A datum question if I may

Hersman, William
Is there a difference between a NAD27->NAD83 conversion and a
NAD27->WGS84 conversion ?  Much ?

Thanks,

Willy Hersman

Re: A datum question if I may

Schuyler Erle
* On 25-Oct-2005 at  3:14PM PDT, Hersman, William said:
> Is there a difference between a NAD27->NAD83 conversion and a
> NAD27->WGS84 conversion ?  Much ?

Almost none. According to
http://www.mentorsoftwareinc.com/resource/Nad83.htm, NAD83 and WGS84
start to differ at something like the seventh or eighth decimal place,
unless I've completely misunderstood this article.

SDE

Re: A datum question if I may

Frank Warmerdam
On 10/25/05, Hersman, William <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a difference between a NAD27->NAD83 conversion and a
> NAD27->WGS84 conversion ?  Much ?

Willy,

PROJ.4's datum conversion logic considers NAD83 and
WGS84 equivelent since the differences are so minor.

Re: A datum question if I may

Clifford J Mugnier

NAD83 is going toward a merge with the ITRFXX (International Terrestrial
Reference Frame of some year) and WGS84 is already on the ITRFXX.  These
are reference frames with respect to DATUMS.  The datums are the same
within centimeters on the ground.  Big deal in Geodesy and precise Land
Surveys - zippo for GIS.

The minor difference in the 14th decimal place is with respect to the
difference in the WGS84 ellipsoid and the GRS80 (Geodetic Reference System
1980) ellipsoid because two different formulae are used to define the
respective gravity fields.  Since "b," "1/f" reciprocal of flattening, etc.
are derived quantities, the derivations differ slightly.  There is ZERO
practical difference.

C. Mugnier