A young project: OSArch

Duncan Lithgow
Hi everyone

I'm just getting in touch from the OSArch project [1] since we've been talking about where we want to OSArch project to go and how it should be organised [2]. We've noticed how successful and stable OSGeo seems to be and would like to know more about how that's been achieved and what we can learn from it as our organisation grows.

Basically, as the name suggests, we're interested in open source and free software in the AECO space. Maybe the name is misleading - we're not just about architecture but the whole built environment. We're starting to see opportunities for applying for funding but that's a bit hard when we're not really an organisation and have barely started stating clearly what our golas and priorities are.

For now I guess I'm just saying hi to hear who would be interested in talking to us about these things. At some stage in the hopefully near future we'd love to see or make a presentation about how OSGeo got where it is today and what we can learn.

Jody Garnet recently mentioned some requirements OSgeo has above and beyond OSI. I'd love to read about them. Jody, can you tell me where I can read more about that?

Of course you're all welcome to talk to us on our forum and visit the wiki.

Regards, Duncan

[2]

Re: A young project: OSArch

jody.garnett
There are a couple presentations, but the key thing is the checklist we use during our incubation process.

The theme is to recognize that open source and free software are just a license, primarily focused on software distribution. As a group we experiment with taking that "open" attitude and see it applied to other aspects of software and community development.

Some presentations: