdg main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
wget --quiet -O - http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ACCC4CF8.asc | sudo apt-key add -

Added the Ubuntu dev snapshot repository (listed in Jürgen's email) the same way:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb     http://qgis.org/debian-nightly trusty main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'

Updated the package list:
sudo apt-get update

And then fired up Synaptic to install the software I wanted, which includes (amongst lots of others) Postgres 9.3, Postgis 2.1, QGIS dev (v2.3)

Added my user as a Postgres superuser, created a test db, connected & added a Postgis extension, edited pg_hba.conf to allow trusted access from localhost, reloaded the postgresql service & started QGIS, then connected to my new db.

Everything worked perfectly, & I now have an updateable VM running the dev version of QGIS to test with - including Postgis connection functionality which is critical for me. I concede that this procedure might be a bit daunting for a casual user, but for anyone familiar with Linux, it was just a matter of finding the relevant instructions (and repositories) and going through a normal setup process for installing software apps on a fresh Mint (Ubuntu) install.

Now to load some plugins, data, symbologies, etc & try it out...

My thanks to all those who's work allows people like me to do this stuff, and have it "just work!"

Brent Wood

Re: [Qgis-user] [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Nathan Woodrow

Hey Brent,

You should check out the PostGIS docker images, makes it even easier to get going.

Nathan

On May 24, 2014 12:26 PM, "Brent Wood" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 23-05-14 22:41, kimaidou wrote:
> Ok, sorry for the noise... I did not notice the links in your email
> pointing to the adequate pages. I am still a bit tired after the great
> foss4gfr we had in Paris this week ;)
>
> Jürgen, maybe a single very short HTML page in QGIS website with the
> content of your email would be a good idea ?

Hi Michael/Lene,

if one of you writes down a text file with the information, instructions
and links in it and sent it to me, that would be great.
I will then create a page in the website for it.

Any idea where a suitable place is?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: [Qgis-user] [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Lene Fischer

Hi Richard,

I would suggest to use the "Get involved"- page  http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/index.html

Eg. : "We need testpersons for the next version -  Install the latest version - new every week"

Report bug at xxxx mailinglist/Bugreport and then an example in how to report a bug.

Regards

Lene Fischer

-------------

Hi Michael/Lene,

if one of you writes down a text file with the information, instructions and links in it and sent it to me, that would be great.

I will then create a page in the website for it.

Any idea where a suitable place is?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: [Qgis-user] [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Anita Graser
How about adding the call for testers to the front page carousel?

I think I also remember a discussion about a "news" bar at the top of
the front page (right under the menu) where we could add important
temporary information such as a call for testers.

Best wishes,
Anita

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Lene Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I would suggest to use the "Get involved"- page
> http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/index.html
>
> Eg. : "We need testpersons for the next version -  Install the latest
> version - new every week"
>
> Report bug at xxxx mailinglist/Bugreport and then an example in how to
> report a bug.
>

> Regards
>
> Lene Fischer
>

> -------------
>
> Hi Michael/Lene,
>

> if one of you writes down a text file with the information, instructions and
> links in it and sent it to me, that would be great.
>
> I will then create a page in the website for it.
>

> Any idea where a suitable place is?
>

> Regards,
>

> Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: [Qgis-user] [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Mathieu Pellerin

The next weekly build could be spinned as a technical preview build and advertised on the homepage / blog / social media. No additional efforts required on the build front, just a bit of public PR.

Math

On 24 May 2014 16:16, "Anita Graser" <[hidden email]> wrote:
How about adding the call for testers to the front page carousel?

I think I also remember a discussion about a "news" bar at the top of
the front page (right under the menu) where we could add important
temporary information such as a call for testers.

Best wishes,
Anita

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Lene Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I would suggest to use the "Get involved"- page
> http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/index.html
>
> Eg. : "We need testpersons for the next version -  Install the latest
> version - new every week"
>
> Report bug at xxxx mailinglist/Bugreport and then an example in how to
> report a bug.
>

> Regards
>
> Lene Fischer
>

> -------------
>
> Hi Michael/Lene,
>

> if one of you writes down a text file with the information, instructions and
> links in it and sent it to me, that would be great.
>
> I will then create a page in the website for it.
>

> Any idea where a suitable place is?
>

> Regards,
>

> Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Régis Haubourg
Hi!
message forwarded to all French user. +1 with Anita, something on the main page of qgis.org would be nice.

Let's test and translate !
Régis

On 24-05-14 10:53, Anita Graser wrote:
> How about adding the call for testers to the front page carousel?

is a possibility, then we need a 940x240 pixels image to put in there.
If somebody takes the lead in this, I'm happy to put it in the carousel.

> I think I also remember a discussion about a "news" bar at the top of
> the front page (right under the menu) where we could add important
> temporary information such as a call for testers.

Yep, that is where now are the OSGEO/FOSS4G images are.
is Lene's text ok?

"We need testpersons for the next version -  Install the latest version
- new every week. Report issues at xxxx mailinglist/Bugreport"

with an image like:

http://thumb9.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1295074/121239502/stock-vector-vector-button-test-now-121239502.jpg

Richard

Re: [Qgis-user] [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Anita Graser
On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> is a possibility, then we need a 940x240 pixels image to put in there.
> If somebody takes the lead in this, I'm happy to put it in the carousel.

Here's one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42637169/qgisorg_banner.png

The text could be: Get the release candidate for Windows
(http://qgis.org/downloads/weekly/?C=M;O=D), Ubuntu
(http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#qgis-testing), Mac
(http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#qgis-macos-testing),
and more (http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html) and
report any issue you find
(http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/index#bugs-features-and-issues.html).

Best wishes,
Anita

>> I think I also remember a discussion about a "news" bar at the top of
>> the front page (right under the menu) where we could add important
>> temporary information such as a call for testers.
>
> Yep, that is where now are the OSGEO/FOSS4G images are.
> is Lene's text ok?
>
> "We need testpersons for the next version -  Install the latest version
> - new every week. Report issues at xxxx mailinglist/Bugreport"
>
> with an image like:
>
> http://thumb9.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1295074/121239502/stock-vector-vector-button-test-now-121239502.jpg
>
> Richard

Re: [Qgis-user] [ANNOUNCE] 2.3 feature freeze begun

Richard Duivenvoorde

Ok, it's on the frontpage (currently building)...

Also the po/source files are newly pushed to transifex, so people can
translate all new strings from the website.

Regards,

Richard