AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

jody.garnett
In our most recent mins that we had a good review of outstanding f2f action items, one thing we are missing is following up on our well attended, entertaining, annual general meeting.

I am (CCing) the discussion list here as this is a fun update.

The main action item is to invite projects and committees who missed the AGM to the next board meeting (Board Meeting 2017-11-02). Anita has also identified this as an opportunity to start thinking about next years budget.

The slides are here:
​​​

We had reports from the board and core officers (or delegate):
  • president: delegated to helena as vice-president
  • treasurer
  • secretary
  • elections - annual short term position
Initiatives:
  • Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
  • OSGeo-Live
Projects:
  • GRASS GIS
  • GeoMOOSE
  • ORFEO ToolBox - welcome to new graduate!
  • pycsw
  • geonode
  • pywps*
  • MapServer
  • ZOO project - brought up external slides
  • GeoServer
*via incubation committee

Aside: there was some confusion for projects who had had a state-of talk during the conference. The AGM update is focused on the project health and happiness, rather than technology updates.

Local Chapters
  • OSGeo Korean Chapter
  • GfOSS.it
  • OSGeo Ireland
  • D-A-Ch: FOSSGIS e.V.
  • OSGeo:UK
  • OSGeo.JP
  • geo-spatial.org (OSGeo.RO)
  • And more
    • OSGeo Finland Chapter Report
    • OSGeo Spanish Language Chapter
    • OSGeo Africa
    • OSGeo European
Aside: There was a lot of friendly encouragement from the European chapters considering considering bidding for FOSS4G 2019.

Note: Local chapter updates are the highlight of any AGM (and inspirational). There is no expectation for a report from local chapters - they do not have an officer representative in our organization. I think this makes sense since they are regional in nature and need to have the freedom to incorporate in accordance with local laws.

Committees:
  • United Nations Committee
  • GeoForAll
  • Conference Committee
  • OpenGeoScience Committee
  • Marketing Committee
  • Incubation Committee
  • GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?
--
Jody Garnett

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

margherita
Jody,

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]
 
Initiatives:
  • Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
  • OSGeo-Live
    • OSGeo European
[...]

Committees:
  • United Nations Committee
  • GeoForAll
  • Conference Committee
  • OpenGeoScience Committee
  • Marketing Committee
  • Incubation Committee
  • GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?

GSoC is surely no committee: the "members" are not stable, volunteer mentors change from one year to another, there is no  "less active" members as sometimes happens in committees; there is no much voting, admins are responsible for administrative stuff, mentors are responsible for their own mentoring activity; etc. I think the definition of initiative suits better. I'm not sure about the actual definition in use in OSGeo, but if OSGeo-Live is an initiative, I see similarities with GSoC: cross-project initiative, aiming at outreach and growing projects.

Thank you


--
Margherita Di Leo

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

Anita Graser
In reply to this post by jody.garnett
On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]> wrote:
It looks like the following projects have not provided an update during the AGM and should be called to attend our next board meeting:

- gvSIG
- Marble
- QGIS
​...

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aside: there was some confusion for projects who had had a state-of talk during the conference. The AGM update is focused on the project health and happiness, rather than technology updates.

​I'm sure there was a state of QGIS presentation​ but if you need input, I volunteer to provide info during the next board meeting
​ - or probably better - here on the list.

Regards,
Anita​




 


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

jody.garnett
In reply to this post by jody.garnett
Thanks Angelos you are appreciated, we should reach out to the project officers etc...

I note as GeoTools representative I did not make a report yet. In previous years the AGM used links, https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/geotools-report-2012, that also works well for email and IRC. 

I think for the much smaller list of committees updates can be included in the normal meeting.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 12:28 AM Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Jody,

It looks like the following projects have not provided an update during the AGM and should be called to attend our next board meeting:

- gvSIG
- Marble
- QGIS
- FDO
- GDAL/OGR
- GEOS
- GeoTools
- OSSIM
- PostGIS
- GeoNetwork
- deegree
- geomajas
- Mapbender
- MapFish
- MapGuide Open Source
- OpenLayers

Given the number of the projects in that list, perhaps it would be easier to organize separate meetings (or video calls), asking projects and board members to attend.

I volunteer to follow up with the project officers and arrange those meetings if the board approves.

Best,
Angelos





On 10/23/2017 08:48 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
In our most recent mins that we had a good review of outstanding f2f action
items <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-10-05>, one thing we
are missing is following up on our well attended, entertaining, annual
general meeting.

I am (CCing) the discussion list here as this is a fun update.

The main action item is to invite projects and committees who missed the
AGM to the next board meeting (Board Meeting 2017-11-02
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-11-02>). Anita has also
identified this as an opportunity to start thinking about next years budget.

The slides are here:
​​​
 osgeo-agm
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1T9QRcCdyd8PLQnXB2VfZ2k3ReX-9CH_YXRg0VKqtgeQ/edit?usp=drive_web>
​
We had reports from the board and core officers (or delegate):

   - president: delegated to helena as vice-president
   - treasurer
   - secretary
   - elections - annual short term position

Initiatives:

   - Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
   - OSGeo-Live

Projects:

   - GRASS GIS
   - GeoMOOSE
   - ORFEO ToolBox - welcome to new graduate!
   - pycsw
   - geonode
   - pywps*
   - MapServer
   - ZOO project - brought up external slides
   - GeoServer

*via incubation committee

Aside: t*here was some confusion for projects who had had a state-of talk
during the conference. The AGM update is focused on the project health and
happiness, rather than technology updates.*

Local Chapters

   - OSGeo Korean Chapter
   - GfOSS.it
   - OSGeo Ireland
   - D-A-Ch: FOSSGIS e.V.
   - OSGeo:UK
   - OSGeo.JP
   - geo-spatial.org (OSGeo.RO)
   - And more
      - OSGeo Finland Chapter Report
      - OSGeo Spanish Language Chapter
      - OSGeo Africa
      - OSGeo European

*Aside: There was a lot of friendly encouragement from
the European chapters considering considering bidding for FOSS4G 2019.*

*Note: Local chapter updates are the highlight of any AGM (and
inspirational). There is no expectation for a report from local chapters -
they do not have an officer representative in our organization. I think
this makes sense since they are regional in nature and need to have the
freedom to incorporate in accordance with local laws*.

Committees:

   - United Nations Committee
   - GeoForAll
   - Conference Committee
   - OpenGeoScience Committee
   - Marketing Committee
   - Incubation Committee
   - GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?

--
Jody Garnett



_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board


-- 
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos
--
--
Jody Garnett

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

jody.garnett
In reply to this post by margherita
Agreed, that is where it was listed in the slides. On the website GSOC it is under initiatives :)

I love seeing a balance, initiatives provided a great oppeetunity for members who cannot commit to an ongoing committee. 

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:01 AM Margherita Di Leo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jody,

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]
 
Initiatives:
  • Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
  • OSGeo-Live
    • OSGeo European
[...]

Committees:
  • United Nations Committee
  • GeoForAll
  • Conference Committee
  • OpenGeoScience Committee
  • Marketing Committee
  • Incubation Committee
  • GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?

GSoC is surely no committee: the "members" are not stable, volunteer mentors change from one year to another, there is no  "less active" members as sometimes happens in committees; there is no much voting, admins are responsible for administrative stuff, mentors are responsible for their own mentoring activity; etc. I think the definition of initiative suits better. I'm not sure about the actual definition in use in OSGeo, but if OSGeo-Live is an initiative, I see similarities with GSoC: cross-project initiative, aiming at outreach and growing projects.

Thank you


--
Margherita Di Leo
--
--
Jody Garnett

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

jody.garnett
In reply to this post by jody.garnett
It looks like the following committees did not have a chance to join the AGM:
I also note that the website committee was dissolved due to inactivity.


--
Jody Garnett

On 22 October 2017 at 22:48, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
In our most recent mins that we had a good review of outstanding f2f action items, one thing we are missing is following up on our well attended, entertaining, annual general meeting.

I am (CCing) the discussion list here as this is a fun update.

The main action item is to invite projects and committees who missed the AGM to the next board meeting (Board Meeting 2017-11-02). Anita has also identified this as an opportunity to start thinking about next years budget.

The slides are here:
​​​

We had reports from the board and core officers (or delegate):
  • president: delegated to helena as vice-president
  • treasurer
  • secretary
  • elections - annual short term position
Initiatives:
  • Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
  • OSGeo-Live
Projects:
  • GRASS GIS
  • GeoMOOSE
  • ORFEO ToolBox - welcome to new graduate!
  • pycsw
  • geonode
  • pywps*
  • MapServer
  • ZOO project - brought up external slides
  • GeoServer
*via incubation committee

Aside: there was some confusion for projects who had had a state-of talk during the conference. The AGM update is focused on the project health and happiness, rather than technology updates.

Local Chapters
  • OSGeo Korean Chapter
  • GfOSS.it
  • OSGeo Ireland
  • D-A-Ch: FOSSGIS e.V.
  • OSGeo:UK
  • OSGeo.JP
  • geo-spatial.org (OSGeo.RO)
  • And more
    • OSGeo Finland Chapter Report
    • OSGeo Spanish Language Chapter
    • OSGeo Africa
    • OSGeo European
Aside: There was a lot of friendly encouragement from the European chapters considering considering bidding for FOSS4G 2019.

Note: Local chapter updates are the highlight of any AGM (and inspirational). There is no expectation for a report from local chapters - they do not have an officer representative in our organization. I think this makes sense since they are regional in nature and need to have the freedom to incorporate in accordance with local laws.

Committees:
  • United Nations Committee
  • GeoForAll
  • Conference Committee
  • OpenGeoScience Committee
  • Marketing Committee
  • Incubation Committee
  • GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?
--
Jody Garnett


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

David William Bitner-3
Jody,

I did present at the AGM to say that the Geodata Committee is indeed inactive.

David

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
It looks like the following committees did not have a chance to join the AGM:
I also note that the website committee was dissolved due to inactivity.


--
Jody Garnett

On 22 October 2017 at 22:48, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
In our most recent mins that we had a good review of outstanding f2f action items, one thing we are missing is following up on our well attended, entertaining, annual general meeting.

I am (CCing) the discussion list here as this is a fun update.

The main action item is to invite projects and committees who missed the AGM to the next board meeting (Board Meeting 2017-11-02). Anita has also identified this as an opportunity to start thinking about next years budget.

The slides are here:
​​​

We had reports from the board and core officers (or delegate):
  • president: delegated to helena as vice-president
  • treasurer
  • secretary
  • elections - annual short term position
Initiatives:
  • Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
  • OSGeo-Live
Projects:
  • GRASS GIS
  • GeoMOOSE
  • ORFEO ToolBox - welcome to new graduate!
  • pycsw
  • geonode
  • pywps*
  • MapServer
  • ZOO project - brought up external slides
  • GeoServer
*via incubation committee

Aside: there was some confusion for projects who had had a state-of talk during the conference. The AGM update is focused on the project health and happiness, rather than technology updates.

Local Chapters
  • OSGeo Korean Chapter
  • GfOSS.it
  • OSGeo Ireland
  • D-A-Ch: FOSSGIS e.V.
  • OSGeo:UK
  • OSGeo.JP
  • geo-spatial.org (OSGeo.RO)
  • And more
    • OSGeo Finland Chapter Report
    • OSGeo Spanish Language Chapter
    • OSGeo Africa
    • OSGeo European
Aside: There was a lot of friendly encouragement from the European chapters considering considering bidding for FOSS4G 2019.

Note: Local chapter updates are the highlight of any AGM (and inspirational). There is no expectation for a report from local chapters - they do not have an officer representative in our organization. I think this makes sense since they are regional in nature and need to have the freedom to incorporate in accordance with local laws.

Committees:
  • United Nations Committee
  • GeoForAll
  • Conference Committee
  • OpenGeoScience Committee
  • Marketing Committee
  • Incubation Committee
  • GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?
--
Jody Garnett


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board



--
************************************
David William Bitner
dbSpatial LLC
612-578-9553

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AGM Followup - what our foundation is doing in 2017

jody.garnett
Thanks David, I was working from the AGM slides. I am not sure if anyone took minutes for the meeting.

--
Jody Garnett

On 23 October 2017 at 14:54, David William Bitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jody,

I did present at the AGM to say that the Geodata Committee is indeed inactive.

David

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
It looks like the following committees did not have a chance to join the AGM:
I also note that the website committee was dissolved due to inactivity.


--
Jody Garnett

On 22 October 2017 at 22:48, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
In our most recent mins that we had a good review of outstanding f2f action items, one thing we are missing is following up on our well attended, entertaining, annual general meeting.

I am (CCing) the discussion list here as this is a fun update.

The main action item is to invite projects and committees who missed the AGM to the next board meeting (Board Meeting 2017-11-02). Anita has also identified this as an opportunity to start thinking about next years budget.

The slides are here:
​​​

We had reports from the board and core officers (or delegate):
  • president: delegated to helena as vice-president
  • treasurer
  • secretary
  • elections - annual short term position
Initiatives:
  • Website/rebranding - temporary initiative
  • OSGeo-Live
Projects:
  • GRASS GIS
  • GeoMOOSE
  • ORFEO ToolBox - welcome to new graduate!
  • pycsw
  • geonode
  • pywps*
  • MapServer
  • ZOO project - brought up external slides
  • GeoServer
*via incubation committee

Aside: there was some confusion for projects who had had a state-of talk during the conference. The AGM update is focused on the project health and happiness, rather than technology updates.

Local Chapters
  • OSGeo Korean Chapter
  • GfOSS.it
  • OSGeo Ireland
  • D-A-Ch: FOSSGIS e.V.
  • OSGeo:UK
  • OSGeo.JP
  • geo-spatial.org (OSGeo.RO)
  • And more
    • OSGeo Finland Chapter Report
    • OSGeo Spanish Language Chapter
    • OSGeo Africa
    • OSGeo European
Aside: There was a lot of friendly encouragement from the European chapters considering considering bidding for FOSS4G 2019.

Note: Local chapter updates are the highlight of any AGM (and inspirational). There is no expectation for a report from local chapters - they do not have an officer representative in our organization. I think this makes sense since they are regional in nature and need to have the freedom to incorporate in accordance with local laws.

Committees:
  • United Nations Committee
  • GeoForAll
  • Conference Committee
  • OpenGeoScience Committee
  • Marketing Committee
  • Incubation Committee
  • GSoC - is this a committee or initiative?
--
Jody Garnett


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board



--
************************************
David William Bitner
dbSpatial LLC
<a href="tel:(612)%20578-9553" value="+16125789553" target="_blank">612-578-9553


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo Project report 2017 - Invitation to attend next Board meeting

Even Rouault-2
In reply to this post by jody.garnett

Hi Angelos,

 

>

> During the OSGeo general meeting (AGM) in Boston FOSS4G this year, OSGeo

> Projects were asked to provide a slide [1] with the project status report.

> Since some of the projects did not manage to attend or provide feedback,

> the OSGeo Board of Directors has started an effort to reach out to these

> projects and ask them to attend a Board meeting to provide this report.

>

> You are the Project Officer of GDAL/OGR, so I would like to ask you to

> attend the next board meeting [2] [3] if possible. Would you be

> available to attend?

 

Yes, I should be able to attend.

 

I've just drafted a report on the wiki:

https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/AnnualReport2016_first_half_2017

 

I'll ask to the broader GDAL community if they have additions to bring to it.

 

Even

 

> PS. Should we update your contact information with your Spatialys e-mail?

 

Yes, you can.

 

--

Spatialys - Geospatial professional services

http://www.spatialys.com


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo Project report 2017 - Invitation to attend next Board meeting

Angelos Tzotsos
Thanks Even,

Thanks for the update, I added GDAL to the agenda
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2017-11-21

Best,
Angelos

On 11/14/2017 04:33 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

> Hi Angelos,
>
>> During the OSGeo general meeting (AGM) in Boston FOSS4G this year, OSGeo
>> Projects were asked to provide a slide [1] with the project status report.
>> Since some of the projects did not manage to attend or provide feedback,
>> the OSGeo Board of Directors has started an effort to reach out to these
>> projects and ask them to attend a Board meeting to provide this report.
>>
>> You are the Project Officer of GDAL/OGR, so I would like to ask you to
>> attend the next board meeting [2] [3] if possible. Would you be
>> available to attend?
> Yes, I should be able to attend.
>
> I've just drafted a report on the wiki:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/AnnualReport2016_first_half_2017
>
> I'll ask to the broader GDAL community if they have additions to bring to it.
>
> Even
>
>> PS. Should we update your contact information with your Spatialys e-mail?
> Yes, you can.
>

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board