A couple of technical questions

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A couple of technical questions

delawen
Hello conference committee!

I have a couple of questions for you.

1.- Who is in charge/knows about the community review software?
(I see it in https://community-review.foss4g.org/ ready for FOSS4G Europe)
We want to develop some tool/prepare it to integrate with Pretalx so everything is done automatically and smoothly.

2.- Do we have a *@foss4g.org mail server somewhere?
The only *@foss4g.org I have on my personal history is from 2013. Is this domain being used for emails right now?

2.b) Can we move it to Amazon SES? 
We were thinking that, whether we use Sendy or not in the end, we would like to try Amazon SES. Because it looks reliable, cheap and has no limit on how many emails it can send. We know big companies are harder to get listed as spam.
And then if we finally use Sendy, we can use the same SES to send the emails.

2.c) Or maybe we already have something in place by the SAC?
That would be good too, as long as we can guarantee no mails lost and big batches of email sent with no restrictions (like the "last instructions to attendees" email). I know that having an email server that works 100% fine is not an easy thing and if ticket sales mail gets lost, that's critical.

Cheers!
María.


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A couple of technical questions

Eli Adam


On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:28 AM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello conference committee!

I have a couple of questions for you.

1.- Who is in charge/knows about the community review software?
(I see it in https://community-review.foss4g.org/ ready for FOSS4G Europe)
We want to develop some tool/prepare it to integrate with Pretalx so everything is done automatically and smoothly.

There is community review code that’s been used forever that I believe originated with Paul Ramsey.  I’m not sure if this is the same thing as you’re asking about.




2.- Do we have a *@foss4g.org mail server somewhere?
The only *@foss4g.org I have on my personal history is from 2013. Is this domain being used for emails right now?

Searching SAC tickets might reveal more information on this.  I believe it has been done for many years.  We used *@foss4g.org emails in 2014 but did so through other email accounts and servers.  Whether is is possible at different email providers has changed over the years.




2.b) Can we move it to Amazon SES? 
We were thinking that, whether we use Sendy or not in the end, we would like to try Amazon SES. Because it looks reliable, cheap and has no limit on how many emails it can send. We know big companies are harder to get listed as spam.
And then if we finally use Sendy, we can use the same SES to send the emails.

I think this is really a SAC question.  I don’t see the conference committee doing this or having a valid opinion on it.



2.c) Or maybe we already have something in place by the SAC?
That would be good too, as long as we can guarantee no mails lost and big batches of email sent with no restrictions (like the "last instructions to attendees" email). I know that having an email server that works 100% fine is not an easy thing and if ticket sales mail gets lost, that's critical.

This is why I am slightly in favor of systems like mailchimp, constant contact, or any various others.  These companies manage to (almost) always be able to send high volume of email quickly and not get blacklisted or otherwise suffer a failure to promptly send (and deliver) lots of email.  There certainly may be other ways to reliably do the same but it is not an easy task, it has some risk, and the impacts can be substantial.

Best regards,

Eli




Cheers!
María.



_______________________________________________

Conference_dev mailing list

[hidden email]

https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev



_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A couple of technical questions

Eli Adam


On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 5:09 AM Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:28 AM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello conference committee!

I have a couple of questions for you.

1.- Who is in charge/knows about the community review software?
(I see it in https://community-review.foss4g.org/ ready for FOSS4G Europe)
We want to develop some tool/prepare it to integrate with Pretalx so everything is done automatically and smoothly.

There is community review code that’s been used forever that I believe originated with Paul Ramsey.  I’m not sure if this is the same thing as you’re asking about.




2.- Do we have a *@foss4g.org mail server somewhere?
The only *@foss4g.org I have on my personal history is from 2013. Is this domain being used for emails right now?

Searching SAC tickets might reveal more information on this.  I believe it has been done for many years.  We used *@foss4g.org emails in 2014 but did so through other email accounts and servers.  Whether is is possible at different email providers has changed over the years.


I may have misspoken.  I believe most years used *@osgeo.org email aliases.  This 2018 ticket requests @foss4g.org emails but gets @osgeo.org emails.  I vaguely recall a technical reason for that.  

Eli





2.b) Can we move it to Amazon SES? 
We were thinking that, whether we use Sendy or not in the end, we would like to try Amazon SES. Because it looks reliable, cheap and has no limit on how many emails it can send. We know big companies are harder to get listed as spam.
And then if we finally use Sendy, we can use the same SES to send the emails.

I think this is really a SAC question.  I don’t see the conference committee doing this or having a valid opinion on it.



2.c) Or maybe we already have something in place by the SAC?
That would be good too, as long as we can guarantee no mails lost and big batches of email sent with no restrictions (like the "last instructions to attendees" email). I know that having an email server that works 100% fine is not an easy thing and if ticket sales mail gets lost, that's critical.

This is why I am slightly in favor of systems like mailchimp, constant contact, or any various others.  These companies manage to (almost) always be able to send high volume of email quickly and not get blacklisted or otherwise suffer a failure to promptly send (and deliver) lots of email.  There certainly may be other ways to reliably do the same but it is not an easy task, it has some risk, and the impacts can be substantial.

Best regards,

Eli




Cheers!
María.



_______________________________________________

Conference_dev mailing list

[hidden email]

https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev





_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A couple of technical questions

delawen
Thanks, Eli.

I will contact SAC directly :) I was hoping this was already set up somewhere.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:47 PM Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 5:09 AM Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:28 AM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello conference committee!
>>>
>>> I have a couple of questions for you.
>>>
>>> 1.- Who is in charge/knows about the community review software?
>>> (I see it in https://community-review.foss4g.org/ ready for FOSS4G Europe)
>>> We want to develop some tool/prepare it to integrate with Pretalx so everything is done automatically and smoothly.
>>
>>
>> There is community review code that’s been used forever that I believe originated with Paul Ramsey.  I’m not sure if this is the same thing as you’re asking about.
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 2.- Do we have a *@foss4g.org mail server somewhere?
>>> The only *@foss4g.org I have on my personal history is from 2013. Is this domain being used for emails right now?
>>
>>
>> Searching SAC tickets might reveal more information on this.  I believe it has been done for many years.  We used *@foss4g.org emails in 2014 but did so through other email accounts and servers.  Whether is is possible at different email providers has changed over the years.
>
>
>
> I may have misspoken.  I believe most years used *@osgeo.org email aliases.  This 2018 ticket requests @foss4g.org emails but gets @osgeo.org emails.  I vaguely recall a technical reason for that.
> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2007
>
> Eli
>
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 2.b) Can we move it to Amazon SES?
>>> We were thinking that, whether we use Sendy or not in the end, we would like to try Amazon SES. Because it looks reliable, cheap and has no limit on how many emails it can send. We know big companies are harder to get listed as spam.
>>> And then if we finally use Sendy, we can use the same SES to send the emails.
>>
>>
>> I think this is really a SAC question.  I don’t see the conference committee doing this or having a valid opinion on it.
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 2.c) Or maybe we already have something in place by the SAC?
>>> That would be good too, as long as we can guarantee no mails lost and big batches of email sent with no restrictions (like the "last instructions to attendees" email). I know that having an email server that works 100% fine is not an easy thing and if ticket sales mail gets lost, that's critical.
>>
>>
>> This is why I am slightly in favor of systems like mailchimp, constant contact, or any various others.  These companies manage to (almost) always be able to send high volume of email quickly and not get blacklisted or otherwise suffer a failure to promptly send (and deliver) lots of email.  There certainly may be other ways to reliably do the same but it is not an easy task, it has some risk, and the impacts can be substantial.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Eli
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> María.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>>
>>> Conference_dev mailing list
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A couple of technical questions

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello,


Am 16.09.2020 15:03 schrieb María Arias de Reyna:

> Thanks, Eli.
>
> I will contact SAC directly :) I was hoping this was already set up
> somewhere.
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:47 PM Eli Adam <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 5:09 AM Eli Adam <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:28 AM María Arias de Reyna
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> 1.- Who is in charge/knows about the community review software?
>>>> (I see it in https://community-review.foss4g.org/ ready for FOSS4G
>>>> Europe)
>>>> We want to develop some tool/prepare it to integrate with Pretalx so
>>>> everything is done automatically and smoothly.
>>>
>>>
>>> There is community review code that’s been used forever that I
>>> believe originated with Paul Ramsey.  I’m not sure if this is the
>>> same thing as you’re asking about.

Hello Maria,

about community review .

Please contact Volker Mische. He is working on the code to integrate the
community review plugn for Pretalx. We could use it then for all
conferences.

We talked about for FOSS4G-Europe Valmiera.

See you Astrid


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A couple of technical questions

delawen
Thank you, Astrid! This is very helpful.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
>
> Am 16.09.2020 15:03 schrieb María Arias de Reyna:
> > Thanks, Eli.
> >
> > I will contact SAC directly :) I was hoping this was already set up
> > somewhere.
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:47 PM Eli Adam <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 5:09 AM Eli Adam <[hidden email]>
> >> wrote:
> >>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:28 AM María Arias de Reyna
> >>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>> 1.- Who is in charge/knows about the community review software?
> >>>> (I see it in https://community-review.foss4g.org/ ready for FOSS4G
> >>>> Europe)
> >>>> We want to develop some tool/prepare it to integrate with Pretalx so
> >>>> everything is done automatically and smoothly.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> There is community review code that’s been used forever that I
> >>> believe originated with Paul Ramsey.  I’m not sure if this is the
> >>> same thing as you’re asking about.
>
> Hello Maria,
>
> about community review .
>
> Please contact Volker Mische. He is working on the code to integrate the
> community review plugn for Pretalx. We could use it then for all
> conferences.
>
> We talked about for FOSS4G-Europe Valmiera.
>
> See you Astrid
>
>
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev